Sporting Intelligence Unit?

Have read more of the 'Football Hackers' book this morning. Others I'm sure will have already known this, but was interesting for me to learn that Derby were instrumental in the introduction of match analysis and stats, as during their initial development Prozone worked with the club in the 1990s in the Jim Smith/Steve McClaren era.

This article goes into detail...

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/2193722/2020/11/16/prozone-analytics-ramm-mylvaganam-analysis-premier-league/

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

As you are no doubt aware with all IT that is still the case, and was the reason I pointed out probably one of the worst cases in recent years, although by all means throw the NHS systems in there too. 👍

But yes the point was why have them if you don't know how to use them - spend the money on a striker! 😄😉 

They know how to use it but find it difficult to explain is my experience of it.

As you well know strikers aren't cheap either (the good ones!). If your team of analyst/ data scientist can turn a 5 goals a season into 8 goals by assisting with his movement, interaction with other players etc...that's a 60% improvement. Or assist with better  recruitment. It may cost you 500k in the data team and they could assist all the team. The price difference for a 5 or 8 goals a season striker may well be 500k alone and that's for 1 player. That is the kind of thinking that DC will be applying I would have thought. There is a lot of hype with AI, that's for sure but applied well it is one hell of a tool.

1 minute ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

They know how to use it but find it difficult to explain is my experience of it.

As you well know strikers aren't cheap either (the good ones!). If your team of analyst/ data scientist can turn a 5 goals a season into 8 goals by assisting with his movement, interaction with other players etc...that's a 60% improvement. Or assist with better  recruitment. It may cost you 500k in the data team and they could assist all the team. The price difference for a 5 or 8 goals a season striker may well be 500k alone and that's for 1 player. That is the kind of thinking that DC will be applying I would have thought. There is a lot of hype with AI, that's for sure but applied well it is one hell of a tool.

If. But I agree. The next hurdle is the implementation on the pitch. 😉

I'm really happy to see us being 'innovative', not really had that since shirt advertising, or Mac with Jimmy Smith.

2 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Not quite related but still...

It appears we’re trying to build a team of A-players that will go beyond any individual head coach/manager. Love it. Clowes is showing he’s prepared be a different type of owner now the first job of promotion is done.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

37 minutes ago, cannable said:

I don’t get the pineapple on pizza thing. How is it any worse than sweetcorn or anchovies?!

Anchovies are best in the bin, not on any plate. Sweetcorn is alright, but it’s a side show unlike pineapple where it’s the star attraction alongside ham. It’s right up there with those creating stats to say Oooh he could have scored from there.

3 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Not quite related but still...

Looks like he was with Leeds during the Bielsa era so that seems like a good sign for keeping players fit with a high intensity/work rate style of play. (Though whilst he was there players like Bamford can't seem to stay fit for them)

Interesting he is labelled as Medical Lead for Derby County as he is listed in this article below as being head of medical and performance at Leeds.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/price-vows-to-push-boundaries-at-leeds-united

We do already have Ros Burbeary as head of football development and performance.

Would be interesting to see an org chart and what is in place/being added at Derby.

7 hours ago, Day said:

xG is utter nonsense, it’s worse than pineapple on pizza.

xG is so last season.

So far today I've read about Expected Assists (xA), Expected Goals Chain (xGC), Pre-Expected Goals Chain (pre-xGC), Expected Goals Against (xGA), and After Shot Expected Goals.

If I can't make any games next season I'm not going to bother with RamsTV but will watch them live via the official DCFC Excel spreadsheet populated cell by cell as the match progresses. 

It's a really interesting idea, but seems completely at odds with a Warne management setup, especially if you think of signings being made in a "Moneyball" data/recruitment analyst style. 

Warne is all about personality, how they mesh with the squad, the character etc and that's one of the few metrics you can't judge on statistics alone. But it can highlight players who might usual go under the radar for Warne to then run his personality tests.

Plus, if we're signing players based on things like xG, pass completion, forward runs etc then half this forum will have a meltdown.

1 hour ago, FKANorwichExile said:

It's a really interesting idea, but seems completely at odds with a Warne management setup, especially if you think of signings being made in a "Moneyball" data/recruitment analyst style. 

Warne is all about personality, how they mesh with the squad, the character etc and that's one of the few metrics you can't judge on statistics alone. But it can highlight players who might usual go under the radar for Warne to then run his personality tests.

Plus, if we're signing players based on things like xG, pass completion, forward runs etc then half this forum will have a meltdown.

I don't think those approaches are mutually exclusive. You can consider both the tangibles and intangibles. The likes of Brighton will definitely do their research on the intangibles before making a decision on players, as the players with the best attitudes will be more likely to improve and increase their value.

I also think Warne personally isn't a huge stats man, but he leans on Richie Barker and the like to take an interest in that side of things, and he clearly values their opinions.

I think the important thing to get right will be for Warne to buy into and trust the new backroom staff and departments, so that they work well with Warne as well as any future managers if/when he eventually moves on. That will also require trust on their part to let Warne lead on dressing room culture.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

20 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

Have read more of the 'Football Hackers' book this morning. Others I'm sure will have already known this, but was interesting for me to learn that Derby were instrumental in the introduction of match analysis and stats, as during their initial development Prozone worked with the club in the 1990s in the Jim Smith/Steve McClaren era.

This article goes into detail...

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/2193722/2020/11/16/prozone-analytics-ramm-mylvaganam-analysis-premier-league/

The book about Derbys promotion under Smith and move to pride park really goes in depth on how we were instrumental in all of this.