Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

Off to Wycombe shortly , feeling confident we will be coming back with the points , the last two performances against Blackpool and Portsmouth have shown me that the lads have a steely determination to get the job done, tonight won’t be pretty but it’s all about the result

Safe trip down to all fellow Rams fans and let’s roar the lads on to a vital win  COYR

24 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Off to Wycombe shortly , feeling confident we will be coming back with the points , the last two performances against Blackpool and Portsmouth have shown me that the lads have a steely determination to get the job done, tonight won’t be pretty but it’s all about the result

Safe trip down to all fellow Rams fans and let’s roar the lads on to a vital win  COYR

Lucky sod , was thinking about the old days when on mornings like this you just knew you wanted to be there and would jump in the car and be able to buy a ticket at the away ticket office for away and home sections and or take a punt you could get in some way

them were ta days🤷🏻‍♂️

51 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

I wonder if Smith might slot into right back tonight to allow us to keep a similar system up top.

Wildsmith 

Smith Nelson Cashin Sibley 

Tommo Adams 

Wilson NML CBT

Collins

If Wilson plays right back and Ward is out, we’ll be forced to go either with two strikers or three central midfielders.

I’m not saying this is what I’d do, but I think PW might go for it. I personally want to see NML back out wide asap. 

I get you're playing devil's advocate here, but a 2 MF of Thommo and Ebou, with Nate again played through the middle...

Jim Carrey Omg GIF

34 minutes ago, Archied said:

Lucky sod , was thinking about the old days when on mornings like this you just knew you wanted to be there and would jump in the car and be able to buy a ticket at the away ticket office for away and home sections and or take a punt you could get in some way

them were ta days🤷🏻‍♂️

I love watching the coverage of Bundesliga games, where the diehards are at each end of the ground, and the middle sections have fans of both teams chatting, shaking hands etc. I wonder if they ever have any trouble? The Germany fans I have met seem very phlegmatic about their football these days and can take winning and losing in their stride equally well. 

If Bird's back, I'd get him straight back in...

Wildsmith
     Wilson  Nelson  Cashin  Sibley
                  Smith  Adams
Mendez-Laing  Bird  Blackett-Taylor
                        Collins

A weird mix of excited and nervous for this one... if Wycombe have indeed been trying to change their style of play this season, that could play into our hands! COYR 🐏

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

I love watching the coverage of Bundesliga games, where the diehards are at each end of the ground, and the middle sections have fans of both teams chatting, shaking hands etc. I wonder if they ever have any trouble? The Germany fans I have met seem very phlegmatic about their football these days and can take winning and losing in their stride equally well. 

I take days to get over a defeat now, I'm sure I never used to be as affected as I am now....

Just now, Pikeyram said:

I take days to get over a defeat now, I'm sure I never used to be as affected as I am now....

That's interesting and I do wonder why that appears to be so for a lot of people. 

I found the administration very worrying, and I suppose I've just been celebrating us having a team to support ever since. 

I also know that very few teams "succeed" in the strict definition of getting promoted/winning something, so there are a lot more teams who are losers than there are winners. 

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

I watched the game and the first half certainly wasn't played at any real pace, but they players will still have less energy than they would have. We need to play smart and stretch the game, but do so without forcing it. If we move the ball around and guard it well enough, they will tire from the 60 minute mark. Bravado aside, it's a nothing game for them, after all. Their race is run.

If there’s an advantage it will be late in the game, so if it’s still 0-0 at about 65 mins I expect us to really push on. Even with substitutions they will be susceptible to attacks at pace. For this reason I don’t want to see PW taking CBT or Nat off around that time (unless we are 2-0 up or more of course).

20 hours ago, SKRam said:

A Yank in the ranks of officialdom. Hmmm. 
Matt Donohue reffed East Anglia Derby on Sat I thought he was outstanding, one of best games I’ve seen a ref have this season. I’ll look out for him! This fella, like many, I’ve never heard of. Hope he can grow a pair for Wicked Wanderers tactics. 

If the MLS is anything to go by then he will make it a ‘no contact’’ sport/game… not sure who that benefits most, but Ebou needs to be careful when getting stuck in…

Hi All, I hope you are all good? Come in peace, I just wanted to let those who are driving down know about things to think about before getting to the ground.

At the moment, there are 2 different sets of roadworks that have temp traffic lights. One is on a busy bit of the A40 and the other is on Lane End Road (the road that links to the stadium's road). I hope that makes sense? If the M40 is trouble-free, I'd go down to Junction 4, that way you'll miss the first set of roadworks. However, the M40 has been an accident hotspot of late so judge when you get closer to the area. 

Hope everyone has a safe journey down

I've read through your comments, some of your points are valid and I can understand where you've come from and some are a little outdated. 

