The Legend of Clough

From the BBC:

Taming the Crazy Gang, a blank contract & David Currie - the legend of Clough

Goalkeeper Mark Crossley spent most of his career at Nottingham Forest after making his debut in 1989 - and that meant he got a front row seat in the world of Brian Clough.

The double European Cup-winning manager, one of the great characters in the history of the English game, was Crossley's boss for the first four seasons of his career.

He recounted some of his favourite tales from those years on the Sacked in the Morning podcast.

Full article here:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/clm3g30dyk5o

Full podcast here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0hsl2f8

45 minutes ago, cannable said:

I know it’s probably blasphemy… but some of these ‘funny’ anecdotes about Clough just make him sound like a nob. 

He was in rapid decline in his later years at Forest, especially after the split with Taylor. Didn't do training. Was hitting the bottle more. 

All very sad.

58 minutes ago, cannable said:

I know it’s probably blasphemy… but some of these ‘funny’ anecdotes about Clough just make him sound like a nob. 

It's a fine line between genius and craziness that genius sometimes crosses I guess.

Edited by InstaRam

49 minutes ago, cannable said:

He'd always watch both his Sons Simon and Nigel play for A C Hunters in the Derby Sunday City league and they'd play in Forest kits which was a red rag to some teams...any road.

One of those teams was Coronation 81 who could mix it with the best of em, They'd normally kick A C Hunters to bits and BC would watch with no complaints, One of 81s players went down with knee trouble...ambulance called and off to hospital, BC asked through A C Hunters to find out how the player was, Once out of Hospital and out of plaster BC invites the player for rehabilitation at Forest, Player took him up on the invite and it was very much appreciated.

When Hunters played 81 again... there was never any trouble...on or off the field...clever bloke was our BC 👌  

14 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

He'd always watch both his Sons Simon and Nigel play for A C Hunters in the Derby Sunday City league and they'd play in Forest kits which was a red rag to some teams...any road.

One of those teams was Coronation 81 who could mix it with the best of em, They'd normally kick A C Hunters to bits and BC would watch with no complaints, One of 81s players went down with knee trouble...ambulance called and off to hospital, BC asked through A C Hunters to find out how the player was, Once out of Hospital and out of plaster BC invites the player for rehabilitation at Forest, Player took him up on the invite and it was very much appreciated.

When Hunters played 81 again... there was never any trouble...on or off the field...clever bloke was our BC 👌  

He also got one of the Coro lads who was a Celtic fan 2 tickets for the Celtic end for their game at the City Ground in the UEFA Cup in 1983. For all his flaws, he was always doing that kind of stuff for people.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

He also got one of the Coro lads who was a Celtic fan 2 tickets for the Celtic end for their game at the City Ground in the UEFA Cup in 1983. For all his flaws, he was always doing that kind of stuff for people.

My wife was stood behind him at the till in the co-op in Allestree and both were geld up by an old dear trying to pay for her shopping with shrapnel, and Clough just reached around her and paid the whole bill for her!

What a guy!

My mum has a story about him when my grandad went to get the season tickets the season they got promoted to division 1, my grandad was "discussing" the unacceptably of the tickets being offered to him and Brian Clough walks past. The upshot was they had good seats that season.

I also had a uni lecturer who claimed to have been a drinking buddy of his when he was managing Derby. A uni lecturer with a reputation for boozing and unreliability it has to be said.

But I don't think we should paper over the damage the alcoholism did to him, his family and those around him. Addiction can be so destructive.

An old friend who lived on Meadow Lane Chadd was dating BCs Daughter(Elizabeth)she was a bit of a rebel in them days, Dad wasn't impressed as there was a big age difference.

BC and my mate ended up having fisticuffs on my mates front garden, The story hit the News of the World, He made a few bob, We weren't to impressed with him selling the story...he soon bailed from Chadd...never to be seen again by us 🤷‍♂️  

3 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

An old friend who lived on Meadow Lane Chadd was dating BCs Daughter(Elizabeth)she was a bit of a rebel in them days, Dad wasn't impressed as there was a big age difference.

BC and my mate ended up having fisticuffs on my mates front garden, The story hit the News of the World, He made a few bob, We weren't to impressed with him selling the story...he soon bailed from Chadd...never to be seen again by us 🤷‍♂️  

Yep I heard that darling daughter Elizabeth was a bit "Wild" back in the day! Lots of stories around town..a bit of a handful! 

On 25/04/2024 at 00:31, ramit said:

Clough is why I became a Derby County fan.  I was only 9 but knew he was my kind of mad genius.

Really enjoyed that, thanks Comrade

Exactly the same. 

Sheffield born and bred. Love Sheffield and a big supporter of Yorkshire cricket.

I was only 9 and was to drawn to the larger than life character of Brian Clough.

I was a Wednesday fan until 1969 when the Owls were relegated from the old first division.

Derby finished 4th that season. I have supported the Rams ever since then. 55 years later and a couple of League titles was one of my better decisions.

I feel bad to admit during the seventies we lost a League cup tie at Southampton 5-0 and I decided to support Liverpool.

That lasted 3 days until I realised I was a Ram for evermore.

Nowadays the players would be suing him for bullying .and their agents would be feeding stories to the press about them getting counselling for the damage to their mental health (fragile ego). Don't think Ben White would be signing for him anytime soon.