Worst Refereeing decision for and against Derby.

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

How anyone ( @sage for now) can say that wasn't a penalty needs to rethink. Nailed on penalty for me. It was before the direct red for a professional foul, so the defender had to stay on. The referee warned before the free kick that he would be looking for any pushing or holding in the wall. Their player virtually body slams Davison to the floor (ok that last bit I've exaggerated a bit) and the ref immediately blows for the penalty. That's the way I saw it at the time, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

The foul happened before he blew the whistle. I think by then he had run out of patience with them and was looking for something. 

I remember being outraged that Charlie Palmer got sent off at Lincoln in 84/85 for turning round. It was a 0-0 draw and it didn’t cost us anything much, but it was an appalling decision.

The Burnley away (Madley) and Forest home (Atwell) were also appalling and much more vital so these win jointly I think.

I’m a bit young for the 76 cup semi but I understand most, including the RD Derby County story, think that was the most important poor decision in our history, everything was downhill from there to our relegation at the end of the decade.

29 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I remember being outraged that Charlie Palmer got sent off at Lincoln in 84/85 for turning round. It was a 0-0 draw and it didn’t cost us anything much, but it was an appalling decision.

The Burnley away (Madley) and Forest home (Atwell) were also appalling and much more vital so these win jointly I think.

I’m a bit young for the 76 cup semi but I understand most, including the RD Derby County story, think that was the most important poor decision in our history, everything was downhill from there to our relegation at the end of the decade.

That would be the bribed ref in our European Cup Semi final 1st leg v Juventus. All our players who were 1 booking from suspension got booked and couldn’t play the 2nd leg. Juventus allowed to get away with butchery as well. The 76 one a close second 

On 08/05/2024 at 22:31, DavesaRam said:

I would go for the Chris Martin sending iff against Burnley which cost us automatic promotion, and effectively triggered our demise.

But running it a very, very close second was Middlesbrough away in the relegation season during the war with the efl.

Crook elbowed Beilik in the face which didn’t even warrant a free kick when it should have been a red card, as was his scything down Max Bird. He got away with 2 yellow card offences as well, so was still on the pitch in time added on at the end of the first half to score from an offside position.

In terms of justice it tops the lot by miles, but the Burnley injustice cost us more.

Don’t forget he disallowed Hendricks goal at the same time when he alleged Martin dived. 

Disallowed a perfectly good goal and sent Chris Martin off when he got fouled. I wont say he should have given a penalty because Hendricks goal should have stood.

Andy Madeley I think was the ref. I would say the worst decision I have seen.

10 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Don’t forget he disallowed Hendricks goal at the same time when he alleged Martin dived. 

Disallowed a perfectly good goal and sent Chris Martin off when he got fouled. I wont say he should have given a penalty because Hendricks goal should have stood.

The resulting consequence of the action is what makes it so bad.

If it was in a 3-0 win at home to Watford, with Martin just collecting a yellow card for diving when really it should have been a penalty, then it gets quickly forgotten.

But it’s the subsequent consequences which make that decision a huge standout in recent memory. Martin sent off (and suspended), disallowing Hendrick’s goal, in a 2-0 loss to direct promotion rivals. Crazy sequence of events from one bad decision.

it never meant much as Rasiak missed anyway, but we were gifted a penalty in the playoff second leg against Preston. I was in the North Stand then and clear view. Never a penalty.

That decision to allow us to carry on... "Carry on, he said"... whilst poor old 11 man Forest had a man down with a self-induced hurty-knee was diabolical.  Wardy should never have been allowed to take the piss like he did!

They should have had an un-challenged drop ball mid way into our half, and a straight red for Young Nigel, for egging us on, and only making things worse!

Probably.

👀

56 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

That decision to allow us to carry on... "Carry on, he said"... whilst poor old 11 man Forest had a man down with a self-induced hurty-knee was diabolical.  Wardy should never have been allowed to take the piss like he did!

They should have had an un-challenged drop ball mid way into our half, and a straight red for Young Nigel, for egging us on, and only making things worse!

Probably.

👀

Has Clattenberg sent out a threatening tweet yet?

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Probably.

👀

They had a fkin nerve didn't they, after they'd surrounded the ref brandishing cards after their player ran into Fielding and fell over. They've got a very twisted idea of sportsmanship.

On 08/05/2024 at 20:08, Reggie Greenwood said:

Jack Taylor 1976 FA Cup Semi final v Manure when Dave Nish chipped the ball over the defence and ran on to score when the game was 1-0 but disallowed for a mystery player who was supposedly interfering with play. 
Roger Milford in the play off final v Fester not giving a blatant foul on Martin Taylor for their equaliser and letting Steve Walsh and co kick our players all over the park . 

