Tippy tappy

The away setup is spot on. The home team tries to make the plays and we hit them on the counter.

At home there's >26K fans wanting us to "play football", to take control, to dominate and thrash the opposition. The oppo does what we do away and we frequently struggle as do our oppo when we are the away team.

Let's imagine that PW sets up to utilise our away strategy on Saturday, at home to Stevenage. Stevenage do the same. I foresee shape and personnel changes after 10 minutes. It wouldn't make for an interesting game if there weren't quick changes. Richie Barker hinted at changes in personnel for the Stevenage game. That signals that we will, again, try to take the game to the oppo at home. The major difference this time being that we have Ebou in midfield and I don't think they'll be able to bully us the way they did at theirs.

Ultimately, our chances, IMO, depend entirely on the ref enforcing the Laws, ALL of the Laws. If not I can see their dark arts being our downfall. 

19 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

"Crossing for crossings sake is pointless.

I'll never forget when we played Reading a few weeks ago, and put in 26 crosses. NML made the most crosses during the match in the history of forever.

We were absolutely toothless upfront that night."

etc etc etc.

I remember Gordon Hill being interviewed when he played for us saying that his job was to cross the ball, not pick anyone out, it was the other players job to get on the end of his crosses - oh for the days of the precision crossing of Alan Hinton.

19 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

The point I was making was that under Liam he wanted to play football for the sake of it and at all costs. 

Exeter looked the same last night.

I'm all for pragmatism and last night was the epitome of that. I really enjoyed the fact we defended resolutely and then looked to get in behind their fullbacks.

Away from home we are perfectly set up as the onus is always on the home team to press. 

Home is where the problem is. Maybe win all the away matches and draw all the hone matches???

This is revisionism. At times we over played it but it was abysmal finishing which ultimately cost us under Rosenior. You stick this seasons Collins into that side rather than the Collins from the start of last season and we’d have probably been fourth or higher by the time Warne got the job.