Gareth Southgate Resigns as England Manager

Wolfie

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You might be on to something here.

They could even give him a fancy title, such as, 'manager assistant' or something like that...

you could (re)appoint Southgate as chief diversity officer / head of Compliance and HR then appoint a football manager as (err) manager

Names like Pep and Klopp being banded around, absolutely beyond any rationale. let’s be honest? Ignoring their status in the game, they’re also descendants from nations who have as good of prospects as ourselves. If they want to get into international management they would simply go manage their own nations. 

Also, Pep is a manager who puts together the most intricate systems in world football - you give him 5 weeks of the year to work with his team and you essentially lose the biggest skillset he brings to the table. 

International management is very different and honestly I think we need to source one who is high-calibre tactically, a person who can bring a group together and lead a dressing room. The coaching aspect, at club level, is a high priority (obviously) as you want someone who can develop talent. International management is very different.

Edited by Ambitious

Eddie Howe & Potter the most likely but they are both young so may not fancy the gig, and they have little international experience.

Klopp may be, as unemployed

Not seen the name mention anywhere but he is still involved in football and was well liked by the FA when David Dein was there, Arsene.

26 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

International management is very different and honestly I think we need to source one who is high-calibre tactically, a person who can bring a group together and lead a dressing room. The coaching aspect, at club level, is a high priority (obviously) as you want someone who can develop talent. International management is very different.

On that basis, that also applies to other club managers like Howe, Potter & Pochettino!

So if we're discounting all club manager cv's then you're left with Carsley or a foreign international manager. Nah.

Edited by Carnero

41 minutes ago, Carnero said:

On that basis, that also applies to other club managers like Howe, Potter & Pochettino!

So if we're discounting all club manager cv's then you're left with Carsley or a foreign international manager. Nah.

I wouldn’t personally look at either of those three. Carsley is an interesting one and I wouldn’t be adverse to an in-house hire, but the FA and players will know whether he is a genuine option. He’s been successful in an international format within the building but how highly regarded he is among the players who have stepped up from u21 will be noted. 

Managing the egos, being the sole voice of the dressing room when you’re dealing with not just elite-footballers, but brands in their own right. A truly difficult job and the reason why person’s CV at club level isn't a very good indicator on their potential with the England job. 

Since the Euros and Word Cup are ultimately cup competitions, surely we should be looking at managers who do well in our domestic cups.  Somebody who can motivate a team for that one crucial game.  Lampard did well for us in the cups, and of course the playoff semi final, but ultimately failed in the playoff final.  Took Chelsea to the FA cup final, but lost again.  I think it is reasonable to assume he could do a good a job as Southgate.  I wouldn't be that upset with the appointment, but of course we want to do better than Southgate.

If people are considering Carsley, then why not Paul Simpson?  Also a youth World Cup winner.  If you dismiss the idea of Simpson, then I think you have to do the same for Carsley.

Going back to the domestic cups, there is another name with a Derby connection.  I know I'll get a lot of grief for this, but Nigel Clough took third division Sheffield United to a FA cup semi final and Burton to the semi final of the league cup.  Former England player unlike many of the popular candidates.

Carsley seems like the FA's most likely choice. He's now been coaching England youth for 4 years working with a lot of the younger players we want as our core squad for years to come.

Debutants under Carsley include: Trafford, Lewis, Quansah, Colwill, Branthwaite, Wharton, Elliott, Gomes, Gordon, Palmer, Madueke, Archer. All of which have a chance of breaking through in the future (some sooner than others). He also used Gallagher and Guehi (having made their U21 debuts before he was head coach). Overall, he'll know the players well, meaning he can maintain a good level of cohesion.

We now have 2 years to prepare for the World Cup, so players like Walker (34) and Trippier (33) should only be called up in an emergency. 2 years should also be plenty of time to transition towards the likely World Cup squad. For example, somethng like this:
GK: Pickford, Ramsdale, Trafford
CB: Stones, Guehi, Branthwaite, Colwill, Quansah
RB: White, Alexander-Arnold
LB: Shaw, Hall
CM: Rice, Wharton, Mainoo, Elliott
RW: Saka, Madueke
AM: Bellingham, Foden, Palmer
LW: Gordon, Eze
CF: Kane, Watkins, Solanke

2 hours ago, DerbysLane said:

Since the Euros and Word Cup are ultimately cup competitions, surely we should be looking at managers who do well in our domestic cups.  Somebody who can motivate a team for that one crucial game.  Lampard did well for us in the cups, and of course the playoff semi final, but ultimately failed in the playoff final.  Took Chelsea to the FA cup final, but lost again.  I think it is reasonable to assume he could do a good a job as Southgate.  I wouldn't be that upset with the appointment, but of course we want to do better than Southgate.

If people are considering Carsley, then why not Paul Simpson?  Also a youth World Cup winner.  If you dismiss the idea of Simpson, then I think you have to do the same for Carsley.

Going back to the domestic cups, there is another name with a Derby connection.  I know I'll get a lot of grief for this, but Nigel Clough took third division Sheffield United to a FA cup semi final and Burton to the semi final of the league cup.  Former England player unlike many of the popular candidates.

