Transfer rumours

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Struggle to completely agree with that.

If you're looking at players that came in, there was a necessity to play some of them and it was unexpected - like Ebiowei. That was all very short term though, not something that caused players year in advance to join our academy expecting first team football. But if you're looking for a "tradition", it wasn't really there throughout the years previous with Lampard, Rowett etc before the financial troubles hit. There was the odd one, of course, but nothing that is a sea change to anything right now.

Facts are just that there's no one quite ready just yet, other than maybe Brown who is slowly getting chances. Do I wish he had more in cup games before his loan last year? Yes, but I was pleasantly surprised to see him start this year. If you look 2 years down the line from now when the academy is back up and running properly and there's still very few chances, then it's an argument that becomes warranted.

You don't agree that we attracted some young players because (for whatever reason) they were being played or looked to have a better chance to be played?

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

You don't agree that we attracted some young players because (for whatever reason) they were being played?

I don't agree that we got players in because we had some big thing where they had a pathway to the first team, no. We had a category 1 academy that got players in, then we had a financial meltdown which got them played.

16 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

No the youth  won’t be ignored because DC is passionate about the academy , hence keeping it in Cat 1 category. Do you honestly think when he employed PW they didn’t have the conversation about use of the academy and how it will be used ? If he thought for a second that PW was anti youth he would not of employed him. 
The younger players will be introduced when they are ready. Brown is very close , Robinson too hence the loan. They are hoping that his loan will be as successful is Brown’s at Gateshead and prepare  Robinson for the step up. 
The reason we got less for Hughes was timing and 2 ACL’s. 
You are very anti Warne which is your right but you are letting that blinker your thinking . The club , DC , Warne and the coaching staff have long term plan which very much includes using academy players when ready. Re the transfer window , why not let it play out before having a hissy. I’m happy so far 2/3 extra ones could make it a very decent window .

You won't ever know how good any of these players are until they are played, it's that simple.

Even back in 1995 we threw Dean Sturridge straight into the side off his loan at Torquay... 20 league goals in 95/96 was it? 

Either way, the lack of names and activity w/ transfers is worrying and I believe this is why a director of football has been required for sometime.

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

I don't agree that we got players in because we had some big thing where they had a pathway to the first team, no. We had a category 1 academy that got players in, then we had a financial meltdown which got them played.

I think it's likely a mix of the two.  Pre-financial meltdown (well at least it being obvious). We were beginning to look like a club with a genuine pathway. From an outside view Buchanan, Bogle, Knight, Bird and Sibley all broke through into an established side competing for the playoffs in a relatively short space of time. Combined with our messaging around it I do think it help draw players that we may have not otherwise convinced.

25 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-rowett-derby-county-column-9503348

Yes, I'm sure some will call him the 🐍 - but I think this was an interesting read. A lot of points resonating with what posters have said here.

Its a really good read, I csme o  here to post the article too.

Well worth a read for everyone so they can get an understanding of how deals actually happen & the twist or stick decision on moving om from your main target

26 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-rowett-derby-county-column-9503348

Yes, I'm sure some will call him the 🐍 - but I think this was an interesting read. A lot of points resonating with what posters have said here.

That article should put to bed the idea that there's an issue with DCFC or PW or whatever. It's the way transfers work these days, as several of us have said. Gone are the days when you had your entire squad together when pre season started. Players and their agents hold the cards now, ahead of the selling club and way ahead of the buying/"borrowing" club.

FWIW I think PWs refusal to take players who don't fit the whole picture is the right one. His wanting players who are starting XI ready is the right one. He doesn't have a bottomless pit of money so he has to be as sure as is possible that any new player fits the role(s) he wants them for and is the right type of character for the club's philosophy.

3 minutes ago, Topram said:

So any rumours?

Rumoured for a while that we're after a striker, centre mid and a centre half. PW himself has said as much. Whether any of those positions will come to fruition is something requiring patience and understanding by fans as to how transfers "work" these days. Add in where we currently are financially and we most certainly are not going to spend several million on players. If the right players aren't there at a price the club is willing/able to pay then stick with what we have. 

Quite feasible that no incoming striker will mean the Daj Brown doesn't go out on loan. Reports indicate that 7 or 8 clubs want the lad. He's going nowhere until we have a new striker in. The striker(s) PW wants are very likely to be in the same position as Daj, their club is willing to sell or send out on loan but want his replacement in the door first. That is the reality of today's transfer window.

12 minutes ago, Papahet said:

You won't ever know how good any of these players are until they are played, it's that simple.

Even back in 1995 we threw Dean Sturridge straight into the side off his loan at Torquay... 20 league goals in 95/96 was it? 

Either way, the lack of names and activity w/ transfers is worrying and I believe this is why a director of football has been required for sometime.

