Paris Olympics

1of4

2 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from elsewhere after this mornings fight.

“Angela Carini was in floods of tears as she stopped to speak in the interview area, having abandoned her bout with after only 46 seconds. Her voice quavering, she said that she pulled out because she had never been hit so hard. Imane Khelif swept through the mixed zone without saying a word. It is staggering to think how only yesterday, Mark Adams, the International Olympic Committee’s spokesman, had said that everyone should just “dial down” the issue and not instigate a “witchhunt”. To reiterate, Khelif had failed two sex tests by the International Boxing Association. It is, frankly, an absolute scandal.”

……………..unfortunately someone is going to get seriously injured!

spacer.png

Khelif is literally a woman and her record isn't anything special either, historically doesn't have a history of good stopping power either. Carini just got battered and is trying to use this an excuse. If getting punched in the face hurts her so much, maybe boxing isn't the sport for her. 

P.S. it's illegal to be gay and illegal to transition in Algeria, you really think she was born male? 

Edited by Jubbs

10 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Khelif is literally a woman and her record isn't anything special either, historically doesn't have a history of good stopping power either. Carini just got battered and is trying to use this an excuse. If getting punched in the face hurts her so much, maybe boxing isn't the sport for her. 

P.S. it's illegal to be gay and illegal to transition in Algeria, you really think she was born male? 

Careful, your 'woke' is showing 😉

Amazing that the usual voices were up in arms about this without the critical information that Khelif is a woman.

Even if she didn't grow up in Algeria, no chance would the country choose them to represent the country.

11 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Careful, your 'woke' is showing 😉

Amazing that the usual voices were up in arms about this without the critical information that Khelif is a woman.

Even if she didn't grow up in Algeria, no chance would the country choose them to represent the country.

Wait, what? 

She was born a woman? I don't understand then? I keep seeing that there's two of them born men written everywhere! Admittedly that's what I got from that Guardian article. It even points out the punch power of those who have gone through male puberty. 

I'm confused as f

21 minutes ago, Alph said:

Wait, what? 

She was born a woman? I don't understand then? I keep seeing that there's two of them born men written everywhere! Admittedly that's what I got from that Guardian article. It even points out the punch power of those who have gone through male puberty. 

I'm confused as f

Probably intersex. The IBA president claimed she had XY chromosones when she was disqualified last year. The issue is the increased blood testosterone levels that come along with that.

35 minutes ago, Alph said:

Wait, what? 

I'm confused as f

I would imagine she is intersex tbh as we've seen this issue with other athletes. 

2 hours ago, Anon said:

It's incredibly frustrating trying to find actual information on this boxing story. It seems like neither the IOC or the IBA are willing to be transparent regarding what their respective testing procedures actually are.

2 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

What I cannot understand is where is the pride in entering a contest where you know you're going to win? Just strikes me as similar to a PE teacher getting involved in kids sport and being proud and boastful when they beat them...   You just have to look at the physical differences between the two and you can see the poor girl in blue doesn't stand a chance. I don't blame her for not shaking the opponents hand as I doubt I'd have done either. 

50 minutes ago, Alph said:

Wait, what? 

I'm confused as f

It's a similar story to what's been going on for decades with the likes of Caster Semenya. But because it's happening in 2024, it's been dragged into the culture war.

For example, JK Rowling repeatedly called her a man in a tweet today, which she quite literally isn't. Rowling just can't see the wood for the trees because she's gone so far down the transgender rabbit hole.

The intersex/testosterone stuff is a legitimate issue that there are no easy answers to. I find it sad that it's now being used as a political football by those whose whole lives are dedicated (on both sides) to winning an imaginary internet war.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

30 minutes ago, Srg said:

It’s crazy how quickly disinformation is spreading at the moment. Whether it’s this boxer, or all the unrest over the past week. Musk’s “free speech” hellscape vision. 

A lie is half way around the world before the truth has its shoes on. Mark Twain had it nailed. Mostly.

Might as well make it all the way around the world now, mind.

4 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

What I cannot understand is where is the pride in entering a contest where you know you're going to win? Just strikes me as similar to a PE teacher getting involved in kids sport and being proud and boastful when they beat them...   You just have to look at the physical differences between the two and you can see the poor girl in blue doesn't stand a chance. I don't blame her for not shaking the opponents hand as I doubt I'd have done either. 

And it's the fair-haired and slightly balding Charlton to kick off...

3 hours ago, Jubbs said:

If the DNA test is accurate, and she does actually have XY chromosomes, she is biologically male, whatever her chosen gender is, and that fact makes her participation in female sports potentially problematic irrespective of how good a boxer she is. All of the political posturing around this issue is unhealthy and unhelpful, particularly when it veers into misogyny.

7 minutes ago, Crewton said:

If the DNA test is accurate, and she does actually have XY chromosomes, she is biologically male, whatever her chosen gender is, and that fact makes her participation in female sports potentially problematic irrespective of how good a boxer she is. All of the political posturing around this issue is unhealthy and unhelpful, particularly when it veers into misogyny.

