Sibley gone

WILD prediction but this time next year there will be a consensus that Osborn has been a bit of a disappointment because he's mainly been played at LWB and not posted much in terms of numbers / has had barely any effect and we'd have been better off had  we just been able.to.keep.hold of Sibley.

...not based on anything in particular hence it being WILD.

If he's got a good agent then I'd be thinking Wolves (who've tracked him in the past), or newly promoted Leicester or Southampton, or maybe dirty Leeds who were very keen. Or follow the route that's worked well for some English youngsters and go to the Bundesliga. He should definitely be looking up. And for any team that takes him on, with no transfer fee or compensation, it's pretty risk free. And they will know what he once looked clearly capable of becoming.

I remember Cocu drooling over his ability. When Paul Warne joined I wrote to him and said the way to get promotion was to build the team around Sibley. To Warne's credit he took the time to reply, but was rather non-committal. But I stand by my belief.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

If he's got a good agent then I'd be thinking Wolves (who've tracked him in the past), or newly promoted Leicester or Southampton, or maybe dirty Leeds who were very keen. Or follow the route that's worked well for some English youngsters and go to the Bundesliga. He should definitely be looking up. And for any team that takes him on, with no transfer fee or compensation, it's pretty risk free. And they will know what he once looked clearly capable of becoming.

I remember Cocu drooling over his ability. When Paul Warne joined I wrote to him and said the way to get promotion was to build the team around Sibley. To Warne's credit he took the time to reply, but was rather non-committal. But I stand by my belief.

I'm a Sibley fan too but you are vastly over-rating him.

The likelihood is that he'll be dropping to a L1 club to finally establish himself as a first team regular, I'd be very surprised if he remained in the championship never mind stepped up to the premier league or bundesliga!

9 minutes ago, SECornerRAM said:

Between Portsmouth and Oxford 

Oxford would be an interesting one if they played him in front of Brannigan and Vaulks, wouldn’t have minded that midfield trio at Derby. Good luck to you Sibbo always enjoyed watching you play, pity you didn’t quite reach the heights most of us expected at Derby, but your still young enough to push on!

12 hours ago, JfR said:

Wouldn't mind seeing him go abroad tbh, if only so I don't have to see him in another English team's kit. Maybe another Dutch manager could get what Cocu got out of him.

I think the Idea that Cocu got the most out of him is a bit of a myth. Those first few games in 2020 when he came in against Blackburn, scored a few goals and we went on a bit of a run, tend to mask the fact that by the end of the season, after a run of less impactful performances, he was dropped to the bench by Cocu. Then, when he returned for the start of the following season, his form wasn't great, he picked up an injury, missed 3 games and didn't look like the same player as the one that took Millwall apart and excited the fans. He only played 257 minutes under Cocu in that 2nd season before he was sacked. It's pretty thin evidence that Cocu is the coach that got the best out of him.

I certainly hope though that, wherever he goes next he finds that verve and dynamism that brought him to everyone's attention.

9 minutes ago, LucaB48 said:

So there is truth to him coming to us then 

It might depend if you can afford to pay him more than Birmingham or Plymouth, or whoever else is interested, but there aren't any reports of his preferences as far as I know.

2 hours ago, SECornerRAM said:

Between Portsmouth and Oxford 

Had just logged on to see if there was any links to us as I'd heard last night that we were in with a big chance of finalising a deal.

No shock to see Pompey also linked - we seem to be going after all the same players this summer.

Just now, CaptainOx said:

Had just logged on to see if there was any links to us as I'd heard last night that we were in with a big chance of finalising a deal.

No shock to see Pompey also linked - we seem to be going after all the same players this summer.

Wouldn't read too much into that, considering the three teams are quite different, they'll just link the three promoted teams together

He went from effortlessly scoring fabulous goals to hours of invisibility of worse. It’s hard to explain but no wonder he so divides opinion on here. The idea of him joining Rooney seems more than plausible 

He deserves a lot of respect for what he did at left back. 

Aways been in a bit of a quandary about Sibs. Understood he had alot of talent and the potential to play at a high level, just couldn't decide where that potential would be best utilised.

When he was shoehorned into the leftback;wingback position. He struggled but due to his natural abilities and assumably help from the coaching staff he was becoming an asset in that position.

I think he learnt to channel some of his feistiness that sometimes bubbled over, getting him into trouble with the ref. Into dealing with the more physical side of the game needed to play in that position.

For whatever reason Sibs has decided that it's best for his career to leave the club. I thank him for his service to the club and his hope and dreams become fulfilled elsewhere. It will be interesting to see what position he will play at his new club.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

I think the Idea that Cocu got the most out of him is a bit of a myth. Those first few games in 2020 when he came in against Blackburn, scored a few goals and we went on a bit of a run, tend to mask the fact that by the end of the season, after a run of less impactful performances, he was dropped to the bench by Cocu. Then, when he returned for the start of the following season, his form wasn't great, he picked up an injury, missed 3 games and didn't look like the same player as the one that took Millwall apart and excited the fans. He only played 257 minutes under Cocu in that 2nd season before he was sacked. It's pretty thin evidence that Cocu is the coach that got the best out of him.

I certainly hope though that, wherever he goes next he finds that verve and dynamism that brought him to everyone's attention.

That's an interesting theory... after starting the game against Blackburn (and scoring from 30 yards) he started every game except the last game of the season.

We then started the following season without Waghorn or Martin who had both moved on, as well as Lawrence being injured. Instead of having forwards to play off, he only had Marriott. After 2 starts and one half time sub appearance, he picked up a minor injury. He was starting to get more game time, and then Rooney took charge.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's an interesting theory... after starting the game against Blackburn (and scoring from 30 yards) he started every game except the last game of the season.

We then started the following season without Waghorn or Martin who had both moved on, as well as Lawrence being injured. Instead of having forwards to play off, he only had Marriott. After 2 starts and one half time sub appearance, he picked up a minor injury. He was starting to get more game time, and then Rooney took charge.

According to Transfermarkt stats, he only had 46 minutes on the pitch over 5 games post-injury before Cocu got sacked. My memory doesn't recall if that's accurate, but I do have some recollection that towards the end of Cocu's reign there were some discussion on here about Sibley's 'loss of form' since the end of the previous season?

Why did he choose to go? Well, there's rumours that we won't be getting compo for him which would point to the offer being less than what he'd been on which could be a reason, especially if there's more on the table elsewhere.

Might it be that he wants a run at AM/10 and PW was still planning on using him as a LB/LWB?

Maybe he was told he would be a squad player and got more encouraging noises elsewhere. No guarantees but, if you want to play as a #10 and another club will pay you as much/more and sees you as a #10 and the option is a squad player looking mainly at LB/LWB at Derby, again his choice is absolutely understandable.

Whatever happens, he's gone. Thanks, Sibs, I followed you in the 18s and onwards. You've given fans a lot of good moments. Good luck with your future and I hope you find what it is you're looking for.

Louie Sibley, once a Ram, always a Ram.

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Mate Wolves might have been linked when he burst onto the scene with that hattrick and looked a real prospect. But that was 4 years ago.

I am not sure what you have seen him to think he is good enough to play in the Prem. He will end up lower half champ or league one.