Kenzo Goudmijn - signed to 2028

Only a medical examination separates Kenzo Goudmijn from a transfer to Derby County. The 22-year-old midfielder from AZ will sign a multi-year contract with the Championship team.

Goudmijn played the second half of the previous season on a rental basis at Excelsior. It was his second period as a mercenary in Rotterdam. Goudmijn was relegated with Excelsior, but he himself had a great season. He also had the opportunity to remain active in the Eredivisie, as SC Heerenveen and Heracles Almelo showed serious interest. A breakthrough at AZ - where his father Kenneth is an assistant coach - did not happen.

Derby County plays in the second level of England, after being promoted last season as number two in League One (behind Portsmouth). It looks like another AZ player is moving to Derby. The Rams would like to acquire goalkeeper Matthew Ryan. The Australian goalie is now transfer-free, after he rejected several contract proposals from the Alkmaarder.

I've never seen the guy, so it's all second hand information from friends in the Netherlands, but he likes to receive the ball and run at his opponents. Very direct and will carry the ball upfield. They describe him almost like a midfield version of Wilson, not the best in terms of end product but very exciting and something we don't have anywhere else in the squad.

If we can get Ryan, too, then I'll be absolutely buzzing. He's a top keeper.

1 hour ago, FKANorwichExile said:

I've never seen the guy, so it's all second hand information from friends in the Netherlands, but he likes to receive the ball and run at his opponents. Very direct and will carry the ball upfield. They describe him almost like a midfield version of Wilson, not the best in terms of end product but very exciting and something we don't have anywhere else in the squad.

If we can get Ryan, too, then I'll be absolutely buzzing. He's a top keeper.

Being "exciting" counts for sweet FA if there's not much end product.

I'm not going to get too excited just yet - lets not forget his last two seasons were in the second division in Holland, not the top division. that's probably L1 equivalent.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Only a medical examination separates Kenzo Goudmijn from a transfer to Derby County. The 22-year-old midfielder from AZ will sign a multi-year contract with the Championship team.

Goudmijn played the second half of the previous season on a rental basis at Excelsior. It was his second period as a mercenary in Rotterdam. Goudmijn was relegated with Excelsior, but he himself had a great season. He also had the opportunity to remain active in the Eredivisie, as SC Heerenveen and Heracles Almelo showed serious interest. A breakthrough at AZ - where his father Kenneth is an assistant coach - did not happen.

Derby County plays in the second level of England, after being promoted last season as number two in League One (behind Portsmouth). It looks like another AZ player is moving to Derby. The Rams would like to acquire goalkeeper Matthew Ryan. The Australian goalie is now transfer-free, after he rejected several contract proposals from the Alkmaarder.

Rental? - I hope he hasn't over run his miles or got any dents/scratches.

Seriously I hope he fits the mould.

17 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I'm not going to get too excited just yet - lets not forget his last two seasons were in the second division in Holland, not the top division. that's probably L1 equivalent.

No, the last two seasons have been in Eredivisie. The 21/22 season was the last time he played second division.

3 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Ain’t his team the same one as Parrot was on loan at? We need one more striker. Parrot would fit the bill 

He was gash for Ipswich in League 1 in a side creating lots of chances.  We need a better option for me.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He was gash for Ipswich in League 1 in a side creating lots of chances.  We need a better option for me.

Yeah just had a little look he’s only 22 now and that was in 2021. So would only have been around 19. What ever you say about the quality not easy league for a 19 year old yo front. 23 caps for rep. Ireland and 5 goals. 

12 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He was a young lad then though in a tough league, so bit harsh just to rule someone out based on a loan spell when he was 19.

Still only 22 and off the back of his most successful loan. 17 goals in 32 games in the Eredivisie isnt bad at all.

Not a bad record for Ireland either.

Still really young and scope to improve. Would not be against this.

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

He was a young lad then though in a tough league, so bit harsh just to rule someone out based on a loan spell when he was 19.

Still only 22 and off the back of his most successful loan. 17 goals in 32 games in the Eredivisie isnt bad at all.

Not a bad record for Ireland either.

Still really young and scope to improve. Would not be against this.

If I recall Kane was pretty gash on his loans at Millwall and Fester. Only had moderate success at Orient .

The more I see and the more I read, the more this sounds like an overwhelmingly positive signing.

He looks like a blend of Bird, Hourihane and Knight in many ways - good passing, good technique, good vision, good set pieces and good dribbling and movement.

It sounds like he is having a similar career trajectory to Gustavo Hamer. If it works out in a similar way, we will have a very good player on our hands.

In that sense, I would imagine this deal is heavily structured - so perhaps we have to pay an additional fee upon promotion or there is a significant sell-on clause included in the deal.

AZ will have designs on him having a breakout season in the Championship and possibly attracting PL interest - that’s how it will be mutually beneficial.

£600,000 will be just the start, I’d imagine.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Yeah just had a little look he’s only 22 now and that was in 2021. So would only have been around 19. What ever you say about the quality not easy league for a 19 year old yo front. 23 caps for rep. Ireland and 5 goals. 

He looked very accomplished this season in Eredivisie - technically very good. I think he's a fairly well-rounded striker too. He doesn't just look to play on the shoulder and can play as a shadow striker and drift around the front three. 

He has a terrific goal record at academy level and he's finally put it together at first-team level for Excelsior. He would be a really good option, imagine there would've been many people who were not infused by Morgan Whittaker when he initially signed for Plymouth on loan. 3 goals in 58 games at Championship level & 5 in 20 at League One. Now, they would want £15-20m to see him go and could very well get it. 

If you look at the comments from team he's previously been at, the question of his ability has never been questioned. He has been questioned on his finishing, but equally he has a good record of goals at academy level. 15 goals in 12 games at U18 level, 5 in 12 at U21 level & 9 in 9 at European academy level. 

In terms of finding value in strikers, we could do a lot worse. 

Edited by Ambitious

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

No, the last two seasons have been in Eredivisie. The 21/22 season was the last time he played second division.

Apologies - you're right. Excelsior were in the top division for the last two years. OK - I'm a tad more excited despite their 4500 seater stadium 🤣

18 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Apologies - you're right. Excelsior were in the top division for the last two years. OK - I'm a tad more excited despite their 4500 seater stadium 🤣

I believe they're based in Rotterdam, that puts them in competition with Feyenoord and Sparta for support in the local area.