Yakka Banovic

Bob The Badger

For those of you who are old enough to remember him, he's posted on the Ram Page Facebook page saying he our keeper when King Kev played his last game.

I remembered him as a pretty good goalie and he won a save of the season award. I *thought* he'd won PotY, but it seems I was wrong.

I cannot find the save, but I did find this article from an Australian newspaper. Who remembers seeing him play. @Eatonram?

yakka.jpg

51 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

For those of you who are old enough to remember him, he's posted on the Ram Page Facebook page saying he our keeper when King Kev played his last game.

I remembered him as a pretty good goalie and he won a save of the season award. I *thought* he'd won PotY, but it seems I was wrong.

I cannot find the save, but I did find this article from an Australian newspaper. Who remembers seeing him play. @Eatonram?

yakka.jpg

Goalkeepers Roger Jones 1980/81 and Steve Cherry 1982/83 won the PotY either side of Steve Buckley 1981/82.

Although Banovic was signed in 1980 he didn’t play his first game until December 30 1981.

His only games against Leicester were, February 6th 1982 a 2-1 defeat and October 23rd 1982 a 0-4 defeat and his last game.

He left in 1984.

4 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Goalkeepers Roger Jones 1980/81 and Steve Cherry 1982/83 won the PotY either side of Steve Buckley 1981/82.

Although Banovic was signed in 1980 he didn’t play his first game until December 30 1981.

His only games against Leicester were, February 6th 1982 a 2-1 defeat and October 23rd 1982 a 0-4 defeat and his last game.

He left in 1984.

I’m pretty certain with my age addled mind that the save of the season was v Liverpool and a shot from Kenny Dalglish……. But I could be wrong 😅

8 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I’m pretty certain with my age addled mind that the save of the season was v Liverpool and a shot from Kenny Dalglish……. But I could be wrong 😅

That’s why I always check Derby County The complete Record,  I don’t trust my memory anymore 😂

According to the bible he only played in division two and didn’t play against Liverpool.

The article states it was against Leicester.

33 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

My fading memory recalls a great shot stopper but a bit weak on crosses. I could be completely wrong. Goalkeepers generally got POTY in those days because they were so busy and the rest of the team, except the magnificent Steve Buckley (obviously), was complete dross! 

I was about to give you a bit of a challenge that you forgot Dave Langan but he left the season before Banovic arrived.

2 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I can remember a brilliant Dave McKeller save against Liverpool at the BBG that was nominated for save of the season. Can't remember who took the shot for Liverpool though.

59 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

I can remember a brilliant Dave McKeller save against Liverpool at the BBG that was nominated for save of the season. Can't remember who took the shot for Liverpool though.

That’s probably the one , knew the oldtimers has kicked in 😂

3 hours ago, Foreveram said:

That’s why I always check Derby County The complete Record,  I don’t trust my memory anymore 😂

According to the bible he only played in division two and didn’t play against Liverpool.

The article states it was against Leicester.

@Ewetube has confirmed my oldtimers. That Liverpool save was by Dave McKellar. 

1 hour ago, Ewetube said:

Best save i've ever seen was Lee Camp v Wigan in the FA cup 3rd round.  Point blank header to the bottom corner, perfectly placed from about 3 yards.  How he got down to push it up and out from the other side of the goal  i'll never know.   Pity only 15,000 saw it.  Would be less nowadays.

9 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Looking at some of the names in this article, who remembers the Aussie Pools at this time of year?

My patents used to collect pools coupons from Darley Abbey back in the day when I was a kid.

The pools round got smaller in the summer, when the coupon was full of Aussie games, but we still did a coupon every week.

Do you remember the Spot the Ball coupon?

I remember him in goal at Millmoor when we lost in a league 2 game in 1982.

We took the lead through Andy Hill but Ronnie Moore scored and he came up to us and put 2 fingers up very close to the away fans.

It does make me laugh thinking back, cannot believe it was over 40 years ago.

The main thing I remember about the game is the thug Gerry Gow breaking Paul Emson's leg.