Tippy tappy

Exeter were easy on the eye and that was about it. Possession for possessions sake is pointless.

I'll never forget when we played Shrew away last season, and had about 80% of possession. Cash made the most passes during the match in the history of forever.

We were absolutely toothless upfront that night.

Unfortunatelly we have players who are perfect for a counter and that is why our away form is so good. When it comes to dominating at home we have seldom been able. A very difficult quandary to overcome as home fans would rightly be pissed if we sit back and let the opposition dictate.

Last night was solid beef and very pragmatic. Worked a treat

Edited by Ram a lamb a ding dong

7 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Exeter were easy on the eye and that was about it. Possession for possessions sake is pointless.

I'll never forget when we played Shrew away last season, and had about 80% of possession. Cash made the most passes during the match in the history of forever.

Unfortunatelly we have players who are perfect for a counter and that is why our away form is so good. When it comes to dominating at home we have seldom been able. A very difficult quandary to overcome as home fans would rightly be pissed if we sit back and let the opposition dictate.

You've missed the point completely. It is never wing ugly vs lose pretty.

Would I rather be 2nd playing Warneball or 13th watching Exeter? Warnebsll wins.

However, would I rather be Exeter or a more route 1 type side such as Northampton or Wycombe and be in roughly the same spot? Another clear winner.

9 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Get your point and share some of your concerns, though I do think we have the personnel now available to be effective at home too. I'd give it a couple more games with the 4-3-3 sort of set up and see what transpires. Stevenage will provide a stern test but I'd not be dismissing our ability to impress at home just yet. I think the change of formation is a bit of a watershed, my only frustration being that we persisted with less effective line ups for too long. Frankly, if we were to find our scoring boots at home, we could probably still win this league and there's plenty of time yet.

The point I was making was that under Liam he wanted to play football for the sake of it and at all costs. 

Exeter looked the same last night.

I'm all for pragmatism and last night was the epitome of that. I really enjoyed the fact we defended resolutely and then looked to get in behind their fullbacks.

Away from home we are perfectly set up as the onus is always on the home team to press. 

Home is where the problem is. Maybe win all the away matches and draw all the hone matches???

9 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Get your point and share some of your concerns, though I do think we have the personnel now available to be effective at home too. I'd give it a couple more games with the 4-3-3 sort of set up and see what transpires. Stevenage will provide a stern test but I'd not be dismissing our ability to impress at home just yet. I think the change of formation is a bit of a watershed, my only frustration being that we persisted with less effective line ups for too long. Frankly, if we were to find our scoring boots at home, we could probably still win this league and there's plenty of time yet.

I reckon we are getting a stronger squad in terms of being able to mix it up a bit in how we line up and play

7 minutes ago, Archied said:

I reckon we are getting a stronger squad in terms of being able to mix it up a bit in how we line up and play

Agreed. Ebou brings plenty, though we'll have to wait a little longer to see what Blackett-Taylor adds. Physically, we can definitely mix it a bit these days, though I'd hope we still retain a focus on footballing assets as much as physical attributes.

Birdy has been inspired too and has rolled up his sleeves too now, riding 'tackles' like a good'un, though in fairness to him, his life was not easy trying to compete with 3 to 5 lumps running through midfield and only Conor to assist. Took a little while, but we do seem to be at least getting there, hopefully in time too.

So yeah, I'm still confident, for all that's worth! Not a lot on here, I suspect 😂

COYR

30 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

The point I was making was that under Liam he wanted to play football for the sake of it and at all costs. 

I'm all for pragmatism and last night was the epitome of that. I really enjoyed the fact we defended resolutely and then looked to get in behind their fullbacks.

Away from home we are perfectly set up as the onus is always on the home team to press. 

Home is where the problem is. Maybe win all the away matches and draw all the hone matches???

Maybe Rosenoir could manage the home games and Warne away 

36 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

In danger of getting into Rosenior v Warne territory which I’ve no interest in, but us playing passing football with better players could or should be different to Exeter playing it with the players they can attract with their budget.

The way Warne plays (or more extreme versions) could probably elevate a side like Exeter to a higher position in the table but possibly foregoes their chance to put their home grown talent in the shop window as much, as seems to have been their model over the last few years. 

49 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Jesus, another Liam Rosenior thread. 

19 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Is job share an option in football management? Come to think of it, didn’t Liverpool have some weird set up with Roy Evans and Gerard Houllier in the 90s? 

They did indeed.  There’s also been Alan Curbishley and Steve Gritt at Charlton and Coventry won the cup with John Sillett and George Curtis as joint managers.  Even our own Roy McFarland any Colin Todd had a spell together at Bolton as joint managers.

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Jesus, another Liam Rosenior thread.

Regardless of what happens this season, there is no doubt in my mind that Rosenior had the potential to take us much further than Warne ever will. It was a colossal mistake to get rid of him, which is why many people will not let it go.

If Warne takes us into European football then I will absolutely return to this thread and admit I was wrong.

Just now, DB83 said:

Regardless of what happens this season, there is no doubt in my mind that Rosenior had the potential to take us much further than Warne ever will. It was a colossal mistake to get rid of him, which is why many people will not let it go.

If Warne takes us into European football then I will absolutely return to this thread and admit I was wrong.

We may be playing Wrexham next season, does that count?

6 minutes ago, DB83 said:

If Warne gets us to Championship mid-table I will eat a small slice of Humble Pie too.

10 hours ago, DB83 said:

If you think any manager you care to name is going to take us into European football anytime in the next 10 years I'll have a toke of whatever you've been sniffing.

I can't deny Warne is a superb away from home manager. I can knock his style of football all I want, his away form is excellent. I just wish he could have some more bottle at home and make it easier for ourselves when playing in front of 27-28k supporters. 

"Crossing for crossings sake is pointless.

I'll never forget when we played Reading a few weeks ago, and put in 26 crosses. NML made the most crosses during the match in the history of forever.

We were absolutely toothless upfront that night."

etc etc etc.