In the past and under Gareth Ainsworth, we were the masters of the dark arts and I'll be the first to admit that the football was sometimes very horrible to watch but he did guide us to our most successful period which causes a lot of our fans to ignore our style of play. However, this season has been a change under Matt Bloomfield. He has been willing to move away from the slow game and look to try and get some more "flow" into our game. Hopefully those at the game and watching at home might see a bit of difference. This change has been more noticeable since Jan Transfer Window when we brought in new players. I think it's safe to say that Stevenage and Northampton have looked at the dark-arts this season and have mild moments of success with it.

With regards to our game at Wembley on Sunday, one big thing that changed our style of play was the pitch size. We have a habit of sitting back and hitting teams on the counter on the bigger / wider pitches. However, when we play at home, our pitch is on the smaller side of the measurements which allows us to play with a little bit more pace and our game plan changes. Yes, Peterborough had an awful lot of the ball at Wembley but for a long periods of time, all they did was move it from side to side looking for a gap. As someone mentioned, they had 70% possession, managed only 1 more shot on target that Wycombe and only won it with a wind-assisted cross. 

It looks like tonight will be a really interesting fixture. We have 4 "fresh" players coming into the side as they were cup-tied from Sunday's game and several of the players are looking to improve on their performance from Sunday (Please note that I haven't mentioned that I thought we played well on Sunday - we didn't!). You guys looking threating and I've watched several of your highlights and think that you'll ask several questions of our defence. You will be fresher than us after having a nice 9 day break without a game so that does make us nervous too. It will all be decided on the pitch in the 90 minutes. 

Good luck!

Edited by Peaceful Chairboy

36 minutes ago, Peaceful Chairboy said:

Hi All, I hope you are all good? Come in peace, I just wanted to let those who are driving down know about things to think about before getting to the ground.

At the moment, there are 2 different sets of roadworks that have temp traffic lights. One is on a busy bit of the A40 and the other is on Lane End Road (the road that links to the stadium's road). I hope that makes sense? If the M40 is trouble-free, I'd go down to Junction 4, that way you'll miss the first set of roadworks. However, the M40 has been an accident hotspot of late so judge when you get closer to the area. 

Hope everyone has a safe journey down

Anywhere you'd reccommend for a drink and bite to eat near the station @Peaceful Chairboy

19 minutes ago, Peaceful Chairboy said:

I've read through your comments, some of your points are valid and I can understand where you've come from and some are a little outdated. 

In the past and under Gareth Ainsworth, we were the masters of the dark arts and I'll be the first to admit that the football was sometimes very horrible to watch but he did guide us to our most successful period which causes a lot of our fans to ignore our style of play. However, this season has been a change under Matt Bloomfield. He has been willing to move away from the slow game and look to try and get some more "flow" into our game. Hopefully those at the game and watching at home might see a bit of difference. This change has been more noticeable since Jan Transfer Window when we brought in new players. I think it's safe to say that Stevenage and Northampton have looked at the dark-arts this season and have mild moments of success with it.

With regards to our game at Wembley on Sunday, one big thing that changed our style of play was the pitch size. We have a habit of sitting back and hitting teams on the counter on the bigger / wider pitches. However, when we play at home, our pitch is on the smaller side of the measurements which allows us to play with a little bit more pace and our game plan changes. Yes, Peterborough had an awful lot of the ball at Wembley but for a long periods of time, all they did was move it from side to side looking for a gap. As someone mentioned, they had 70% possession, managed only 1 more shot on target that Wycombe and only won it with a wind-assisted cross. 

It looks like tonight will be a really interesting fixture. We have 4 "fresh" players coming into the side as they were cup-tied from Sunday's game and several of the players are looking to improve on their performance from Sunday (Please note that I haven't mentioned that I thought we played well on Sunday - we didn't!). You guys looking threating and I've watched several of your highlights and think that you'll ask several questions of our defence. You will be fresher than us after having a nice 9 day break without a game so that does make us nervous too. It will all be decided on the pitch in the 90 minutes. 

Good luck!

Good post @Peaceful Chairboy. Make no mistake we are under no illusion that this will be anything other than a tough game for us. You have no burden on your shoulders; we have the spectre of failure & the weight of that will determine the result. The officials as always will be a key determining factor. Hope it’s a good spectacle and may the best team be victorious. 

9 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

Anywhere you'd reccommend for a drink and bite to eat near the station @Peaceful Chairboy

The Flint Cottage isn't bad for a drink however I don't remember if it does food. You have the Falcon which is a Wetherspoons if you want a pint and something to eat and thats at the bottom of the hill and towards the middle of town. Bear in mind, you'll have a taxi journey to get to the ground from the Station, I wouldn't walk it as it's too far away

42 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

For the tactics tonight we’ve got to hold and give, but do it at the right time. We can be slow or fast, but we must get to the line.

They'll always hit us and hurt us, defend and attack. There's only one way to beat them - get round the back.

World Cup England GIF