Retained List

13 minutes ago, Srg said:

There's going to be players who have triggered extension who he likely wouldn't ideally want to keep for a Championship team.

I’d assumed most of the ‘options to extend’ negotiated over the past year or so were at the club’s option, not the player’s option …?

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

I’d assumed most of the ‘options to extend’ negotiated over the past year or so were at the club’s option, not the player’s option …?

Depends on the contract. Some of them will be automatic based on things like appearances.

4 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

If an extension is triggered, surely, those players are retained unless we pay them off or can sell them or get a loan deal. Until such a deal is struck they remain retained, don't they?

Correct, but they'd show on the retained list under a section for extensions. But my point is, if Warne had a blank slate, I'd imagine there might be some he would not have chosen.

13 minutes ago, Srg said:

Correct, but they'd show on the retained list under a section for extensions. But my point is, if Warne had a blank slate, I'd imagine there might be some he would not have chosen.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

There must have been some sort of “Trigger” in the contract of Elder . He is one of Warne’s favourites and PW busted a gut to get him on for a couple of minutes whenever he could . He did take a good corner when he came on one time .🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

There must have been some sort of “Trigger” in the contract of Elder . He is one of Warne’s favourites and PW busted a gut to get him on for a couple of minutes whenever he could . He did take a good corner when he came on one time .🤷🏻‍♂️

You're saying that PW preferred the interests of Elder over the interests of the club and needs of the team because he likes him?

🤔

18 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

There’s no need for your conspiracy theory around Elder’s contract having an extension trigger, he signed on a 3 year deal last summer. Perhaps Warne used Elder this season because…well…erm… he’s one of our players and contributed to our promotion this season. Radical idea I know 

29 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as most Forest fans, but you have to at least get the basics right.

Bit off-topic, but on the subject of Elder, I do think there's still plenty to come from him. I concede we've only seen flashes of ability to date, but I've a hunch he may yet prove to be a far better player than some credit.

He's obviously had his issues this season, but I'd not be surprised to see a different player if he can put his injury niggles behind him. If he can, then that also opens up the possibility of Sibley playing in a more advanced position. FWIW and counter-intuitive as it may sound, I'd fancy Louie more in an attacking role at Championship level, than at L1.

48 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

You're saying that PW preferred the interests of Elder over the interests of the club and needs of the team because he likes him?

🤔

Saw it with Rooney and Sibley and Marriott being thrown aside by Frank for his love child Bennett.  Both these things had a detrimental effect on those players going forward.  Believe Wisdom and Thorne flagged it re Lampard and someone else flagged it re Rooney, so favouritism does exist as it does in every workplace.  I have no logical reason why Barkhuizen was dropped last year for Dobbin when the former was flying.  That said, Elder has spent as much time on the bench as anyone, so I'm not seeing anything there myself.

22 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

When's our retained list coming out?

Warne said in his interview last week that it would be this week. But who knows they could be waiting to sort one or two things out before releasing. I did see Owen Bradley was doing a good bye interview with max bird today. So maybe he’s at work to do a few more interviews after it’s released potentially.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Saw it with Rooney and Sibley and Marriott being thrown aside by Frank for his love child Bennett.  Both these things had a detrimental effect on those players going forward.  Believe Wisdom and Thorne flagged it re Lampard and someone else flagged it re Rooney, so favouritism does exist as it does in every workplace.  I have no logical reason why Barkhuizen was dropped last year for Dobbin when the former was flying.  That said, Elder has spent as much time on the bench as anyone, so I'm not seeing anything there myself.

No doubt managers have their favourites and there's nothing particularly sinister about it. Once you decide you can rely on someone it's hard to change your mind, just as it's hard to trust someone after deciding that you don't.

What I was responding to is a different suggestion, that PW deliberately played Elder, even when it didn't appear to be the right solution for the team, just so that Elder could get a contract extension.

1 minute ago, AutoWindscreens said:

No doubt managers have their favourites and there's nothing particularly sinister about it. Once you decide you can rely on someone it's hard to change your mind, just as it's hard to trust someone after deciding that you don't.

What I was responding to is a different suggestion, that PW deliberately played Elder, even when it didn't appear to be the right solution for the team, just so that Elder could get a contract extension.

I haven’t seen anything from Elder to suggest he’s a Championship player. Looks a bang average squad player to me.

Just now, Anag Ram said:

I haven’t seen anything from Elder to suggest he’s a Championship player. Looks a bang average squad player to me.

Have to agree. Wouldn't want him first choice. An athlete (who's been injured a lot so far) who isn't much of a footballer.