Portsmouth Away moved for TV

Well, like for many others, that has stuffed me completely. Had long ago planned the Easter weekend, and due to long standing arrangements on the Tuesday I won't be able to go or even watch the match on RamsTV.

This game was part of getting me to the 15+ away category for next season, assuming ticket priority sales are the same, making it easier getting tickets with a 15+ mate that at present is hit and miss and a complete pain in the rear juggling with each match. 

On reflection Sky has now taught me a valuable lesson in not getting hung up about being able to actually attend matches. The great works they do in skewing the leagues making them ultra competitive such as with money used for parachute payments (Come on Leicester, Leeds and Southampton, you plucky clubs can miraculously bounce straight back up to the PL!) is more important than fans that actually go to the games. 

As it's only going to get worse next season then I just need to get my head round the slight obsession I have with going to games, and accept that to have any sort of life outside of football without a completely clear diary for the year means that supporting Derby in person is going to be more hit and miss in future.

9 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Stop moaning you Plastics. Me and @Van der MoodHoover will make the slog there and back without complaint. Can you buy tickets on the day? I’ll watch it on TV if it’s rainy.

If you can do a Bed n Breakfast for the night can I watch with you and VDM...you see I have some free time as Belper Town haven't a game 😁

On 29/02/2024 at 16:06, NottsRam said:

Absolute joke

Eye of the beholder.  Those of us who can't go can watch the match on Sky and get to get out of the house on Easter Monday.  Win win.

On 01/03/2024 at 00:58, Will the Ram said:

The match would’ve been streamable on Rams TV anyway as it’s not a Saturday 3pm match so it being sky hasn’t really changed things for people watching it at home etc.

On 01/03/2024 at 05:16, Mucker1884 said:

I did loosely consider the RamsTV thing when posting, but hadn't realised about the Sat 3pm criteria thing.  I should have realised!
So yes, with that, I'll save myself a couple of quid and put my tenner to RamsTV... and still sing the anti-Sky songs.  Win Win!  🍻👍

With it being on Sky, it's only available to 'overseas' viewers. Take a quick trip abroad and you can watch it.

This is obviously a nightmare for people planning an Easter trip to the South Coast. It also means a day off work for people travelling down, then getting home ridiculously early too.

But in terms of the trains, was anyone actually planning to travel to Portsmouth and back by train on Easter Monday. The chances of that working properly are very slim.

It's also a 4 hour each way journey, going through London on the tube, and £128 return. The drive is 3 hours each way, and door to door too, rather than having to get to stations.

57 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

This is obviously a nightmare for people planning an Easter trip to the South Coast. It also means a day off work for people travelling down, then getting home ridiculously early too.

But in terms of the trains, was anyone actually planning to travel to Portsmouth and back by train on Easter Monday. The chances of that working properly are very slim.

It's also a 4 hour each way journey, going through London on the tube, and £128 return. The drive is 3 hours each way, and door to door too, rather than having to get to stations.

Academic now, but no need to traverse London, just get the Manchester-Southampton Cross-Country service from Birmingham.

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Academic now, but no need to traverse London, just get the Manchester-Southampton Cross-Country service from Birmingham.

Ah, it didn't show me that one, or I didn't see it. Would it still take about 4 hours too. Plus probably won't run on a bank holiday.

On 29/02/2024 at 16:20, AGR said:

This needs regulating now. If the away supporters are unable to get home via train it shouldn't be allowed, simple as.

The only train back to derby after the match takes 8hrs 40min

On occasions I have slept overnight in European train stations waiting rooms but sure that’s not allowed anymore plus too old now need a comfy bed.

29 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Ah, it didn't show me that one, or I didn't see it. Would it still take about 4 hours too. Plus probably won't run on a bank holiday.

It's an hourly service.

53 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

First train in the morning goes direct from Derby no change at Birmingham change at Southampton 
Departs 07.01 arrives 11:43 Fratton.

Cheapest over night ticket with rail card/split ticket is £85. Only done a quick though.

Departs 10:54 Fratton to Derby 15:08 change at Southampton and Birmingham.

4 hours ago, cstand said:

First train in the morning goes direct from Derby no change at Birmingham change at Southampton 
Departs 07.01 arrives 11:43 Fratton.

Cheapest over night ticket with rail card/split ticket is £85. Only done a quick though.

