Sibley gone

On 02/07/2024 at 17:15, jimtastic56 said:

Don’t agree. Warne said he was the best finisher at the club then stuck him at left-back. Scoring goals is the most expensive part of football. He will be in demand . Even as an impact sub . Would not be suprised to see him at Bristol City . Gutted to see him go as I rate him as much better than Bird . The only thing we don’t know is about his attitude. Another manager will get the best out of him . Mark my words. 

Yes, probably the best natural finisher at the club, and an honest player, no doubt about it. Hopefully he finds the right club, and a coach/manager capable of getting the best from him. 

34 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes, probably the best natural finisher at the club, and an honest player, no doubt about it. Hopefully he finds the right club, and a coach/manager capable of getting the best from him. 

No-one seems impressed that he can learn two new positions and play them to a reasonable level in a short time. If only he'd been played further forward...still there's time for him to catch up.

1 hour ago, Ram1988 said:

I wonder what his main motives were for leaving us for Oxford. Increase in wages? Or more guarantees around his playing time? Or the position he was being asked to play?

Probably all three, with the wages being an increase on what he was offered rather than what he was originally on.

Echo a lot of the sentiment on here, gutted to see him leave

But I just don’t think he’s good enough to play 10 for a lot of teams. He needs to be a Vydra type 10 where’s he’s basically a second striker who’s encouraged to shoot lots - AKA he needs the team building around him a bit

Taking the ball with his back to goal though, I’ve always thought he was pretty poor - I specifically remember a game in the Rooney season against Milwall where he finally got a start at 10 and got targeted by them. Everytime the ball was played into him, one of their CB’s came up to pressure him and he struggled every time. Think he got hauled off at half time.

I really hope he finds his place somewhere because there’s clearly so much potential to unlock but I loved him as Sibchenko, he finally had the time and space to pick up the ball and drive with it.

Massive ‘what if’ will always be if Covid never happened. Cocu finally finding his legs, Rooney still in shape and Sibley on fire - it could have been brilliant.

6 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I wonder what his main motives where for leaving us for Oxford. Increase in wages? Or more guarantees around his playing time? Or the position he was being asked to play?

All three I would imagine, probably longer contract too

3 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Echo a lot of the sentiment on here, gutted to see him leave

But I just don’t think he’s good enough to play 10 for a lot of teams. He needs to be a Vydra type 10 where’s he’s basically a second striker who’s encouraged to shoot lots - AKA he needs the team building around him a bit

Taking the ball with his back to goal though, I’ve always thought he was pretty poor - I specifically remember a game in the Rooney season against Milwall where he finally got a start at 10 and got targeted by them. Everytime the ball was played into him, one of their CB’s came up to pressure him and he struggled every time. Think he got hauled off at half time.

I really hope he finds his place somewhere because there’s clearly so much potential to unlock but I loved him as Sibchenko, he finally had the time and space to pick up the ball and drive with it.

Massive ‘what if’ will always be if Covid never happened. Cocu finally finding his legs, Rooney still in shape and Sibley on fire - it could have been brilliant.

I always felt he would be better suited not as a number 10 but more in a midfield 3 with Sibbs having the free-er role to push on. It couldn’t happen last year because when we finally got some midfield stability when Ebou arrived, Sibbs was needed at LWB and doing a decent job of it.

Good luck to Sibley ,it does say on Oxford forum its a long contract so i assume this is the main reason,in terms of career i would say its a sideways move at best but realistically a backward one.

Not going to lose to much sleep over the loss, however although i thought he was a good squad player i never thought he was anything special and neither did all the managers he played under at Derby,his best spell in fact is being shoehorned in to left back last season. 

9 hours ago, europia said:

Hope we didn’t try to re-sign him on the cheap after the way we have chucked money at CBT , Elder , Gayle etc .Oxford is a fine city and a new ground is planned but Sibbo like Bird is a local lad who has chosen to leave a Massive club as we all say . If he gets 10 goals next season and they stay up we could have egg on our faces.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Simmoram2024Ramsrontheup said:

His versatility was his downfall same with knight, not being able to establish a single position meant that he wasn’t able to really push on. 

That was down to being played all over the shop - I suppose he could have refused. 😄 Still as someone puts, he's a young attacking midfielder with promotion on his cv...

Edited by RoyMac5

Sad The Office GIF Trying to be brave, first Knighty then Max now Louie but seriously wish you all the best Louie , be proud of your efforts for your club , such a shame we couldn’t continue the journey together but now is the right time to make the break and get regular playing time in a position you feel you can excel 

There's now a vacancy for a footballer on my home screen. No candidates so far.

I hope we get at least one player who can deliver some sparkle next season because hard-working athletes don't necessarily ignite the passion in one's soul. 

I should have listened more closely when Louie told us he wanted to play in the Championship in midfield - he has his wish now, regrettably not at Derby. 

I wish him well.

Screenshot_20240704_084857_One UI Home.jpg

Fair play to him for sticking to his guns and wanting to play in midfield. Wasted at wing back and he never got a run of games in the centre of the pitch under Paul Warne. I feel really bad for him to be honest, I posted about it six months ago.

A dream start to his DCFC career, he looked a menace, running past players and scored that hat trick at The Den. COVID ruined the team's momentum completely. We were on course to mount a play off challenge and without our crowd, it killed the team's soul. The following season he picked up some injuries and there was no chance Sibley was being selected over Rooney's mate Ravel Morrison. The little niggling injuries that season didn't help either. Due to the lack of squad depth, Sibley has been shoe horned as a wing back over the past two seasons and never had more than 2 games on the trot in his favoured position, other players given numerous chances in attacking areas down the middle yet Sibley never received as many.

Clearly he didn't move for financial reasons, I'd be amazed if Oxford increased his salary. Good luck Louie, I think you'll be ace for Oxford 🐏

21 minutes ago, angieram said:

There's now a vacancy for a footballer on my home screen. No candidates so far.

I hope we get at least one player who can deliver some sparkle next season because hard-working athletes don't necessarily ignite the passion in one's soul. 

I should have listened more closely when Louie told us he wanted to play in the Championship in midfield - he has his wish now, regrettably not at Derby. 

I wish him well.

Screenshot_20240704_084857_One UI Home.jpg

So you are waiting for ebou to sign then ;)

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

Sad The Office GIF Trying to be brave, first Knighty then Max now Louie but seriously wish you all the best Louie , be proud of your efforts for your club , such a shame we couldn’t continue the journey together but now is the right time to make the break and get regular playing time in a position you feel you can excel 

Not looking forward to playing Oxford this year 🤦‍♂️