Reading Owner Sells Training Ground to Wycombe Wanderers

JfR

Not really sure how to feel about this. All clubs are pretty opportunistic when someone is going through trouble - can’t imagine we would’ve been too worried about picking up some of Reading’s players on the cheap in January but this feels more egregious.

Surely you cannot have other clubs owning a teams training ground? 

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Not really sure how to feel about this. All clubs are pretty opportunistic when someone is going through trouble - can’t imagine we would’ve been too worried about picking up some of Reading’s players on the cheap in January but this feels more egregious.

Surely you cannot have other clubs owning a teams training ground? 

It's a relatively new facility, not far from Wycombe. They won't be owning another team's training ground, they'll be using it themselves.

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

It's a relatively new facility, not far from Wycombe. They won't be owning another team's training ground, they'll be using it themselves.

Is it really feasible for a club of Wycombe's size to fund the operating costs of a cat 1 academy?

Just had a gander on the Readfing forums - someone has raised a great point regarding the running costs of the training ground and how a tin pot club like Wycombe can afford it - and that's ignoring the £50m cost of building the place and what it's actually cost the ambulance chaser to buy it.....

10 minutes ago, Anon said:

Is it really feasible for a club of Wycombe's size to fund the operating costs of a cat 1 academy?

They haven't bought Reading's academy... they can run whatever level of academy they want. They just have the facilities which are way better than what they have now for pennies on the pound no doubt.

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

Yep - they are at it again.  Profiteering at another club in financial trouble’s expense.

Really starting to despise that club.

Reading fc asked Wycombe apparently! A hard sell now so maybe admin coming soon assuming the owner will not put the money into the club 

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/24184878.wycombe-save-reading-training-ground-purchase/

It is now hoped that the sale will help save the long-term future of the Royals, who have been hit with multiple points deductions and fines since the start of the season. 

Statement expected today.

I don't care who the parties involved are, this doesn't sit well with me at all. I don't think it does anything but make Reading a harder sell.

9 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/24184878.wycombe-save-reading-training-ground-purchase/

Statement expected today.

I don't care who the parties involved are, this doesn't sit well with me at all. I don't think it does anything but make Reading a harder sell.

Next step Admin for them by the look of it - it's hard to see a positive way forward for them as they're now even less attractive than they were before....

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

They'll have got nothing for this.  Their gobshite of a chairman was pulling in the purse strings at the start of the season and trying to sell. Very odd

I think he still might be. They might be buying the training ground for £20-25m, but I'm sure he'll sell it for closer to its original £50m cost when he sells the club. One last money spinner before he hopefully pisses off for good.

19 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

They'll have got nothing for this.  Their gobshite of a chairman was pulling in the purse strings at the start of the season and trying to sell. Very odd

Rumoured figure of £20-25m. Apparently cost twice that.

Just now, Animal is a Ram said:

Rumoured figure of £20-25m. Apparently cost twice that.

Looks like an investment company have put up the cash released over a period of time.  Suspect this will be rented out to another party most of the time- local council maybe and then flogged for development in 10 years.