Departs 10:54 Fratton to Derby 15:08 change at Southampton and Birmingham.

Correction first train departs Derby 07:13

With a lot of planning. Derby - Birmingham - Euston - Fratton for £53 might be possible.

Just need overnight accommodation.

Edited by cstand

On 03/03/2024 at 00:08, CBX1985 said:

Eye of the beholder.  Those of us who can't go can watch the match on Sky and get to get out of the house on Easter Monday.  Win win.

With all due respect, i can't go either so I can watch it on Sky, however i have a lot of friends who do a lot of away games and this ridiculous change has really thrown a spanner in the works.

On 01/03/2024 at 08:21, WestKentRam said:

Well, like for many others, that has stuffed me completely. Had long ago planned the Easter weekend, and due to long standing arrangements on the Tuesday I won't be able to go or even watch the match on RamsTV.

This game was part of getting me to the 15+ away category for next season, assuming ticket priority sales are the same, making it easier getting tickets with a 15+ mate that at present is hit and miss and a complete pain in the rear juggling with each match. 

On reflection Sky has now taught me a valuable lesson in not getting hung up about being able to actually attend matches. The great works they do in skewing the leagues making them ultra competitive such as with money used for parachute payments (Come on Leicester, Leeds and Southampton, you plucky clubs can miraculously bounce straight back up to the PL!) is more important than fans that actually go to the games. 

As it's only going to get worse next season then I just need to get my head round the slight obsession I have with going to games, and accept that to have any sort of life outside of football without a completely clear diary for the year means that supporting Derby in person is going to be more hit and miss in future.

Even worse for expats with regard to getting to games. When planning trips home round games we already have to take account of international breaks, possible bad weather, train strikes, pilot or Air Traffic Control issues.... 

Now we have to take account of matches (being Derby, about half ours will be moved from 15:00 on a Saturday) taking place on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday on top of the 10 or so schedules midweek games. TV games will be announced about 4 weeks ahead of the game meaning booking flights, trains, hotels will be more expensive. 

Purely on a financial basis, this is likely to result in my attending less games next season. Thankfully I have a RamsTV subscription so I'll be able to see all the games I can't attend on my TV.

On 04/03/2024 at 10:00, NottsRam said:

With all due respect, i can't go either so I can watch it on Sky, however i have a lot of friends who do a lot of away games and this ridiculous change has really thrown a spanner in the works.

I was being slightly facetious. I agree moving fixtures is a nightmare and should be given more time.  My point was more that getting away tickets is so difficult these days that for more people than can actually attend.

There is a lot of criticism of broadcasters, but they put a lot of money in and they are going to want to have the best slots.  

Unfortunately the EFL have sold their soul for Sky TV cash, in order to keep their heads above the water in the financial chaos of football. If the clubs stopped paying out the ridiculous levels of wages to players then this would not be necessary. 😞 Who do we complain about Sky TV for working to the contract the EFL have signed, or the clubs and the EFL for signing it?

I'd suggest halving the EFL wage bill in every division would be a good start?

5 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

Unfortunately the EFL have sold their soul for Sky TV cash, in order to keep their heads above the water in the financial chaos of football. If the clubs stopped paying out the ridiculous levels of wages to players then this would not be necessary. 😞 Who do we complain about Sky TV for working to the contract the EFL have signed, or the clubs and the EFL for signing it?

I'd suggest halving the EFL wage bill in every division would be a good start?

Nice sentiment, but we live in a market economy and professional football is one of the most competitive work environments of in the world.

The Premier League sells for big money all over the world.  The leagues below, for which we belong, are all - in reality - in competition with those clubs (i.e. they can go down and we can go up).

Unless you have a wage cap, in which case everyone will want to be paid the cap regardless of ability, halving wages cannot feasibly happen.  Teams that want to get into the PL are always going to want to spend to get there.  Teams don't have to pay any wages they don't want to; we wouldn't want to become League Two so need to pay a going rate for a short career that may end any given week that of 100 talented footballers, 1 will break through into an established pro.  They are highly skilled and require fair remuneration of that fact.  

Sky TV money is the lifeblood of the game.  What some don't like is it's affects on their experience, as they are not the primary consumer: Sky are.  i would rather healthy balance sheets but crappy kick offs than the alternative.