UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

2 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

In typically England fashion, we finally get a generation of talented players and we have a dearth of managerial options....🙄

I've probably said this before, but I don't get this idea that we suddenly have a generation of really talented players. We currently have a load of really good wingers, and a CM in Bellingham who could be a great. Kane is a top goalscorer but was crap this tournament.

England have a history of producing good footballers. The Euro 2016 was full of good, young players: Walker, Stones, Smalling, Rose, Dele Alli, Barkley, Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling, Kane, Sturridge, Rashford - all under 26. (plus Hart, Cahill, Milner, Rooney, Vardy). That was also a generation of talented players. They've had mixed fortunes since, but I wouldn't say our current crop is very different in standard or potential.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I would say Spain play the almost like how Warne wants us to play - except Spain can also do the possession based side of things much better

I stopped short of saying that, because I didn't want to set hares running, but I agree. I imagine Spain could play many different ways successfully, but this one is both effective and a crowd-pleaser.

Dare I say that this Euros has somewhat shown where european football is at the moment? No team aside Spain really showed any consistent level of quality. Not just England will be thinking they should have done better this tournament and I think in a couple of years we could really see how far the majority of European sides are behind the South Americans (I say this ofcourse after watching zero minutes of Copa America, just that a lot of the top sides in the Euros have under performed)

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Should've won based on what exactly? Because we are England? Is it not possible for other countries to have a good team?

Experience, quality, depth, attacking options, time and money spent attempting to win a tournament... 

Our overall performance in this tournament was based on VAR decisions or last mintue goals.

The only player who can come away with any credibility is Cole Palmer - Who barely featured! 

This is all on Southgate and the FA..

We DO have the players to play attacking football, just not a manager who can learn how to adapt it.

Unbelievable talent pool and yet coached to play like the defensive underdog.

Southgate is a league one or Championship manager at best, I don't see many fans wanting him at club football and can't say I blame them.

Edited by Papahet

2 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

The SNP leader at Westminster...enjoyed the result, I didn't expect anything else 👍keep the dislike going fella one day you might have something to cheer 🙄

image.png.23ce149a8eeca85775d54049f485da34.png

Small country syndrome. It's the first thing he's had to smile about for weeks.

2 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

The SNP leader at Westminster...enjoyed the result, I didn't expect anything else 👍keep the dislike going fella one day you might have something to cheer 🙄

image.png.23ce149a8eeca85775d54049f485da34.png

The photo is him taking the urine out of Rodri. 

A horrid group stage turned into a very enjoyable tournament. The Bellingham and Saka equalisers, the Watkins winner and Palmer's goal yesterday were all unbelievable moments that I'll never forget.

But, the first half against the Netherlands and patches of the Switzerland game aside, we looked really poor as a team. I don't think we'd have had a cat in hell's chance of making it to the final if we were on the other side of the draw. 

He's been by far the best England manager of my lifetime, and I'll always look back on this era fondly. Two finals and a semi-final easily clears anyone since Ramsey. But, given how marginal football is, you can't objectively assess a manager's performance based purely on outcomes. 

Thanks Gareth, but it's time to move on with your head held high.

3 hours ago, Papahet said:

Experience, quality, depth, attacking options, time and money spent attempting to win a tournament... 

Our overall performance in this tournament was based on VAR decisions or last mintue goals.

The only player who can come away with any credibility is Cole Palmer - Who barely featured! 

This is all on Southgate and the FA..

We DO have the players to play attacking football, just not a manager who can learn how to adapt it.

Unbelievable talent pool and yet coached to play like the defensive underdog.

Southgate is a league one or Championship manager at best, I don't see many fans wanting him at club football and can't say I blame them.

So Spain have none of the things that you listed?

Just for comparison, what other Championship or League One managers have been to 2 Euro finals and World Cup quarter final/semi final?

The answer is that international football is not comparable to league football, otherwise Erikkson and Capello would not have been so dismal at international level.

Edited by G STAR RAM

26 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So Spain have none of the things that you listed?