Deano was 21/22 in his breakthrough season so hardly a youth player. 
Some of the current crop are very promising eg Cruz Allen but no way should we be throwing them in the first team now they are not physically ready and could ruin them. Obviously all develop at different rates and Allen could well be pushed through quicker. 
The academy staff will put them  forward  at the right time , Weston is highly thought of by Warne and his staff hence the early loan to Boston but he isn’t ready now. If DCFC chucked them in too early fans would be moaning as we would probably go straight back down and knock these lads confidence.
We have had no lack of transfer activity so far , some decent players in , not sure why anyone is bothered about “names” being out in the open . Surely better to keep your targets close and not alert competitors even if that is no fun for us fans 😅

31 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Its a really good read, I csme o  here to post the article too.

Well worth a read for everyone so they can get an understanding of how deals actually happen & the twist or stick decision on moving om from your main target

Everyone posting on here should be made to read this article first.

We're doing everything we can. We still need to get another midfielder in, which I feel like we're a long way down the line with. We still need to get another defender in and we need to get something else along the top line. We are competing with other clubs in this league for a very small amount of players.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-transfers-paul-warne-9503653?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1724401901

I’d imagine we’ve told Liam Cooper need a decision by Monday or Tuesday. With the deadline being Friday we will need to know if we should proceed with other targets with a few days left. Also wonder how much Cooper is willing to gamble if he says no to us does he end up scrambling around for a League one move then ? Or waiting for an injury to a champ team. Either way I’d imagine this is a move that’ll be done early next week if it’s going to be done unless he says no we miss out on all our other targets and then go back with our tail between our legs. 

2 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I’d imagine we’ve told Liam Cooper need a decision by Monday or Tuesday. With the deadline being Friday we will need to know if we should proceed with other targets with a few days left. Also wonder how much Cooper is willing to gamble if he says no to us does he end up scrambling around for a League one move then ? Or waiting for an injury to a champ team. Either way I’d imagine this is a move that’ll be done early next week if it’s going to be done unless he says no we miss out on all our other targets and then go back with our tail between our legs. 

Cooper (or any other free agent) doesn’t have to be signed before the deadline right? So he and the club can take time deciding if it’s a viable option and exploring alternatives.

The info I heard was that what he wants and what we’d pay is a little way apart, that was backed up by what @SECornerRAM posted. So Cooper can talk to other clubs and test his value on the market, but I don’t know that any club with the money to pay what he wants would need him, so he may have to reassess and come back to the table in time, like Nyambe last year. 

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Cooper (or any other free agent) doesn’t have to be signed before the deadline right? So he and the club can take time deciding if it’s a viable option and exploring alternatives.

The info I heard was that what he wants and what we’d pay is a little way apart, that was backed up by what @SECornerRAM posted. So Cooper can talk to other clubs and test his value on the market, but I don’t know that any club with the money to pay what he wants would need him, so he may have to reassess and come back to the table in time, like Nyambe last year. 

As long as they became a free agent before the deadline, they can be signed after the window closes.

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You're correct, but equally after the deadline it gives Cooper leverage if we haven't brought in another defender and commercially makes it more difficult. Players that hit free agency can go one way or another, rememeber Josh Onomah - I believe the club were interested in him and his demands were too high. He hasn't had a club in over a year. 

19 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yes your right about free agents not having to sign before the deadline but the point I was making is we won’t want to bank on him picking us after the windows shut so we will need to know before it shuts so we can then pursue other options should he decide to not sign. 

18 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

My main frustration is with us shopping in the same market as the rest of the division for a very small number of players (PL loans). These players may be of a reasonable standard and easy to judge how they'll settle in this league, but they'll have a £500k wage cost, and possibly another £500k loan fee on top.

For that £1m we could shop abroad, find a promising young forward from an unwanted league and face zero competition. You'd be able to find one for £200-500k somewhere, with the rest going to wages. Even if they fail to adapt to the Championship straight away, we can either sell them on or loan to L1 to buy them time.

Someone like Alex Tamm fits the bill. Very much an all round forward - shooting, creativity, dribbling, aerial presence, and pressing. Only 23, but out of contract in November so a small fee to get him in now (Transfermarkt value him at £380k). 84 goal involvements in 3 years, even if it is in Estonian football, would almost guarantee a buyer after a spell with us.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Someone like Alex Tamm fits the bill. Very much an all round forward - shooting, creativity, dribbling, aerial presence, and pressing. Only 23, but out of contract in November so a small fee to get him in now (Transfermarkt value him at £380k). 84 goal involvements in 3 years, even if it is in Estonian football, would almost guarantee a buyer after a spell with us.

2 goals in 7 internationals in the Estonian senior side. That is a good shout.