Realistic expectations for this season.

17 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

...and yet Warne teams are known for having a late season slump because the players have been worked into the ground by the end of January. There's no evidence to say that his Rotherham teams suddenly found an extra gear after 30 games or so. Their fans would say the opposite.

... and yet his Rotherham promotion sides were said to have done better from January onwards. Something PW, RB et al plus RamsTV often said last season. I had a look.

17/18 promotion season. 33 points from the opening 23 games, 46 from the last 23. Better 2nd half of the season

19/20 promotion season, the shortened Covid hit season. 30 points from the opening 18 games, 32 from the last 17. Better 2nd half of the season.

21/22 promotion season. 47 points from the opening 23 games, 43 from the last 23. 4 less points in the 2nd half of the season, agreed, but hardly a slump.

It all depends on who we get in. If we can find another good striker as an option and 2 good defenders with the new GK I'll be much more confident of safety. With our current team and no new additions we'll be in a real scrap to stay up I think. There's just no depth at all. 

42 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

... and yet his Rotherham promotion sides were said to have done better from January onwards. Something PW, RB et al plus RamsTV often said last season. I had a look.

17/18 promotion season. 33 points from the opening 23 games, 46 from the last 23. Better 2nd half of the season

19/20 promotion season, the shortened Covid hit season. 30 points from the opening 18 games, 32 from the last 17. Better 2nd half of the season.

21/22 promotion season. 47 points from the opening 23 games, 43 from the last 23. 4 less points in the 2nd half of the season, agreed, but hardly a slump.

How did the relegation seasons go?

Just now, MadAmster said:

22-18 and 23-19. No great slump in either the 18/19 or the 20/21 season

If you want to look at more seasons, do the research.

I don't want to - they are very vague numbers - I consider other things more important, but you seemed keen on it.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't want to - they are very vague numbers - I consider other things more important, but you seemed keen on it.

Quite simply, a poster said PWs Rotherham were known for slumps. I merely checked what the stats say due to things PW, his staff and RamsTV said last season.

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I'm talking of late season slumps not a 50/50 PPG divide. January was an arbitrary measure off the top of my head. End of Feb would have been more accurate.  23 games often doesn't even put you into the new year.

2017/18 - they go from a run of 14 undefeated including 7 wins in a row up to Feb 24th, but only win 5 (and lose 5) of their remaining 12 league fixtures.

2019/20 - As you say, shortened season so there's not really time for the dip to happen. They only won once in their last 5 games though.

2021/22 - Top of the league on 28th Feb by 9 points, 34 games played.  They proceed to only win 4 (and lose 5 - doubling their season total) of their final 12 games. If that's not a slump I don't know what is!

Edited by May Contain Nuts

As of right now, I'd probably be the most worried if I was a Portsmouth fan. They won the league last season, but they've lost 4-5 of their starters from that team and I've been shocked at their lack of investment in the window. I honestly thought they would get Abu Kamara signed up, for one, perhaps even make a big splash to announce their return. It's been very tame. 

They have an excellent coach/manager in Mousinho (obviously) and the level of consistency last season was outstanding. The general rule of thumb for me is that the best team have the best goal differential, but the team with the most points manage situations better - they were excellent at it. 

I think Oxford are roughly about done in the market now, without outgoings. They're already at their squad limit, maybe even beyond it, so I think we know what we're getting from them this season. I would say at the moment they looked more equipped than Portsmouth: 

Portsmouth:

Norris

Williams   Poole   Shaughnessey  Farrell

Pack    Moxon

Murphy     Lang       Lane 

Yengi 

Oxford:

Cumming

Kioso     Moore     Brown     Currie

Vaulks   Sibley   Brannagan

Ebiowei     Harris     Phillips

I think we will finish 18th/19th. Looking at Oxford, Blackburn and Portsmouth’s squads I think we’re better and I also think Watford are sleep walking into a very bad season. Plymouth will also be down there with us and hopefully/probably below us with Wayne Rooney in charge of a team that struggled last season.

On 01/08/2024 at 06:14, secretsquirrel said:

I think it will be a slow start as we will see incoming loans at the end of august but will improve as the season goes on to end up around 15th.

First 8 games are pretty hard,would people feel better if we drew all 8 or won 3 but lost 5?

Looking at the fixtures, worryingly I can't see us winning 3 out of 8 games.

Maybe 2, and a draw or 2.

At the moment, avoiding relegation has to be the focus.

Keep competitive, throw in some surprises and improve the style of football. 

Regardless that I've been pro-Warne all along - believing he'd come good and get us up if we were patient. I thought when we were bad last season we were bloody terrible. 

Against better opposition he HAS to show more team cohesion, there has to be more pattern to our play, we need to be able to hold onto the ball more....pre-season hasn't been convincing to say the least.

I do like him and I like his ethics.

He had earned patience due to his track record. Everything that was predicted came to pass ie it wouldn't be pretty but he'd get us up.

Now with an increased budget, bigger crowds/expectations he needs to elevate himself and push on to show he can better than he's been before...if the poor performances return without the points then I wouldn't just 'give him the season' regardless. 

In any other world, this coming season would be considered utterly boring. 

Stuck in mid-table (Say 11th to 16th ish) throughout.  The odd win, the odd draw, the odd defeat.  Inconsistencies galore, particularly results-wise.  No great runs... good or bad.
No sign of a promotion push (Or even Play-Offs, for that matter)...  and never in true danger of relegation.

In this world... the one where we almost died not so long ago, and are still taking medication to keep the slow recovery heading in the right direction (Touch wood!)... I will take that.

2025/26... We kick Ass!

🐏

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I expect bottom 8 given the lack of signings and other things considering.

I feel Warne will have done a good job if he can have us near to the top of the latter third. Anything above 16th right now and he deserves great respect.

Long gone are the days when you started pre season with your full squad. Clubs aren't letting players go until they have a replacement in the door and/or they are hoping to generate a bidding war. PL loanees are currently away on far off trips with their clubs. Players hold out hoping for a better offer from the club they've got one from and maybe even one from a better club.

It will be the end of August before we see the squad completed. Something PW said months ago. We're not the only ones either. He knows who he wants, they are available but clubs, players and agents hold the aces. Surely, we all know and understand that, don't we?