Jacob Widell Zetterstrom - SIGNED, FINALLY - 3yr deal

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Blackburn have done very little, and will lose Szmodics sooner rather than later. What on earth is going on at Hull should be concerning too. Lost 63 of the 68 goals they scored last season through player sales, and the only signing they've made is a full back yesterday.

A number of my mates are Hull fans and they’re not happy with the summer so far, Rosenior gone, sold off a number of their best players (for decent money) and the recruitment is painfully slow, plus they’ve got a new manager who hasn’t experienced the championship before despite his reputation in Germany.

Depending on how the next week or so plays out in terms of their recruitment they could be in for a very long season. 

An interview with Zetterström which according to Google translate goes as follows;

STOCKHOLM. Jacob Widell Zetterström can play his last game in Djurgården tomorrow, as the goalkeeper is said to be very close to Derby.
- England is the country of dreams, I have followed English football all my life, he tells FD.

On Thursday evening, Djurgården plays Conference League qualifiers against FC Progrès Niederkorn from Luxembourg.

If Jacob Widell Zetterström will play that match?

- That's the idea, he says shortly after Djurgården's closed training on Tele2.

The question is justified, this because Djurgården and Championship club Derby are said to have agreed on a transfer around the goalkeeper.

- I have nothing more to add than what has already been said, he says.

Is it difficult to focus on the match when it is written that you are leaving?

- No I do not think so. People have gotten used to it being written to the right and left. I always focus on what happens on the pitch, I leave what happens off the pitch to others.

Is England the dream country?

- Yes, I would say that. I have followed English football my whole life.

Is tomorrow's match your last in Djurgården?

- I know as little as you, I have full focus here. That's all I have to say.

16 hours ago, Srg said:

I get what you’re saying, but you’re really just doing the opposite. He’s tall, so therefore he’s just like this other player who’s tall. 

Fact is, those that have seen him play characterise him as good from crosses and a good shot stopper. 

He does come with a good reputation so I'm not disparaging the signing if we make it. What I'm getting at is that there's far more to being a good goalkeeper than just height. In fact, in the case of Roos it actually made him less dominant in his area, so there are a lot of generalisations being thrown around because of his height with reference to him clearing crosses and defending set pieces.

I caught some flack in the responses for this post, people saying I'm generalising. I'm not generalising, everybody else is generalising!!

I'm not saying he'll be anything like Roos. In fact I also compared him to David De Gea. My instinct is that his ability will be somewhere between the two, which is a wide spectrum for him to land in 😂

This is a very strange business, with Zetterstrom playing for his Swedish team this coming Thursday night. Surely that means there's a lot up in the air? He might be injured; he might be putting himself in the shop window for other offers. To which end it's odd Leigh Curtis wrote his piece for the DET. And SECorner has been exceptional in terms of calling the deals, but if this were effectively done he wouldn't be playing elsewhere. Don't know what to make of it, except it has to mean we're keeping our options open until the ink is dried on the contract? And that it might yet be Iversen.

But I'd love to get Zetterstrom over the line.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This is a very strange business, with Zetterstrom playing for his Swedish team this coming Thursday night. Surely that means there's a lot up in the air? He might be injured; he might be putting himself in the shop window for other offers. To which end it's odd Leigh Curtis wrote his piece for the DET. And SECorner has been exceptional in terms of calling the deals, but if this were effectively done he wouldn't be playing elsewhere. Don't know what to make of it, except it has to mean we're keeping our options open until the ink is dried on the contract? And that it might yet be Iversen.

But I'd love to get Zetterstrom over the line.

It's no different to signing players in the January window, though. I'm not too worried, but it appears we're retaining an interest in Iversen in case contract negotiations go south.

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s an odd one, but I wonder if it’s what’s secured us the deal. Could we have made a consideration of their European commitments in exchange for a more favourable deal? 

What if they qualify for the next round?

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It makes sense - he's a key player for Djurgardens and whilst they're in Europe they will want to retain his services. An agreement is in place, it seems, so nothing to worry about. 

Yeah I agree. I'm really not too bothered by this.

Let him play those games and then he can come straight into our squad completely match-fit. As long as he's here and ready to go for the start of the season, I don't mind it at all.

Would rather him arrive on a high after helping his team progress than come here a bit earlier and miss out on all of that. 

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

He does come with a good reputation so I'm not disparaging the signing if we make it. What I'm getting at is that there's far more to being a good goalkeeper than just height. In fact, in the case of Roos it actually made him less dominant in his area, so there are a lot of generalisations being thrown around because of his height with reference to him clearing crosses and defending set pieces.

I caught some flack in the responses for this post, people saying I'm generalising. I'm not generalising, everybody else is generalising!!

I'm not saying he'll be anything like Roos. In fact I also compared him to David De Gea. My instinct is that his ability will be somewhere between the two, which is a wide spectrum for him to land in 😂

Roos' height wasn't what made him "less dominant in his area". In fact, it was one of the areas to his game Eric Steele praised him on when he joined us. He was also a very good shot stopper, something you claimed he was poor at in an earlier post by saying he "never learned how to use his long limbs to save shots."

The Playoff Final blunder knocked his confidence and a large proportion of the fanbase never allowed him to regain it. It was an area which started to improve again in his final season before he was replaced by Allsop.

This must be because they cannot get a keeper in until after those 2 games. So maybe we have agreed to let him play in those for a better deal.

I hope nothing is signed yet. Because if it is and he gets injured then that is ridiculous on our part.

Almost certainly means Vickers will play at Blackburn.

Would imagine Zetterstrom would start in the cup game.

13 minutes ago, strawhillram said:

What if they qualify for the next round?

Pass 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Hypothetically I guess by that point their increased revenue is secured and they’ve had the time to source a suitable replacement so all parties can move forward. They enjoy a brief European adventure and JWZ realises his dream of playing in England securing promotion to the PL at the end of his first season with his new club, Derby County 😁 

29 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yeah I agree. I'm really not too bothered by this.

Let him play those games and then he can come straight into our squad completely match-fit. As long as he's here and ready to go for the start of the season, I don't mind it at all.

Would rather him arrive on a high after helping his team progress than come here a bit earlier and miss out on all of that. 

Gives others time to come hijack the deal

My understanding is that they’d have to register a squad for each qualifying round, so if he left before both legs are played, any replacement would not be able to play. It makes sense for Djurgardens as they’d be jeopardising their European campaign, however it’s a difficult position for us.

Sign the contracts now and then he picks up an injury, we’ve spent what I imagine is a large part of our budget on someone who can’t play.

Wait for the qualifiers to be played before finalising things, and run the risk of someone coming in last minute to put a more attractive offer in front of him.