Nish: eight Derby players offside in a line, pretty hard to suggest at least one of them was not interfering with play. Harsh one, but it was hardly the worst decision ever.

Walsh: agreed, but both Harkes and Johnson missed complete sitters that day plus Jossie should have cleared. Shouldn't have mattered.

On 08/05/2024 at 20:08, Reggie Greenwood said:

Jack Taylor 1976 FA Cup Semi final v Manure when Dave Nish chipped the ball over the defence and ran on to score when the game was 1-0 but disallowed for a mystery player who was supposedly interfering with play. 

On 08/05/2024 at 20:46, mozza said:

I rated Jack Taylor as probably the best / fairest referee in the country, this game and his decision totally blew that theory out of the water, and most likely cost us the chance of ever lifting the cup in my lifetime. Still hurts, 48 years later..

Going against the thread title, but this was an excellent decision...

Mwahahahahahahaha...

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2024 at 07:31, Mucker1884 said:

Probably.

👀

There was something so Cloughie about it all to me though, I bet many Forest fans would have been thinking ‘what would his dad have thought of that’ when really you know exactly what he would have thought

’Has the ref blown his whilstle? No? Well son, chuffing well play until he does’

Edited by TuffLuff

On 08/05/2024 at 22:59, GB SPORTS said:

Any Decision in the two legged European Cup v Juve, still can't abide the cheating barstewards to this day, safe to say if they were playing the gumps, I'd want the gumps to beat them.

As said previously the penalty against Rotherum in 86.

I

Cannot argue with these. Mine would be For Frannie Lee winning penalty v Leeds when Hunter did the 'diving' impression with his arms afterwards. They had a friendly "chat" about it later in the game! Against Nish "goal" v Man U in that semi final.

Posted (edited)

Pro decision:

Chris Martin winning a penalty vs Blackpool 13/14. He barely got touched, took about 5 big strides, realised he didn't have control of the ball, fell crash bang on the deck. Ref blew the whistle. Comical decision, classic wardrobe.

Worst decision:

I know it has been mentioned plenty of times (deservedly so), Atwell disallowing the Addison headed goal vs Red Dogs. Scandalous. The roof blew off Pride Park in pure anger. If Rob Earnshaw had scored the winner from running down the field afterwards, I don't think Atwell would have made it out of Derby alive. The state of refereeing in this country is summed up by that man being one of our "elite officials" yet he refereed that match and the Watford ghost goal in the same season.

Edited by SSD

On 20/05/2024 at 14:32, SSD said:

Pro decision:

Chris Martin winning a penalty vs Blackpool 13/14. He barely got touched, took about 5 big strides, realised he didn't have control of the ball, fell crash bang on the deck. Ref blew the whistle. Comical decision, classic wardrobe.

Worst decision:

I know it has been mentioned plenty of times (deservedly so), Atwell disallowing the Addison headed goal vs Red Dogs. Scandalous. The roof blew off Pride Park in pure anger. If Rob Earnshaw had scored the winner from running down the field afterwards, I don't think Atwell would have made it out of Derby alive. The state of refereeing in this country is summed up by that man being one of our "elite officials" yet he refereed that match and the Watford ghost goal in the same season.

I was going to say as forest countered they could easily have scored. If they had they'd have been a bit of a riot I fear and Atwell would have been in severe trouble. 

People say that VAR is ruining the game, and it's easy to make an argument for that because of the many examples when in this country when they just can't apply it correctly. But cast your minds back to pre-VAR days, when getting a decision at Anfield and Old Trafford was harder than spotting the ball in a Spot The Ball competition. Here's a great example of a referee bottling an easy decision at Anfield featuring our very own Rams, from the 1975-76 season when, for much of the season, we were chasing the Double. Charlie George's injury certainly scuppered us, but decisions like this one where Roger Davies is denied a clear penalty at the Kop end, didn't help. Ignore the incident where Phil Thompson, as last man, brings Rog down outside the penalty area, stays on the pitch, and is in the defending wall as at least 3 Liverpool players easily within 10 yards of the ball block Rioch's free-kick, because that was standard for the day at Anfield. There's some good examples though of Mackay's team taking no sh*t form the cheating scouse rabble:-

Edited by Crewton

On 12/05/2024 at 05:50, Gritstone Ram said:

Hendrick 😉