Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Hard to know which Wycombe we'll face; will they be at their dogged and determined best, or will they be suffering from a Wembley hangover?

Doesn’t sound like they or P’boro overly exerted themselves on Sunday, so expect Wycombe to have had ample recovery for their real cup final tonight.

3 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

No doubt this is a big game, not just for us but the chasing pack too.  In particular if we lose, it’ll give them a bit of hope.

Something I’ve been thinking about since Portsmouth is the GK position.  I wonder if PW may switch to Vickers for the last 4 games.  There were some moments with Wildsmith in the last game that I think will have caused some debate at Moor Farm, and none of them related to the goals.

Firstly, the handball.  Not that specifically but being there in the first place.  My initial reaction when I saw him coming out was that he’d give a penalty away as it was almost identical to the Oxford & Charlton games.  Then the chance they hit over the bar.  Wildsmith didn’t judge the flight of the ball in the conditions, didn’t claim the cross and it led to a chance.  And finally, right at the end, he caught the ball and Cashin went down under a challenge, clearly wanting to slow it down.  Wildsmith released the ball quickly, something he rarely if ever does, and losing possession could have cost us.  Cashin wasn’t very happy.

I think it’ll come down to who Warne trusts the most for the run in.  Who does he have more confidence in to keep their head?  It’s a big call but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change between the sticks.

I’d be surprised to see a change. I think Vickers started (?in Jan) for contractual reasons or similar and I think Wildsmith is the better keeper. Conditions at Portsmouth were awful so keeping errors were likely. That said, Wildsmith does seem to be developing a habit of walzing out to the left front corner of his box then doing something crazy. It looks awful when it happens but one of his great strengths is decisiveness and quick thinking and so when he gets things wrong it looks even worse than it is, because he commits to it 100%

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I’d be surprised to see a change. I think Vickers started (?in Jan) for contractual reasons or similar and I think Wildsmith is the better keeper. Conditions at Portsmouth were awful so keeping errors were likely. That said, Wildsmith does seem to be developing a habit of walzing out to the left front corner of his box then doing something crazy. It looks awful when it happens but one of his great strengths is decisiveness and quick thinking and so when he gets things wrong it looks even worse than it is, because he commits to it 100%

Some would say once is an error, three times is the lack of a lesson learned!

It's just so important to start well tonight. Get on top out the gates ...out battle /work them and let them feel it means much more to us. 

We do that sometimes but if we don't score early there is then a lull and we can give the opposition confidence and start giving the ball away very easily.

Intensity is massively needed,  moving the ball quickly, energy all over the pitch and make it a cup final they aren't that bothered about participating in. Hopefully get an early goal and then sweep them away. 

If not I feel it could be a long night where we give them too much respect and something to play for.

Wildsmith

Wilson Nelson Cash Sibley

CBT Adams Smith NML

Washington

Collins 

8 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Doesn’t sound like they or P’boro overly exerted themselves on Sunday, so expect Wycombe to have had ample recovery for their real cup final tonight.

I watched the game and the first half certainly wasn't played at any real pace, but they players will still have less energy than they would have. We need to play smart and stretch the game, but do so without forcing it. If we move the ball around and guard it well enough, they will tire from the 60 minute mark. Bravado aside, it's a nothing game for them, after all. Their race is run.

8 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

I don’t think Wycombe or their fans will be 100% tonight. Their season is over. And I don’t think they remain as focused as we do on the Morris/Couhig history. The only question is whether our fans will goad them from their torpidity… 

Just now, Comrade 86 said:

From the Christmas period, pretty much to end of season, there aren't too many week long breaks though, are there? You say it's not significant, but would you rather 3 games over 8 days or two. There's arguments for both options IMO and I don't see folk discussing it as being something worth addressing.

I'm not sure about others, but I've alluded to us having not really prospered immediately after international breaks, when it's looked to all intents that with injuries and congested schedules, it should have benefitted us. Richie Barker made the same point this week, that in some ways, we could have done without the break in momentum, having played so well against Portsmouth. Whether is a benefit or a drawback, nobody can say for sure, at least not until 10.00pm tonight.

It was more prompted by Ed Dawes on Sportscene last night referring to it erroneously as a "9 day break", but you do seem to be echoing what the presenters were saying.

There's actually been five 1 week breaks since the end of January and two 6 day breaks. After Saturday, there's a week long break between each remaining fixture. This time, it's 8 days. What difference does a day make other than give extra time for players to recover from a hard game at Pompey?

For the last few weeks, the consensus on here has been that other teams' fixture pile-up could be helpful to us. We've all expressed concern that playing Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday was a problem for our older players, but now not playing as many games is a problem?

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I don’t think Wycombe or their fans will be 100% tonight. Their season is over. And I don’t think they remain as focused as we do on the Morris/Couhig history. The only question is whether our fans will goad them from their torpidity… 

Torpidity..........impressive use of the english language.

14 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It was more prompted by Ed Dawes on Sportscene last night referring to it erroneously as a "9 day break", but you do seem to be echoing what the presenters were saying.

There's actually been five 1 week breaks since the end of January and two 6 day breaks. After Saturday, there's a week long break between each remaining fixture. This time, it's 8 days. What difference does a day make other than give extra time for players to recover from a hard game at Pompey?

For the last few weeks, the consensus on here has been that other teams' fixture pile-up could be helpful to us. We've all expressed concern that playing Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday was a problem for our older players, but now not playing as many games is a problem?

I don't think many think it's a major problem and I'm certain it's scarcely worth a debate. Seems a bit nitpicky to be honest.

My priority today is utterly aimed in Muckerette's direction, as we wave our last goodbyes to her dad this avvy, amidst the gloriously coloured scent of Spring (His favourite season! 😊), but rest assured, given the circumstances, I will have half an eye on matchday proceedings this evening.

Safe trip to all, and here's to an absolutely massive 3 points for the Mighty Rams.
May the Thunderbird gifs be a-plenty.

🐏

Edited by Mucker1884
capital R for Rams... always!

50 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Googles "torpidity" ....

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I think it’s just classic football fan/pundit talk which covers all bases. Experienced/old are positive and negative ways of saying the same thing.

as fans I think we almost look for anything that can go wrong!

I wonder if Smith might slot into right back tonight to allow us to keep a similar system up top.

Wildsmith 

Smith Nelson Cashin Sibley 

Tommo Adams 

Wilson NML CBT

Collins

If Wilson plays right back and Ward is out, we’ll be forced to go either with two strikers or three central midfielders.

I’m not saying this is what I’d do, but I think PW might go for it. I personally want to see NML back out wide asap.