Just for comparison, what other Championship or League One managers have been to 2 Euro finals and World Cup quarter final/semi final?

The answer is that international football is not comparable to league football, otherwise Erikkson and Capello would not have been so dismal at international level.

Ok then, who'd you had swapped in that Spain squad prior to the tournament starting in our squad?

Rodri? We have a 100 million quid Declan Rice playing that role.

Possibly Neco Williams, however Saka is more than good enough and was one of the standouts IMO.

Foden, Bellingham,  Saka, Bowen, Palmer, Gordon,  Trent, Watkins, Eze....

Crazy amount of talent with pace and energy - Yet we sat back and had two holding midfielders under Southgate throughout the entire competition 👌

Edited by Papahet

3 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Ok then, who'd you had swapped in that Spain squad prior to the tournament starting in our squad?

Possibly Neco Williams, however Saka is mors than good enough and was one of the standouts.

Crazy amount of talent with pace and energy - Yet we had little to none under Southgate 

He's been s**** at Forest.  Probably wouldn't bother.

1 minute ago, Papahet said:

Possibly Neco Williams, however Saka is mors than good enough and was one of the standouts.

Williams plays on the left (Saka on the right) so I'd have him, though I didn't know much about him before the tournament so I'm cheating a bit.

I'd have taken Laporte, particularly in Maguire's absence. 

Smarter people than me would probably have picked Fabian Ruiz to knit the midfield together too.

8 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Possibly Neco Williams, however Saka is more than good enough and was one of the standouts IMO.

Crazy amount of talent with pace and energy - Yet we sat back and had two holding midfielders under Southgate throughout the entire competition 👌

I don't watch any international teams other than England, I assume many others don't either hence why they knew very little about how good Spain were.

Using transfer fees to try and prove we have better players is ridiculous, its well known that there is always a stupid premium paid for young English players for no reason. 

22 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Definitely Rodri, clearly an upgrade on Rice, the best player in the world in that position. Carvajal, possibly..tons of experience and good at both ends of the pitch.  A fully fit Pedri walks into any team in the world. Fabian Ruiz wouldn't let anyone down, could have solved that problem Alexander Arnold/Mainoo/Gallagher position for England. Williams and Yamal in hindsight, but before the tournament most people would have said Foden and Saka were stronger.  Gallagher/Alexander Arnold could be replaced by literally a dozen superior Spanish midfielders. Dani Olmo would have been a very useful squad member for England too.  Unai Simon is certainly no worse than Pickford, and Simon's penalty saving expertise would surely give him the edge in a knockout tournament such as the Euros.  

However having said all that, at the start of the tournament I would have said England's squad was certainly stronger than Spain's on paper.  It's seems pretty obvious then that the Spanish manager is getting far more out their collective talent than Southgate is managing to get out of England's very talented squad.  Beating Croatia, Italy, Germany, France and England...and looking very convincing doing so was a remarkable achievement.  

Edited by Highgate

26 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Again though, reeling off a list of good individuals doesn’t really matter if they can’t work together effectively as a team.

Considering we came into the tournament without a fit left back and having to rely on inexperienced centre backs, Cucurella, Laporte and Nacho would all have strong claims.

The midfield is the most obvious area where we are outmatched. Rodri, Olmo, Fabián, Pedri and Zubimendi would all instantly become starters for us because they understand how to look after the ball and to control a game. I’d personally take Olmo over either Bellingham or Foden. Such a clever and underrated player.

By contrast, the only players Spain might take a look at are Saka and Kane.

54 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Yeah, I know the story. He was making the crying gesture to Rodri ages ago because he was salty about getting beat at Hampden, but said last night all was forgiven. 

He is a football fan, and from the article:

He wrote: “Football rivalry at club and international level is normal and healthy.

“Without it the game is nothing. Lazy stereotypes, xenophobia and a dose of snobbery is not what rivalry, nor football, should be about.

“Let’s just stick to petty, ill informed, good natured and funny.”

You can't argue with that, can you?