Early Realistic Aspirations for 24/25

3 hours ago, Donnyram said:

Apart from the reference to Collins and Hourihane I would echo all of this. I tend to agree with @RoyMac5, Collins & Hourihane won’t make or break our season - probably not starters but good players to have around (albeit I suspect both maybe released).  

The biggest factor for me is to have a feel good factor around Pride Park to keep fans with the players and management team.  Opinion very much split last season - flirting with the bottom 6 won’t help this so minimum mid table is needed with a style of play that fits a progressive Championship club.

For me, you’d be looking to move on from Hourihane if we were still in League One, let alone the Championship.

Surprised to see Collo is getting a contract for next season but I do think he has value as a bench player and is clearly a good egg. It’s nice to have a bit of continuity for Warne and his culture so I wouldn’t call it a mistake.

Agreed, I think the realistic benchmark for a great season is top half specifically with that feel good factor. Cardiff finished 12th this year, they were 9 points off the bottom three and 11 points off the playoffs - so with a variance of a couple points, bang on mid table but in a position where you only need to improve by 3/4 wins to be in the mix.

I’d be delighted with that sort of season where the club can then go into next summer with less areas to recruit in and key players to start building a top six side around.

Yeah I think midtable should be the aim, like others mentioned is often not much difference points wise between say 9th and 16th!

not being in a relegation battle would be nice!

First time posting since around October,have been following everything on here though even when I was in Vietnam working and waking up to the mid week game scores and highlights in the morning .

I think I would be happy with top half and would set a points target of getting above 60 points that will mean we comfortably stay up and then challenge to go up the following season with good recruitment. Just staying up is abit negative imo we have a good defence and some players who will improve and I expect the recruitement to be quite good just have that feeling that alot of champ quality players will come in. Wouldnt be happy with 20th say and getting battered at home quite regularly, struggling for goals and lacking any quality going forward. We need to do abit more than survive imo for a decent season.

A very good season would be high 60s or low 70s for points and to be in and around top 6 wont do an Ipswichof course  but with some quality attackers and a new midfield including Adams we could be closer to the Top 6 than bottom 3 around 10th.

Definitely dont want to see us lining up with Collins or Washington upfront 1sf game of the season, Collins will be a decent sub option but we will need someone with either more mobility or better touch and basics like Martin in the past.

We’ve got to be ambitious 

every Derby team that ever got promoted was in the past. 
it’s a good place to be a positive mind set.

With an owner that is ambitious and wants success because he’s a fan, and because he’s intimated that there is a Championship investor lined up, I think we will surprise a few.

it all depends on the quality of the signings and how they integrate and settle-in to the squad/area/expectations

im betting on Derby strengthening with top end Championship additions. 

I think we’ll do very well indeed, without knowing who these additions will be but since I’m expecting some high quality, I’m going for a top six finish. We’re on an upward curve, the crap is firmly pushed behind us. COYR 😃

On 17/05/2024 at 13:20, ram59 said:

What are our early aspirations for next season, prior to any signings? 

Personally, I would be happy to consolidate our position in the Championship without spending too much money. If we could steer clear of the relegation dog fight and flirt with the top half, I would be happy. 

This would give us a platform to build upon and aim for the play offs the following season, all the while, steadily improving the quality of our team.

Win the league 👍

The bookies’ odds seem to reflect that we will finish midtable - along with Portsmouth. 

Bristol City, Derby, Millwall, Portsmouth, QPR & Swansea all priced at 33/1 on B365.

Blackburn, Preston, Cardiff & Wednesday all priced at 40/1. 

Plymouth (66/1) and Oxford (100/1) cut away from the rest. 

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The bookies’ odds seem to reflect that we will finish midtable - along with Portsmouth. 

Bristol City, Derby, Millwall, Portsmouth, QPR & Swansea all priced at 33/1 on B365.

Blackburn, Preston, Cardiff & Wednesday all priced at 40/1. 

Plymouth (66/1) and Oxford (100/1) cut away from the rest. 

Seems pretty fair. 

Think this is the second one of these threads and in the first one I said somewhere between 12-17th, and I stick by that. 

Ipswich had a ready made team, built over two seasons without restrictions on wages or fees, that they were able to tweak successfully and managed to exceed everyone's expectations, including their own and the bookies.

We aren't in that position, having to move on from most of the players that were hurriedly signed after Administration. So anyone with an expectation of challenging for the playoffs or better this coming season is setting themselves up for a season of disappointment or, more likely in some cases, laying the ground to jump straight back on the Warne Out bandwagon at the earliest possible opportunity. 

You have to make assumptions on recruitment to be able to set expectations in reality.

In worst assumption no doubt a relegation battle, but it is not unreasonable to expect an outside playoff interest if things go really well in recruitment. Look at when the tree humpers got promoted, they went from relegation battlers to playoff winners, to a large extent on the back off a few top quality loans and a decent manager who got the best of what he had.

20 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Ipswich had a ready made team, built over two seasons without restrictions on wages or fees, that they were able to tweak successfully and managed to exceed everyone's expectations, including their own and the bookies.

We aren't in that position, having to move on from most of the players that were hurriedly signed after Administration. So anyone with an expectation of challenging for the playoffs or better this coming season is setting themselves up for a season of disappointment or, more likely in some cases, laying the ground to jump straight back on the Warne Out bandwagon at the earliest possible opportunity. 

Another strawman argument.

7 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

It would be great to sign Adams and even better if he wouldn't be signing of the season.

I hope for a playoff push with more exciting football and as a bonus, more financial stability.

I genuinely hope that is a hope and not an expectation. 

Hope to be fighting for a top half finish 

Happy with mid table and to see us scoring plenty of goals at home

Unhappy if we are flirting with relegation 

5 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

How could any of the answers in this thread be more than hope? We are missing around 7-8 first-team players at the moment and I haven't got a clue who is available, never mind we are being able to sign.

Because some (and I’m not saying you’re necessarily one them) will be getting angsty if we’re not flirting with the play offs at Christmas, and to me, that’s an unfair expectation to have. 

4 hours ago, CrapSince99 said:

My ambition is to finish comfortably in mid table and see some fresh academy players get significant minutes in league games. Sign players with high potential and sell on value. Would love a foreign import as well. 

Agree with this. Be happy to stay up and see significantly more use of the academy than this season

6 hours ago, sage said:

Another strawman argument.

Call it whatever you like, but I still say expectations of playoffs or higher at this point in time are unrealistic.