Retained List

People have used the number of clean sheets, to claim that Wildsmith is the best keeper in lg1. Clean sheets can be earned by the whole team and have been in Derby's case, I would imagine that our keepers made amongst the fewest top quality saves last season. I can't remember many times that we picked up points because our keeper was man of the match.

On the other hand, Cash and Nelson seemed to mop up most of the awards between them.

28 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Which is precisely £0 if no contract has been offered. 

If. It might only be a 2 letter word but one with huge meaning. There are posts in this thread saying he was offered a contract earlier this season and turned it down as we didn't offer enough. Weirdly enough, that rumour only seems to exist on FB and X. No reputable reports of such anywhere.

Should he have actually turned one down as it "wasn't enough", do you really think Rotherham will have offered him more than DCFC?

1 minute ago, MadAmster said:

If. It might only be a 2 letter word but one with huge meaning. There are posts in this thread saying he was offered a contract earlier this season and turned it down as we didn't offer enough. Weirdly enough, that rumour only seems to exist on FB and X. No reputable reports of such anywhere.

Should he have actually turned one down as it "wasn't enough", do you really think Rotherham will have offered him more than DCFC?

I wonder how often clubs simply don't offer anything?

Seems 'polite' regardless,  but also like good business sense most of the time to offer something....even if you have a good idea they won't accept. 

Sorry we don't see you as our number 1 striker,  we can only offer you 60% of your current wage to be reserve/back up so we totally understand its probably not what you want...

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Fergusson when releasing Clarke-Harris said..."I wish him all the best, I am sure he will get a good move and he deserves it.", So what is a good move, Peterboro to Rotherham is 90miles away, I can't see him staying in Peterboro and travelling up the M1 2+ hours each way, So a good move will be the money. 

Wildsmith is a decent keeper, Who could improve as the years move on, But...if he moves surely Rotherham would be a backward step...imo, So again only money will be the driving factor.

With not knowing Rotherham's finances...except the loss of circa £8m TV money can they throw money on a gamble for promotion at the 1st attempt 🤷‍♂️

Like you MadAmster I don't see Rotherham out bidding DCFC...but 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Ram-Alf

29 minutes ago, ram59 said:

People have used the number of clean sheets, to claim that Wildsmith is the best keeper in lg1. Clean sheets can be earned by the whole team and have been in Derby's case, I would imagine that our keepers made amongst the fewest top quality saves last season. I can't remember many times that we picked up points because our keeper was man of the match.

On the other hand, Cash and Nelson seemed to mop up most of the awards between them.

Didnt he have the 2nd highest save percentage? I'm sure someone posted that. 

How often are goalkeepers man of the match in a team at the top of the table?

I would say his save against Bolton was pretty pivotal

10 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

ITK ? Any other info Mick ?

Not really ITK, but I do know goalkeeping stuff, told Iverson is likely and that Vickers is off.

How true, I do not know, but I would trust my source 90%

On a personal scouting level that sounds good, maybe Jack Thompson will be 2nd choice, although that is my guess nothing true.

12 minutes ago, Gary Teale said:

Didnt he have the 2nd highest save percentage? I'm sure someone posted that. 

How often are goalkeepers man of the match in a team at the top of the table?

I would say his save against Bolton was pretty pivotal

And on a personal level I LOVE wildsmith, just because he is leaving it doesn't make him crap.

But maybe we just have to move on

36 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

There are posts in this thread saying he was offered a contract earlier this season and turned it down as we didn't offer enough. Weirdly enough, that rumour only seems to exist on FB and X. No reputable reports of such anywhere.

I heard this stated as a fact on Radio Derby by that co commentator chap Darren (don't know his 2nd name). Dom Dietrich did not challenge the statement or make any comment on it. So I took that as a fact that all the RD team were aware of. 

Just to be clear the RD comment did not suggest the reason for turning down the offer. That part is definitely speculation.

I dont see Iverson as a number 1. He was rather average when at Preston a couple of years back, and pretty poor at Stoke.

This would make sense if the rumour of Vickers leaving is also true. He'll also help with integrating any Danish (and Dutch to a lesser extent) players to the club.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I dont see Iverson as a number 1. He was rather average when at Preston a couple of years back, and pretty poor at Stoke.

This would make sense if the rumour of Vickers leaving is also true. He'll also help with integrating any Danish (and Dutch to a lesser extent) players to the club.

Don’t know why you think he was average at Preston. I remember before or after a Preston game on sky they did a segment on wether he was the best goalie in the league or not. 

He also won supporters player of the year and players player of the year in 2022.

Leicester fans also were desperate for him to start in the premier league when Ward was starting over him because he was performing well whenever he played.

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Don’t know why you think he was average at Preston. I remember before or after a Preston game on sky they did a segment on wether he was the best goalie in the league or not. 

He also won supporters player of the year and players player of the year in 2022.

Leicester fans also were desperate for him to start in the premier league when Ward was starting over him because he was performing well whenever he played.

Yep on the few occasions I’ve seen him play he’s been solid. Was class against us when we beat PNE 1-0 in the admin season. 

Worth noting though that maybe he’s had a poor season at Stoke as they don’t seem to be wanting to keep him around.

Is there anyone who is a 'cannot be released at any cost' player? 

It's definitely the flip side of the stress of suddenly finding you need to upgrade half your team...that suddenly almost anyone feels replaceable. 

Cashin probably the one person I wouldn't want to lose. Nelson next maybe even though comments abound regarding his previous season at this level.

I like NML, Wilson ...Niambe...but of those still 'in the balance' my opinion would totally depend on where we are shopping for their replacement. 

Barks, Sibley,  Collins, Fozzie, Thompson,  Wildsmith.. all could potentially do a job at this level but may also ultimately be 'bottom half' players... JJ, Waghorn,  Gayle... all massively injury prone.

It's nice to be able to be a fairly ambivalent observer for a change.

2 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Adding to this he’s also younger than Wildsmith and bigger, he also is in the 51st percentile for long balls compared to wildsmith 8th percentile. He was good at Stoke keeping 7 clean sheets in his 18 league games which is the exact same number they managed in their first 28 games. Definitely is an upgrade on what we have and could well sort out goalkeeper position out for the next 8-10 years in the tiny chance he stuck around here for the rest of his career.