Investment

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

So the news is that there is no news? Nothing that’s changed anyway. It sounds like a news piece to drum up interest, especially given the 80% remark. Not sure who would buy-up 80% or the business and then allow the (then) minority shareholder run it - unless he had huge belief in his partners’s ability to be successful.

I’m not sure that these are the most realistic terms.

Steve Parrish runs Palace with only a 10% ownership share, so it's not unheard of.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

If you want to lose a lot of money quite quickly…. Then yes I agree the attractiveness of the club is high up there.

You're stuck in a vortex of doom again, aren't ya, Rammie?

Shall I pop round and we can re-set you using the technique that worked so well last time?

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Steve Parrish runs Palace with only a 10% ownership share, so it's not unheard of.

It's possible, but I guess it depends on the people coming in and their estimations of Clowes as the decision maker. Parish was one of the people who bought the club from Simon Jordan after the banking crisis destroyed his source of funds, by the time he reduced his shares to the 10% he has now he had proven over more than a decade that he was very capable at running a club, with a semblance of stability at the very top level. 

I still think it's very unusual that someone would buy 80% of a loss-making business and hand the keys over to a person who has limited exposure and success at running a football club. It comes down to a few things, obviously (& rightly) Clowes is a popular figure with the fans and will retain the backing of us all for generations to come. I guess a new owner/investor could hide behind him as a shield, in that sense he's invaluable, but when it comes to making key decisions (hiring/firing managers, board members, etc) I'd have to assume that the person with the majority ownership will want to have final say. 

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's possible, but I guess it depends on the people coming in and their estimations of Clowes as the decision maker. Parish was one of the people who bought the club from Simon Jordan after the banking crisis destroyed his source of funds, by the time he reduced his shares to the 10% he has now he had proven over more than a decade that he was very capable at running a club, with a semblance of stability at the very top level. 

I still think it's very unusual that someone would buy 80% of a loss-making business and hand the keys over to a person who has limited exposure and success at running a football club. It comes down to a few things, obviously (& rightly) Clowes is a popular figure with the fans and will retain the backing of us all for generations to come. I guess a new owner/investor could hide behind him as a shield, in that sense he's invaluable, but when it comes to making key decisions (hiring/firing managers, board members, etc) I'd have to assume that the person with the majority ownership will want to have final say. 

Won't Clowes still own the stadium? So even if he only owns 20% of the shares, that is likely another influencing factor. 

We'll need an Investment rumours thread similar to the Transfer Rumours thread at this rate. In reply to the BBC Sport Derby account on Twitter, one person is claiming that there was an American consortium there as guests for the Bristol City game, another is claiming that Stephen Pearce was at the ground with officials from Clube Atletico Mineiro (Brazilian club), which would be a very random thing to pluck out of thin air.

40 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

A Chairman doesn't have to be the key decision maker. They could put a financial guy alongside him to ensure that their investment is managed well, with Clowes as figurehead with the knowledge and understanding of the club and fans.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

If one party bought 80% not a chance.

If a number of investors were to join him and he remains the largest shareholder with 20%, very feasible.

He took the club over as a single party but now wants a consortium of a kind, but won't go any lower than 20%. Other individuals may have 1% or 15%, but he remains the main man. Quite messy, but I'd have thought that's why he insists on retaining Executive Chairman status to ensure the business continues on the course he has set it on

4 minutes ago, Tombo said:

If a number of investors were to join him and he remains the largest shareholder with 20%, very feasible.

He took the club over as a single party but now wants a consortium of a kind, but won't go any lower than 20%. Other individuals may have 1% or 15%, but he remains the main man. Quite messy, but I'd have thought that's why he insists on retaining Executive Chairman status to ensure the business continues on the course he has set it on

Messy sounds about right. Think in the GSE days there were a couple of mentions of people not wanting to match other investors ambition and investment (taking a guess I picked this up from a Brett Wilson tweet when he was engaging with fans), meaning hands were tied about how much could actually be pumped in to the club.

The injection of funds is not as important as the manner in which we intend to spend those funds, we have some history of wasting our money.

DC needs to find an investor who is a good fit to the culture that DC has set up at the club. If that investor has a few bob to invest so much the better🐏

Fake Sheiks and weird Spaniards need not apply 😂

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

4 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Different magnitudes, but Jim Ratcliffe has only 25% of Man U but the Glaser's are letting him run the show, because all they want is their share premiums. So it does happen, but I agree it's fairly unusual.

1 hour ago, Barney1991 said:

Sure I heard dom say on radio derby a property tycoon was in pole position wonder if it’s Morgan who owned wolves wasn’t he in property 

I thought I heard that too but not sure if I heard it wrong 

Just now, Topram said:

Was also linked during admin (Jez Moxey consortium), so possible… I know a Wolves fan who would say that we should stay well clear… but I think they just got lucky with their subsequent ownership model and success!

16 minutes ago, Topram said:

Just listened too the podcast Dom mentioned a big source property company not a specific person though would of course own and run said company 

1 hour ago, Barney1991 said:

Sure I heard dom say on radio derby a property tycoon was in pole position wonder if it’s Morgan who owned wolves wasn’t he in property 

Morgan used to be chairman of Redrow .....the 2024 Sunday Times Rich List estimated his net worth at £915 million

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

We'll need an Investment rumours thread similar to the Transfer Rumours thread at this rate. In reply to the BBC Sport Derby account on Twitter, one person is claiming that there was an American consortium there as guests for the Bristol City game, another is claiming that Stephen Pearce was at the ground with officials from Clube Atletico Mineiro (Brazilian club), which would be a very random thing to pluck out of thin air.

The Brazilian club is attracting attention from the City Football Group who have bid £180 million for control.

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Very good point - although consortiums can provide numerous sources of cash flow I think from a football operation they rarely work. 

The saying that a camel is a horse designed by committee couldn't be more apt. 

I trust Clowes to do his absolute best to navigate any negotiation and due diligence. I suspect any person who does get to buy his shares will have to meet pretty rigorous background checks - especially if he intends to stay on as chairman.