Jacob Widell Zetterstrom - SIGNED, FINALLY - 3yr deal

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

26-year-old Swedish goalkeeper currently playing for Djurgarden in the Swedish first division.

Article says we have bid but the two clubs are currently far apart on valuation:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/KMMl8o/avslojar-derby-county-vill-kopa-loss-jacob-widell-zetterstrom?utm_source=iosapp&utm_medium=share

FWIW, TransferMarkt puts his current market value at 2.5m Euros. I'd bet they'd be looking for something like that, and we'll have bid 400k or similar.

tbh I'd expect this to be one we put 'feelers' out for but don't actually expect to be able to get, a full international Swedish keeper (even if it was just 45mins in one appearance) with multiple clubs interested feels a bit beyond our reach.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

6 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

It does seem to indicate we have moved on from Iversen.

Leicester must have moved the goalpost on salary contribution or Iversen wants to sit it out on a larger salary , as he was basically here 5 weeks ago.  If it's Leicester, it's unfortunate, if it's Iversen himself then probably not the bloke we need in a squad that will need to battle it out.

On 08/07/2024 at 14:07, RamLad1884 said:

Deal for a keeper already done, just dealing with medical and permits. Can only imagine on that basis it must be Ryan? 

Never heard of this guy by name but heard the above tidbit earlier this month, would make far more sense with the point on permits. 

Also seems to be the elusive 4th keeper we were interested in, seems since day one we were interested in 4 options and this one was the one kept quiet. 

Fairly certain their side would not let this news leak unless they were doing it to get a better final offer, especially as their manager has left the door open for a deal 

From what I’ve heard the club are very relaxed and not concerned about the GK situation, when I asked if that means Vickers I was told he won’t be No.1 at Blackburn. 

Keepers have been shown around and offers are in to clubs and also to free agents. Not great info as anyone could guess at that. 

As we aren’t privy to the Swedish league, I thought I’d look on the local forum to his team to see what they thought of him. 

He is considered one of the best keepers in Sweden, but struggles with distribution or at least that’s what I think ‘bad feet’ was the translation for - maybe he just has really bad callus. He’s also had concussion issues, hence the helmet. 

Nevertheless, we aren’t the first English club that’s been in for him - Wolves have sent many scouts over and even their goalkeeping coach (Neil Cutler) has been over to see him first hand. The general consensus is that they’re looking at 35-40m Kroner for him and he is leaving the club. They’re just trying to build a market for him, so maybe the club have even been approached by his agent as a possible option, which when the Ryan move broke down we decided to act on. 

We have definitely been frustrated with our goalkeeper search so glad we are considering something outside the box - although concerns over distribution and injuries are far from ideal. 

48 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Anyone else think we will start the season with Vickers first choice?

It wouldn't overly surprise me because Warne seems to like him, but I hope not. He is not terrible or anything, but to me (and seemingly many others) he just felt 'more or less OK' while standing in for Wildsmith. He didn't let us down or anything, but after his brief stint with the gloves, I was less than convinced that he's be our long term number 1. We need an upgrade IMHO.

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

As we aren’t privy to the Swedish league, I thought I’d look on the local forum to his team to see what they thought of him. 

He is considered one of the best keepers in Sweden, but struggles with distribution or at least that’s what I think ‘bad feet’ was the translation for - maybe he just has really bad callus. He’s also had concussion issues, hence the helmet. 

Nevertheless, we aren’t the first English club that’s been in for him - Wolves have sent many scouts over and even their goalkeeping coach (Neil Cutler) has been over to see him first hand. The general consensus is that they’re looking at 35-40m Kroner for him and he is leaving the club. They’re just trying to build a market for him, so maybe the club have even been approached by his agent as a possible option, which when the Ryan move broke down we decided to act on. 

We have definitely been frustrated with our goalkeeper search so glad we are considering something outside the box - although concerns over distribution and injuries are far from ideal. 

It’s not easy to decipher but there’s talk of a €2m bid that’s not been well received by some, although others pointing out that he’s in the last year of his deal.  

6 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

It wouldn't overly surprise me because Warne seems to like him, but I hope not. He is not terrible or anything, but to me (and seemingly many others) he just felt 'more or less OK' while standing in for Wildsmith. He didn't let us down or anything, but after his brief stint with the gloves, I was less than convinced that he's be our long term number 1. We need an upgrade IMHO.

We do, but I have no judgement on Vickers - he did ok whilst going through god knows what mental trauma in his personal life. 

1 hour ago, Sharp_Ram said:

It's starting to look that way isn't it 

I was hoping we'd get a new 'keeper announcement today ahead of the Stockport game - "surprise, we had a goalie the whole time!" -  but we're nearly after lunchtime now... Chesterfield game is next Weds.

I'm sure Vickers would be fine to start the season but I think everyone was hoping for an upgrade, especially after the names we were linked to. I do like a Scandinavian goalie though.

Another interesting one, I’m glad we’re being much more imaginative with our recruitment this window. The Swedish league isn’t your typical Championship market, so we may have more change of success there.

That said, whilst none of us have any clue how good this guy is, it does feel like he may be out of our price range. Swedish international, young, under contract, with lots of top flight experience - you’re probably talking demands of multiple millions from his club. Whilst we probably have enough in the budget (thanks to the Kellyman sell on), I simply can’t see us spending that much on a single player - especially not a goalkeeper. 

4 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I was hoping we'd get a new 'keeper announcement today ahead of the Stockport game - "surprise, we had a goalie the whole time!" -  but we're nearly after lunchtime now... Chesterfield game is next Weds.

I'm sure Vickers would be fine to start the season but I think everyone was hoping for an upgrade, especially after the names we were linked to. I do like a Scandinavian goalie though.

Agreed. Especially if it's a new style of play, he'll also have to form relationship with his back line and gain an understanding of their strengths/weaknesses I. E. Don't play pass to Bradley under pressure 

19 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

You're probably right - after all, only 43 days to go before the window closes.

Noted thanks. It's not necessarily about the window, more so the length of preseason, getting bedded in squad. Being in Spain this week is a big part of it. Understandably in some instances(loans) won't be around till later on in the window.