Ben Osborn

Sean

4 minutes ago, NottsRam said:

If he's only ever impacted one game i doubt he would have played 350 times.

I’m no expert on Ben Osborn, but the idea that a player with over 350 career appearances in the championship and Premier League has nothing to offer a club does seem a little odd to me (not you saying this, others).

It’s a squad game, we need midfielders and experience having released both Smith and Hourihane, he covers a couple of positions, and seemingly is the type of player to do the leg work that allows others to go and play…maybe he’s the ideal foil for our new goalscoring midfielder? 🤔

Just don’t get the rush from certain posters to write players off before they’ve even joined, and that’s IF they even join anyway. If we sign Osborn he won’t be the only player we sign, he’d be one of many to ideally make us competitive next season. 

I'm very surprised that there would be anyone that wouldn't think this a good signing.

As others have pointed out - with Ben Osborn and potentially Ebou Adams in midfield we have a solid foundation for our attacking players and cover for our defence. 350games at champ/Pl level, covers more than one position comfortably..and on a  free!!

Coming up from L1 i could only see this as a shrewd signing 

Would love him to sign and the lad from WH.

Also think Thomspon is underrated - good player who I hope gets more game time this season even as a squad player 

Bens father recently passed away , I think it’s his funeral on Friday , so I’m sure anything football related is on the back burner , the last I was told was that Ben had spoken to Paul Warne and while Ben was impressed he wanted to see if any Premier league clubs were interested before he made his decision 

1 hour ago, alram said:

my point was hes played 350 games and nobody knows his best position. the only game hes ever impacted was when we played them and he scored that late winner for forest

i just dont think hes a very good player

Tom Huddlestone's played nearly 600 games and opinion is split as to what his best position was - didn’t make him a poor player. 

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

Bens father recently passed away , I think it’s his funeral on Friday , so I’m sure anything football related is on the back burner , the last I was told was that Ben had spoken to Paul Warne and while Ben was impressed he wanted to see if any Premier league clubs were interested before he made his decision 

Oh crap, I never realised this happened, I worked with his mum for a few years and would hear the name Damo loads (his dad).  Forget football, I am gutted for the family.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, if you had Adams and Osborn it would give the third midfielder licence to roam. 
He can cover lots of positions so would be a good squad player so I have no worries about him.

Adams is fine. Osborn is fine but I seem to remember him being more of a full back. We need 20 goals from midfield though so we need to find two more midfielders to push forward and get at least 15 goals and create them for others.  

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m no expert on Ben Osborn, but the idea that a player with over 350 career appearances in the championship and Premier League has nothing to offer a club does seem a little odd to me (not you saying this, others).

It’s a squad game, we need midfielders and experience having released both Smith and Hourihane, he covers a couple of positions, and seemingly is the type of player to do the leg work that allows others to go and play…maybe he’s the ideal foil for our new goalscoring midfielder? 🤔

Just don’t get the rush from certain posters to write players off before they’ve even joined, and that’s IF they even join anyway. If we sign Osborn he won’t be the only player we sign, he’d be one of many to ideally make us competitive next season. 

Need to respect other poster’s opinions on possible player signings CR 👍 There is a credible argument in questioning his lack of goals and assists. He has hardly set the world on fire with any of his clubs has he? Sheff Utd have decided he’s not required for them in the Championship. All about opinions 😊

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Adams is fine. Osborn is fine but I seem to remember him being more of a full back. We need 20 goals from midfield though so we need to find two more midfielders to push forward and get at least 15 goals and create them for others.  

Is he better than Sibbo at full back/wing back? Despite the 🤣, I am not so sure he is.

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Need to respect other poster’s opinions on possible player signings CR 👍 There is a credible argument in questioning his lack of goals and assists. He has hardly set the world on fire with any of his clubs has he? Sheff Utd have decided he’s not required for them in the Championship. All about opinions 😊

I didn’t think I was disrespectful, just said I don’t get it, which is my opinion. Suppose I did say it’s a “little odd.” 
My point is we don’t need every signing we make to have “set the world on fire”, the team and squad should be about more than the sum of its parts in my opinion. Korey Smith played a key role in the run in last season but didn’t get the glory of goals or assists as that’s not the role he was in the side to perform.
Osborn has consistently played games for his two most recent clubs at a level equal to or above where we’ve been recently. That type of experience could be beneficial to the squad as much as it could not.  

EDIT - Also, regarding his contract, it was reported Wilder wanted him to stay and we’re going to trigger an extension but the prospect of a takeover meant that didn’t happen. It’s seemingly not as transparent as “them deciding he’s not required”.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
More thoughts.

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I didn’t think I was disrespectful, just said I don’t get it, which is my opinion. Suppose I did say it’s a “little odd.” 
My point is we don’t need every signing we make to have “set the world on fire”, the team and squad should be about more than the sum of its parts in my opinion. Korey Smith played a key role in the run in last season but didn’t get the glory of goals or assists as that’s not the role he was in the side to perform.
Osborn has consistently played games for his two most recent clubs at a level equal to or above where we’ve been recently. That type of experience could be beneficial to the squad as much as it could not.  

Playing full back/wing back, would you say he would be a much better option than Sibbo?

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Playing full back/wing back, would you say he would be a much better option than Sibbo?

I’d rather have both of them as options in the squad, with both able to cover the wing back/central midfield area if and when required. 
Just to be clear I’m not particularly  fussed either way so long as we start the season with a stronger squad than we have currently, hence my point about not understanding why people are dismissive of players we’re linked to who we might not even sign anyway. IF he signs I want him to do well for Derby, if he doesn’t it’s ah well onto the next one then 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Tom Huddlestone's played nearly 600 games and opinion is split as to what his best position was - didn’t make him a poor player. 

of course huddlestone wasnt a poor player, he played the majority of his career in the top flight, osborns spent two seasons there in two seasons that were absolute disasters and he wasnt even a starter

46 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

its also not writing players off before they have signed which he claims 

i just dont think hes a very good player if we sign him i of course will judge everything by what he does in a derby shirt. it doesnt mean that i cant have reservations before hand

2 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Ah , that is sad news , puts the football stuff in perspective , R.I.P to Mr Osborn Sr 

2 minutes ago, alram said:

its also not writing players off before they have signed which he claims 

i just dont think hes a very good player if we sign him i of course will judge everything by what he does in a derby shirt. it doesnt mean that i cant have reservations before hand

I intentionally didn’t name any particular poster with my comment it was a general view I expressed an opinion on. Didn’t say you or others can’t have reservations, I just said I don’t get the idea of writing players off before they sign, didn’t say it’s not an opinion people can have, didn’t say people can’t have their opinion, just voiced my own opinion that it’s a stance I don’t share or understand. 

However if by sharing my own opinion I’ve somehow caused offence I’ll bow out and you and others can continue with your reservations 🍻