How much do you think we have to spend on actual transfer fees?

5 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

There’s probably a big difference between spending money and spending money wisely, we need to make every penny count👍👍👍

I'd say there's DEFINITELY a difference between just spending money and spending money wisely but any such approach still comes with enormous risks if you're trying to compete financially with clubs receiving parachute payments. Plus, it's easy for us to say spend up to our overdraft limit when it's not our name of any company guarantees that may be in place. 

2 hours ago, Donny Ram said:

Unless there is additional external investment I can’t see the club going down the same route as under the MM ownership. You would hope there is some headroom given revenue should be circa £27-£30m next season and we know the wage bill was £8.8m in 2023 with an average of just under £4k per week but that will of increased this last season. You would expect the average salary to almost double in the Championship to circa £8k to £10k per week and with a larger squad, other club running costs it isn’t going to leave much for transfers if we continue to run sustainably.

Best guess would be about £5m at best.

Lets save the £900k for a keeper and keep League Ones best keeper on our books, he wasn’t on crazy money £5k week, so give him a chance to prove himself in the Championship.

The wage bill in 22/23 was £17.2m - not £8.8m. I think the club were being coy in how it was reported and misrepresented some wages from first team spending as ‘academy’. 

Sunderland ran a bigger operation on a smaller wage budget than we did (for example). Unless Pearce is on absolute mind and the Groundstaff are the best paid in the world - I’m not buying the first team wage budget published via local news outlets. If it is then we seriously need to look at where and how we are spending money.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I'd say there's DEFINITELY a difference between just spending money and spending money wisely but any such approach still comes with enormous risks if you're trying to compete financially with clubs receiving parachute payments. Plus, it's easy for us to say spend up to our overdraft limit when it's not our name of any company guarantees that may be in place. 

Under Mel we wasted a lot of money and we cant afford to do that again, we need value for money with each and everyone of our signing. Other clubs do it but I expect it takes time, under Mel he had the money and wanted to get into the Premiership ASAP, this time our budget is "limited" but so we need to use time and hard work to ensure we sign the best players to form our team.

Under Mel I think that we signed players without any regard to how they fitted into our team or our style of play!!!!!!  

Posted (edited)

The extra revenue will just cover our existing losses. Pre COVID I believe we hit around £30 million turnover, and as a club we are set up to operate at that level of income now. Maybe some more SKY TV money next season.

So I'd expect a modest amount to be spent on fees, maybe enough to buy Adams, and don't forget the purchase of CBT is actually a summer signing also. Those two together we are looking towards £750k

So, hopefully Adams, and the already signed CBT, I suspect the rest will be signing up free agents on 3 year contracts, partially funded by releases. This and the remaining wages budget, and we will be hitting break even. Clowes Developments will cover any modest losses, but he will expect the club to generally run within forecast cash flows. Sustainability....

The extra ticket sales last season, particularly the last half a dozen home games would have been very welcome, and may well have covered the CBT fee actually, but its just reducing the loss.

Don't anybody think we have a war chest to spend. We don't. Next season is a consolidation season, so we can reestablish ourselves. The rebuild continues.

Edited by Simmo’s left foot

3 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

The extra revenue will just cover our existing losses. Pre COVID I believe we hit around £30 million turnover, and as a club we are set up to operate at that level of income now. Maybe a some more SKY TV money next season.

So I'd expect a modest amount to be spent on fees, maybe enough to buy Adams, and don't forget the purchase of CBT is actually a summer signing also. Those two together we are looking towards £750k

So, hopefully Adams, and the already signed CBT, I suspect the rest will be signing up free agents on 3 year contracts, partially funded by releases. This and the remaining wages budget, and we will be hitting break even. Clowes Developments will cover any modest losses, but he will expect the club to generally run within forecast cash flows. Sustainability....

The extra ticket sales last season, particularly the last half a dozen home games would have been very welcome, and may well have covered the CBT fee actually, but its just reducing the loss.

Don't anybody think we have a war chest to spend. We don't.

My understanding is that we paid Charlton a £300K loan fee for him up to the end of the season and he signed a permanent deal keeping him here until the end of the 26/27 season.

10 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Under Mel we wasted a lot of money and we cant afford to do that again, we need value for money with each and everyone of our signing. Other clubs do it but I expect it takes time, under Mel he had the money and wanted to get into the Premiership ASAP, this time our budget is "limited" but so we need to use time and hard work to ensure we sign the best players to form our team.

Under Mel I think that we signed players without any regard to how they fitted into our team or our style of play!!!!!!  

Not arguing with any of that but it still doesn’t mean we can or should spend up to “our overdraft limit” not that I expect the limit to be particularly high for a club reborn after administration.

28 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Not arguing with any of that but it still doesn’t mean we can or should spend up to “our overdraft limit” not that I expect the limit to be particularly high for a club reborn after administration.

I agree with you, we should only spend within our budget and on what is necessary. 

Think I read in the John Percy article that the transfer strategy will be to sign premier league loans. I’d assume this means we’d be offering contracts to the majority of players out of contact this summer, and then maybe signing 3-4 frees or low fee players, to make up the numbers 

1 hour ago, secretsquirrel said:

The agents fees have to be factored in-even for free transfers they can be cosiderable.

It's a mystery to me as to why clubs pay a player's agent. The agent works for the player. Surely, the player should pay the agent... unless the agent has been asked by the club to bring player X into the club...

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

It's more a question of whether spending nigh-on £1m on a goalkeeper is the best use of a limited transfer budget when there appears to be some decent out of contract alternatives available and what we don't have are strikers and midfielders?

But we don’t know how limited it is. 

If we’ve only got £2m in the pot I’m inclined to agree. If we’ve got £4m then I don’t see an issue. There will be decent midfielders and strikers on a free just to play devils advocate.

12 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

But we don’t know how limited it is. 

If we’ve only got £2m in the pot I’m inclined to agree. If we’ve got £4m then I don’t see an issue. There will be decent midfielders and strikers on a free just to play devils advocate.

I think even if it's £5m, we might come to regret spending £1m of it on a goal-keeper rather than on the other positions we need to fill, but that's just my personal preference coming out.

3 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

The extra revenue will just cover our existing losses. Pre COVID I believe we hit around £30 million turnover, and as a club we are set up to operate at that level of income now. Maybe some more SKY TV money next season.

Don't anybody think we have a war chest to spend. We don't. Next season is a consolidation season, so we can reestablish ourselves. The rebuild continues.

The problem with the free agent market is that almost every team in the Championship is in the same market as transfer fees have curtailed. 

The wages being paid out are going to substantial and if you’re hitting free agency this summer and have relative experience within the Championship, like a Alan Brown or Paddy McNair then you’re going to be extremely well compensated for your services because you’ll have 14/15 clubs all in the same boat vying for your services. It’s going to be a painfully competitive, compacted market and we need to be much smarter to get ahead. 

4 hours ago, Fraser_23 said:

Think I read in the John Percy article that the transfer strategy will be to sign premier league loans. I’d assume this means we’d be offering contracts to the majority of players out of contact this summer, and then maybe signing 3-4 frees or low fee players, to make up the numbers 

Florists lost £40 million , the season they got promoted . Most of the money went on loans to go with their home -grown players . Showing just how expensive quality loans can be . Mount , Wilson and Timori must have cost us a fortune . The pull of the manager must also count for a lot .