UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

20 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Foden unplayable 1st half last night , Walker and Mainoo superb , will Gareth leave Kane out on Sunday , I personally think he won’t , he will go with the same starting 11 then use his subs again hopefully to our advantage 

I'd bet my life on him starting Kane. Plus, Watkins being fresh and the Dutch defence being tired was probably the biggest factor in the winner. Watkins (or Toney depending on the game state) will be a great weapon from the bench if needed. 

2 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Foden unplayable 1st half last night , Walker and Mainoo superb , will Gareth leave Kane out on Sunday , I personally think he won’t , he will go with the same starting 11 then use his subs again hopefully to our advantage 

Folk will laugh, but I honestly don't think there's anyone out there right now who has more technical ability than Foden. I fully expect to see a fired up Bellingham make his mark on Sunday, but to my way of thinking, Foden is the player most likely to take the game away from the Spanish.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'd bet my life on him starting Kane. Plus, Watkins being fresh and the Dutch defence being tired was probably the biggest factor in the winner. Watkins (or Toney depending on the game state) will be a great weapon from the bench if needed. 

What would you do differently bud? Before the Dutch game there seemed some obvious tweaks, but not so much now. Shaw for Trippier maybe?

I'd expect Palmer and Watkins to get a bit more time too and perhaps Bellingham might player from deeper, but I think if GS was going to try that, he'd have done it before now.

Likewise Anthony Gordon. I'm surprised he's not been given a chance, but if I'm honest, I've only seen him play a few times, so highly as I rate him, he does have a deal more to prove.

What are you hoping to see, or are you content with us approaching the game in a similar fashion to how we lined up against the Dutch?

9 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Folk will laugh, but I honestly don't think there's anyone out there right now who has more technical ability than Foden. I fully expect to see a fired up Bellingham make his mark on Sunday, but to my way of thinking, Foden is the player most likely to take the game away from the Spanish.

What would you do differently bud? Before the Dutch game there seemed some obvious tweaks, but not so much now. Shaw for Trippier maybe?

I'd expect Palmer and Watkins to get a bit more time too and perhaps Bellingham might player from deeper, but I think if GS was going to try that, he'd have done it before now.

Likewise Anthony Gordon. I'm surprised he's not been given a chance, but if I'm honest, I've only seen him play a few times, so highly as I rate him, he does have a deal more to prove.

What are you hoping to see, or are you content with us approaching the game in a similar fashion to how we lined up against the Dutch?

I hope Shaw comes in for Trippier. Other than that, I don’t think I’d change much after that performance.

I’m also content to sit back and shut up after Southgate’s masterclass in the last game. I still think he got a lot wrong in the weeks prior, but he got it spot on yesterday. Happy to just lose myself in it all!

Another thing you have to give kudos to Southgate for is how he’s kept the squad players engaged. 

How often do you see a fringe player like Watkins make such a jaw-dropping impact like that in the semi final of a major tournament? Southgate’s approach of “finishers” rather than “substitutes”, as cringey as it may appear on the surface, seems to have worked.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

20 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Think it will depend if they think Shaw is fit enough to do the 90 or if they play Trippier 1st half and Shaw 2nd half line the Dutch game. 

42 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Totally agree about Foden

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Another thing you have to give kudos to Southgate for is how he’s kept the squad players engaged. 

How often do you see a fringe player like Watkins make such a jaw-dropping impact like that in the semi final of a major tournament? Southgate’s approach of “finishers” rather than “substitutes”, as cringey as it may appear on the surface, seems to have worked.

Why would ‘finishers’ be cringey? A substitute is a change you’re forced to make, through injury, but it’s a legit approach to have a starting 11 and a finishing 11. Steve McClaren did it all the time, he’d switch the wingers out on 60 mins, regular as clockwork.

GS has often talked out chances opening uk towards the end of games when you’ve worn your opponents down. As much as an early goal would settle the nerves, I think it’s part of his game plan to play a certain way til the last 15 mins and then throw the kitchen sink at them. 

Especially useful in tournament football, because if your finishers can grab a goal in the last 10 minutes (like yesterday), then it’s game over. No time for the opposition to come back. If not, then we’ve got half an hour more with far fresher players than if we’d chucked them on on 60 mins. 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Why would ‘finishers’ be cringey? A substitute is a change you’re forced to make, through injury, but it’s a legit approach to have a starting 11 and a finishing 11. Steve McClaren did it all the time, he’d switch the wingers out on 60 mins, regular as clockwork.

GS has often talked out chances opening uk towards the end of games when you’ve worn your opponents down. As much as an early goal would settle the nerves, I think it’s part of his game plan to play a certain way til the last 15 mins and then throw the kitchen sink at them. 

Especially useful in tournament football, because if your finishers can grab a goal in the last 10 minutes (like yesterday), then it’s game over. No time for the opposition to come back. If not, then we’ve got half an hour more with far fresher players than if we’d chucked them on on 60 mins. 

Because they're still substitutes and some would call it a needless word change. Or, in other words:

image.thumb.png.7b4cbbe582f1bfc2a7fe15a3bf457603.png

1 minute ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Just to clear up the VAR penalty call. The unwritten rule is if it goes in our favour then there’s no problem obviously, if it goes against us then there’s a whole load of conspiracies against us.

Definitely went in your favour so it must be a pen.

Otherwise in other circumstances, it was never a pen, not in a million years, never.

hey ho, who cares now anyway

8 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Just to clear up the VAR penalty call. The unwritten rule is if it goes in our favour then there’s no problem obviously, if it goes against us then there’s a whole load of conspiracies against us.

We’ve had enough decisions go against us in recent decades, possibly karma making us pay for a Russian linesman. But I think we’ve definitely paid that back with interest with the hand of god, lampards goal over the line, sol Campbell’s disallowed goal, beckhams sending off, Rooney sending off. I’ll take this decision in our favour with a big smile on my face. 

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Not laughing at all. Foden is potentially our most potent player. I’d say Bellingham is more gifted technically but in the right set up (City), Foden frequently creates fabulous chances with touches of sublime genius. And takes them too.

Unfortunately Kane is not a good partner for him, he needs a quicksilver forward alongside him. That’s why it was so sad to see them both come off together last night - Kane too late and Foden too soon

Bizarre to think that the great Pep Guadiola was playing the whirling dervish Grealish ahead of Foden two seasons ago 

Edited by kevinhectoring

6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Not laughing at all. Foden is potentially our most potent player. I’d say Bellingham is more gifted technically but in the right set up (City), Foden frequently creates fabulous chances with touches of sublime genius. And takes them too.

Unfortunately Kane is not a good partner for him, he needs a quicksilver forward alongside him. That’s why it was so sad to see them both come off together last night - Kane too late and Foden too soon

Bizarre to think that the great Pep Guadiola was playing the whirling dervish Grealish ahead of Foden two seasons ago 

I'd hardly say Haaland is a quicksilver forward? 

14 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Agreed. The chances of Southgate doing anything radical with the starting line-up seem slim to none, given his propensity to favour safety and stability over cavalier attacking football

And especially against Spain. This is really where his tactical ability will really be exposed. He'll have watched every game that Spain have played in the tournament and he has to make the right calls. We have the squad to beat them, but do we have the footballing intelligence?

9 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

We’ve had enough decisions go against us in recent decades, possibly karma making us pay for a Russian linesman. But I think we’ve definitely paid that back with interest with the hand of god, lampards goal over the line, sol Campbell’s disallowed goal, beckhams sending off, Rooney sending off. I’ll take this decision in our favour with a big smile on my face. 

Well fcuk me talk about plagiarism...😁