UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

Not long to go until Scotland opening the tournament with defeat against Germany, leave the bus running for those lot.

With France the obvious favourites, how far are we expecting England to go this summer?

3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Who would you choose as your backup for Kane? Ivan Toney or Ollie Watkins?

I'd just play Watkins.  Better all round player.  Kane reminds me of Van Nistlerooy.  He'll get goals but his all round play is dire and you need to facilitate him with the rest of your selection.

It's going to be an interesting tournament which could spring a surprise winner in my book. Our group is actually quite tough Serbia, Denmark, Slovenia all could be knockout stage teams. 26 man squads so you have the opportunity to take both Watkins and Toney just in case Kane gets injured but Left back is a huge issue at the moment with Shaw and Chilwell both struggling for fitness so Rico Lewis is probably a call up. 

You can pick your own squads on transfermarkt here https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/userkader/index/userkader/EM24

image.png.e37fdd26421d1840f829bfcac6406031.png

4 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

It's going to be an interesting tournament which could spring a surprise winner in my book. Our group is actually quite tough Serbia, Denmark, Slovenia all could be knockout stage teams. 26 man squads so you have the opportunity to take both Watkins and Toney just in case Kane gets injured but Left back is a huge issue at the moment with Shaw and Chilwell both struggling for fitness so Rico Lewis is probably a call up. 

You can pick your own squads on transfermarkt here https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/userkader/index/userkader/EM24

image.png.e37fdd26421d1840f829bfcac6406031.png

I think given the array of attacking players we have and the weakness at the heart of the defence, Dan Burn is worth a place at LB where he can cover, as he does at Newcastle.

I’d pick Eze over Rashford.

Our back five is what stops me predicting a tournament win.

We’ll be great in possession, suspect without.

Hence a defensive LB over an overlapping one.

Controversial, but should Longstaff be in over Henderson?

39 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'd just play Watkins.  Better all round player.  Kane reminds me of Van Nistlerooy.  He'll get goals but his all round play is dire and you need to facilitate him with the rest of your selection.

Terrible, terrible take. He's not far off being the perfect all-round centre forward.

One of the best assisting strikers we've seen in the Prem and national team too.

7 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think given the array of attacking players we have and the weakness at the heart of the defence, Dan Burn is worth a place at LB where he can cover, as he does at Newcastle.

I’d pick Eze over Rashford.

Our back five is what stops me predicting a tournament win.

We’ll be great in possession, suspect without.

Hence a defensive LB over an overlapping one.

Controversial, but should Longstaff be in over Henderson?

We won't play a back 5. We haven't done that since the 2018 world cup. Also I don't think it's worth the risk of taking uncapped players like Burn or Longstaff who either have never even been in the England youth set ups either. It's the experience of Youth international football which is crucial for me in taking Rico Lewis. Eze could easily be selected and probably will for 30 man squad tomorrow I just think Rashford's experience will just pip him.

27 minutes ago, Day said:

IMG_0001.jpeg

Maguire will be there, we all know that. Mount has done nothing for a couple of years now  

I presume there will be some friendlies before, so I’d be seriously looking at Eze, Wharton and Mainoo. 

16 minutes ago, Srg said:

Maguire will be there, we all know that. Mount has done nothing for a couple of years now  

I presume there will be some friendlies before, so I’d be seriously looking at Eze, Wharton and Mainoo. 

Don’t disagree with any of that. 

Maguire has Southgate nudes.

Mount is just there for his time at Derby.

1 hour ago, eddielewis said:

We won't play a back 5. We haven't done that since the 2018 world cup. Also I don't think it's worth the risk of taking uncapped players like Burn or Longstaff who either have never even been in the England youth set ups either. It's the experience of Youth international football which is crucial for me in taking Rico Lewis. Eze could easily be selected and probably will for 30 man squad tomorrow I just think Rashford's experience will just pip him.

I’m including Pickford who I don’t think is international class.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m including Pickford who I don’t think is international class.

I think the criticism towards Pickford is a bit unwarrented because barring his wayward pass against Belgium in recent friendly he's hasn't really put a foot wrong for England. For Everton he's a tad more suspect but overall we have pretty good set of keepers. France has Bryce Samba as back up could even start for them. Neuer for Germany has not been at his best since coming back from his broken leg and could argue he's in his twilight. Spain are in limbo with their keepers. Donnarumma is great but he will not have an experienced back line in front of him.

Edited by eddielewis

France will be strong. Germany also have a major chance being at home and given their vast improvement since Nagelsmann took charge. Outside bets are Portugal and Belgium.

But England are the team to beat and genuinely believe this is the tournament we get over the line and Southgate can start strutting like prime Conor McGregor!!

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Is that a typo and you put Kane by accident and really meant someone else?

Kane is arguably the best, most complete CF in the world right now, if he’s not getting the ball he drops into midfield and dictates play himself. Just spend 5 minutes watching him.

England seem to be marginal favourites over France with most bookies.  Those two certainly seem to have the best squads in the tournament.  A look at who France have left out of the squad is scary, but I really think they should have found a place for Olise. 

Personally I think Germany are a good bet with home advantage, Wirtz and Musiala could shine.  That's where my money is going.  Spain and Portugal can't be ruled out either.

Would love to see Scotland get past the group stage and have a good tournament. 

We were very unlucky to lose to France at the World Cup and dominated the game for 2/3rds of it. Given that we should be in the top 3 with France and Germany as equal favourites.