Give him a few seasons at a Premiership club and who knows?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Carsley seems like the FA's most likely choice. He's now been coaching England youth for 4 years working with a lot of the younger players we want as our core squad for years to come.

Debutants under Carsley include: Trafford, Lewis, Quansah, Colwill, Branthwaite, Wharton, Elliott, Gomes, Gordon, Palmer, Madueke, Archer. All of which have a chance of breaking through in the future (some sooner than others). He also used Gallagher and Guehi (having made their U21 debuts before he was head coach). Overall, he'll know the players well, meaning he can maintain a good level of cohesion.

We now have 2 years to prepare for the World Cup, so players like Walker (34) and Trippier (33) should only be called up in an emergency. 2 years should also be plenty of time to transition towards the likely World Cup squad. For example, somethng like this:
GK: Pickford, Ramsdale, Trafford
CB: Stones, Guehi, Branthwaite, Colwill, Quansah
RB: White, Alexander-Arnold
LB: Shaw, Hall
CM: Rice, Wharton, Mainoo, Elliott
RW: Saka, Madueke
AM: Bellingham, Foden, Palmer
LW: Gordon, Eze
CF: Kane, Watkins, Solanke

Looks good but Kane will be almost 33 by then. 

I don't understand why people want Carsley.  Presumably it's partly because he's never failed anywhere.  But that is only because he's never tried anywhere.  Always turned down the chance to manage a club.

The odds are weird.  Darren Moore and Jodie Morris are 50 to 1.  Chris Powell 100/1.  Paul Warne and Liam Rosenior 150 to 1.  The latter would be a media friendly choice.

I don't like the bloke, but Chris Wilder is 250 to 1 and surely should be higher in the betting?

Edited by DerbysLane

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And the alternatives are? He'd still be one of our best 3 CFs.

That’s the area of the team that looks a bit weaker in future years.  Kane will be 32, close to 33 at the next World Cup and both Watkins and Toney will be 30.  I’m not convinced about Solanke but what other English strikers are there?  We might need a manager and coaching team who can be flexible and adapt to “false 9” system.

44 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

That’s the area of the team that looks a bit weaker in future years.  Kane will be 32, close to 33 at the next World Cup and both Watkins and Toney will be 30.  I’m not convinced about Solanke but what other English strikers are there?  We might need a manager and coaching team who can be flexible and adapt to “false 9” system.

Aside from the 4 mentioned, the only others I currently see having a (small) chance are:

• Eddie Nketiah. Needs to find a club to start most games. Already 25 though.
  • Cameron Archer. 4 goals in 25 games for Sheff Utd last season. Only 22.
  • Ellis Simms. 13 goals and 1 assist in 2728 Championship mins. Only 23, but would need to play PL football in 25/26 and have a very good seasonto get into the World Cup squad
  • Jay Stansfield. A decent 12 goals and 2 assists in 43 Championship games for a poor Birmingham side. Only 21 and should be playing PL football for Fulham this season.

I don't think we'll see much of 

I think the top two are probably Klopp and Carsley. Klopp because his brand of football is attractive but he can probably coach it into the players much quicker than pep and his man-management is legendary. Carsley because he's in the system, done a good job with the under 21's and tactically is a step ahead of Southgate. The outside 3 I'd put on the list would O'Neil since he's done a damn good job everywhere he's been and likes to play adventurous football. The real outside shots would be Potter and Howe. Of these Howe would be my least favoured manager who I really think flatters to deceive. Potter would be interesting given he can do well with resources, plays a good brand of football and is an innovator in the same mould of Southgate psychologically. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Aside from the 4 mentioned, the only others I currently see having a (small) chance are:

• Eddie Nketiah. Needs to find a club to start most games. Already 25 though.
  • Cameron Archer. 4 goals in 25 games for Sheff Utd last season. Only 22.
  • Ellis Simms. 13 goals and 1 assist in 2728 Championship mins. Only 23, but would need to play PL football in 25/26 and have a very good seasonto get into the World Cup squad
  • Jay Stansfield. A decent 12 goals and 2 assists in 43 Championship games for a poor Birmingham side. Only 21 and should be playing PL football for Fulham this season.

I don't think we'll see much of 

Out of those, there’s only Nketiah with a decent amount of PL experience.  Ad as you say, Stansfield needs to breakthrough this season.  The main striker role is there for the taking.  We’ve got an array of attacking midfielders and wide players all around the right age.

And to think, going into the Euro’s we thought the defence was the weakest part of the team but we’ve had the emergence of Guehi, Konsa filled in well and it’s only a matter of time before Branthwaite is a regular in the squad.  In that regard, maybe Maguire being injured was a blessing in disguise.

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

He may as well get a shell on his back if so.

Huge vacancy for the next Kane/Rooney.

Kane was invited to a couples only fancy dress, He turned up dressed as a Clam, The doorman says it's a couples only party, But I'm with a girl he said, Where is she, Here on my back...it's me shell 

I'll get me coat 😁

50 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Kane was invited to a couples only fancy dress, He turned up dressed as a Clam, The doorman says it's a couples only party, But I'm with a girl he said, Where is she, Here on my back...it's me shell 

I'll get me coat 😁

The old ones are the best