Before commenting, please do some research. 

It is suspected she was born with a DSD (Differences in sex development), which has never been confirmed, this is an umbrella term for different conditions people can develop in the womb. 

She was banned by the IBA. The IBA's President is Russian Umar Kremlev, a Putin ally. So it's not as if should hold lots of merit either.

Khelif is not transgender, she's not intersex and she's not had surgery. Never identified as a male and has been medically examined and determined to be biologically female. It's just because of the biochemical testosterone test.

She is a woman who meets the IOC’s standards for competition in the women’s category. The reality is, she's not even that good, she lost in the quarter final of the last Olympics.

Do you think Michael Phelps should be banned because his body produces less than half the amount of lactic acid a normal athletes does?

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It's a similar story to what's been going on for decades with the likes of Caster Semenya. But because it's happening in 2024, it's been dragged into the culture war.

For example, JK Rowling repeatedly called her a man in a tweet today, which she quite literally isn't. Rowling just can't see the wood for the trees because she's gone so far down the transgender rabbit hole.

The intersex/testosterone stuff is a legitimate issue that there are no easy answers to. I find it sad that it's now being used as a political football by those whose whole lives are dedicated (on both sides) to winning an imaginary internet war.

Semenya is the perfect example tbh and something where there is no easy answer. For what it's worth, it's not simply a culture war issue as Semenya has been very controversial even since I was a kid. I think in case of inter-sex or DSD where abnormal testosterone levels are found then it has to be done on a case by case basis. It's something which for physical sports like boxing or rugby then the increased risk of injury to other competitors needs to be taken into account. In those cases it's not akin to a Phelps or a Bolt who have an inbuilt physical advantage. 

4 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Semenya is the perfect example tbh and something where there is no easy answer. For what it's worth, it's not simply a culture war issue as Semenya has been very controversial even since I was a kid. I think in case of inter-sex or DSD where abnormal testosterone levels are found then it has to be done on a case by case basis. It's something which for physical sports like boxing or rugby then the increased risk of injury to other competitors needs to be taken into account. In those cases it's not akin to a Phelps or a Bolt who have an inbuilt physical advantage. 

We're in agreement. My point was that it shouldn't be a culture war issue, as it's been going on for a long time. But, because this particular incident has happened in 2024, the culture warriors have latched onto it and are treating it as though it's a trans issue, which it simply isn't.

I think a lot of this is driven by the nature of the X platform these days, but that's a matter for the other thread.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We're in agreement. My point was that it shouldn't be a culture war issue, as it's been going on for a long time. But, because this particular incident has happened in 2024, the culture warriors have latched onto it and are treating it as though it's a trans issue, which it simply isn't.

I think a lot of this is driven by the nature of the X platform these days, but that's a matter for the other thread.

Ahh sorry slightly misread that! Yeah, it's like chum for the culture war sharks unfortunately. I feel sorry for all the competitors involved as it's not easy on any side. I do think we need fair women's sports though and until the science is clear on hormone development and athletic performance a third category may be needed or at least adjustments to even the playing field. 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

It is suspected she was born with a DSD (Differences in sex development), which has never been confirmed, this is an umbrella term for different conditions people can develop in the womb. 

She was banned by the IBA. The IBA's President is Russian Umar Kremlev, a Putin ally. So it's not as if should hold lots of merit either.

Khelif is not transgender, she's not intersex and she's not had surgery. Never identified as a male and has been medically examined and determined to be biologically female. It's just because of the biochemical testosterone test.

She is a woman who meets the IOC’s standards for competition in the women’s category. The reality is, she's not even that good, she lost in the quarter final of the last Olympics.

Do you think Michael Phelps should be banned because his body produces less than half the amount of lactic acid a normal athletes does?

That’s what I was thinking. It’s not her fault that she has more testosterone. She just has a natural god given advantage, which most elected athletes have in some respect.

It’s like a super power. But then, on the other hand, would superman be allowed to enter the boxing?

3 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Maybe you should do some research before commenting to

1. I didn't claim she was transgender.

2. I said "IF the DNA test was accurate..."

3. Your rather condescending remark that Carini shouldn't box if she can't take a punch ignored the fact that she has a world championship silver medal to her name.

4. Your claim that "Khelif isn't even very good" is even more ludicrous. This is her medal tally to date:

Screenshot_20240801-233730.thumb.png.5d170fe26dfa791885dd55a83abdaa9e.png

Quite emotional scenes as Murray bowed out. He went out scrapping, as is his trademark, but it didn't really feel fitting after such a glittering career. For some reason, many love to hate on the lad, but I've never really understood why. Not a huge tennis fan myself, but to have been ranked #1 in the Federer, Nadal and Djokovic era, is no mean feat and he's by some way the best British player I've ever seen.