Transfer rumours

19 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Alfie May would have been one I'd have gone for, knows where the net is.

Sadly, he doesn't apparently know his way to Derby, though, does he?

Poundland Billy Sharp. He's found his level and is sticking there by the looks of things and that's fair enough. We've bigger irons in the fire IMO.

27 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Sorry mate, have to disagree here.

Warne said last season  (in the Q&A I believe) that signing someone like Jonson Clarke-Harris makes no sense. Chucking a decent fee in and the money over a 3 year deal, there is no sell on value at all so makes no business sense. 

Clarke Harris is 29. Alfie May is 31.

Spending just shy of £1 million on a player that has had 3 good seasons in League One as the best in his career. We would probably have to give him at least 3 years on id say 20k a week. Which would be just shy of £4 million on over 3 years. Would make no sense at all really.

Not to mention there is no guarantee of him being able to do it in the championship with much better defenders to deal with.

But my idea of signing him was based on him not costing a million nor paying 20k a week.

Of course on those numbers absolutely not.

But if we are wanting a player to score goals then he would have been a sound, low risk option, depending on fee and wages of course.

Also, Yates looks a good signing.

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod

On 14/06/2024 at 20:13, Round the Houses said:

So was at the Training Ground tonight and picked up 3 bits of information. 

1) Ben Osborn was shown around the training ground (nothing groundbreaking)

2) Kayden Jackson was also shown around the training ground.

3) Kion Etete was also there at the training ground… but it looks like he was using the facility with a personal trainer doing 1:1 rather than it being a transfer link!

Been hanging around the training ground recently @Round the Houses? Seen anyone else? First to call the Jackson thing I think 👏 

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Sorry mate, have to disagree here.

Warne said last season  (in the Q&A I believe) that signing someone like Jonson Clarke-Harris makes no sense. Chucking a decent fee in and the money over a 3 year deal, there is no sell on value at all so makes no business sense. 

Clarke Harris is 29. Alfie May is 31.

Spending just shy of £1 million on a player that has had 3 good seasons in League One as the best in his career. We would probably have to give him at least 3 years on id say 20k a week. Which would be just shy of £4 million on over 3 years. Would make no sense at all really.

Not to mention there is no guarantee of him being able to do it in the championship with much better defenders to deal with.

I'm not sure I would entirely agree with this.

No matter the fee or not, with the exception of players developed in the academy, no players have any value left at the end of the contract. So the fee and age is irrelevant. 

But sensible and sustainable investment (fees and salary) can bring long term rewards by building the squad capable of getting promotion which is the aim (or at least it should be) of any football club otherwise what's the point? If it was deemed that the fee and salary was not to be value for money i.e. not sustainable and would not make you competitive then fair enough.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Was it this article? 

What it says within the article is;

“Kayden Jackson is reportedly close to joining Derby after being released by Ipswich Town while Jerry Yates is on the verge of joining on loan from Swansea City.

That would fill their void in the forward position, although there is arguably someone better who Warne has just missed out on.

Following their promotion to the second tier, Derby were considering a move for ‘wonderful’ Charlton Athletic striker Alfie May.”

Seems to me it’s a misleading headline for a clickbait opinion piece with no viable link to May ever being mentioned this summer. 

Alfie May is an interesting one, he’s scored consistently at league one for a number of years now, wonder why no champ clubs have taken a punt on him 🤔 

No mate. This one

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1234910753?-260:828

15 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

Yep, it’s the same article, and the link to us being interested in May is tenuous at best, they’ve taken it from a Sunday Mirror article saying we “could” be interested in him. I’m happy to chalk that one down as clickbait.

I do still wonder why no champ club has taken a chance on May after the last few years. 

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

£1m for a player in the last year of his contract? Not a chance. 

I'd agree, however, if there's 3 sides vying for a player then the fee will likely be higher as they'll each outbid the other(s) until 2 of the 3 drop out of the "auction".

3 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Would apparently cost over a million, with Millwall (where he's already had a decent loan), Wrexham and Birmingham named as interested parties.

They paid 800k for him and he's had 2 average seasons since? And in his last year of his contract so that would tell me somewhere between 250k-500k????