Paul Warne

Day

43 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I will raise one point with @May Contain Nuts though, about our corners. Cardiff had some pretty big defenders, so we didn't always simply cross it into the box, we tried a couple of short corners. From one of those, Elder flashed a low cross-shot just wide of the far post. There was variety in our dead-ball kicks.

Perception is a personal thing, but I honestly don't think we're turning into Pulis' Stoke with its 4 central defenders and Rory Delap slingshot throw.

One thing both my lad and me said on Saturday was how good it was to see a variation on corners and free kicks round the box, so used to seeing the same routines but we had a great mixture of short and long corners and even a sharp free kick passed along the side of the penalty area to NML to change the delivery angle on a free kick outside the box.  I think the coaches are learning quickly about mixing things up and using the element of surprise.  Jacksons goal against Bristol was a throw in routine straight off the training ground I'm sure.  Might never work again now it's been done so we look for something else.  

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I will raise one point with @May Contain Nuts though, about our corners. Cardiff had some pretty big defenders, so we didn't always simply cross it into the box, we tried a couple of short corners. From one of those, Elder flashed a low cross-shot just wide of the far post. There was variety in our dead-ball kicks.

Perception is a personal thing, but I honestly don't think we're turning into Pulis' Stoke with its 4 central defenders and Rory Delap slingshot throw.

My view of Pulis' Stoke isn't that they had no method of crossing/scoring other than to hit it high into the box though. I simply don't think that would work at any level nevermind in the Prem.

As you say, perception is personal and I think people remember the Delap throws but that's not all they were, just that it was a big part of their success.

(I'd also edited the bit about turning into them as that wasn't actually reflective of what I meant, but too late for the quotes)

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Perhaps I’m a bit of an od bod but I can’t get partisan about it. I want to support our manager but never blindly, ever ! 

Warne has strengths and weaknesses. We’ve seen them over 2 seasons. Stubbornness over the wingbacks, persisting perhaps too long with Hourihan. Not convincing players to be braver despite it being a stated aim. On the plus side he built a group that played for each other and arrived at a system that won points in League one. Proved that he could be tactically flexible.

It really is a whole new game now. If he gets a single figure placing I’d say he has exceeded expectations. If we survive by the skin of our teeth then I’d say he’s under preformed. 

Then we move to style. I think some of the criticisms last season were fair, in some matches. Just waiting for NML to produce a magic moment and relying on set pieces is a bit dour and pragmatic for those like me who love the dynamism of the game. Yet it wasn’t like that every game. There were brighter moments. 

Now though, I think (hope) we might be seeing something different. There is to me a genuine desire to play and encourage the glorious flicks and sprints and 1-2’s that make the game better than its instruction manual. How much is PW and how much individual players is always a debate but there is a consistency with PW. His message rarely wavers. 

It’s going to really interesting to see where we go. We’ve got some gaps and vulnerabilities but there’s a team here with the ability to win matches AND entertain and PW has his name on it. 

I haven’t felt as engaged since my first ST when Mac 1 arrived. An odd one in that we aren’t really promotion candidates given where we’ve come from in 2 years but that’s how I feel

19 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I think some of the signings are excellent and obviously our home form is impressive, there are 3-4 really nice bits of play per match and I just don't see us conceding...

...but I still don't really feel any connection to the team or manager, don't feel any sort of elation when we score (it barely registers even as enjoyment), find the games boring to watch beyond the first 45 minutes/hour, get frustrated with the ineptitude of our opposition, find the declarations of 'love' for Warne utterly cringe (he's just a football manager, you mad b****** 😉) and find the idea that physically bullying the opposition and playing the percentages on set pieces is some sort of revolutionary tactic (hyperbole intended) bizarre when that's basically just Tony Pulis' Stoke.

I've browsed the forums & hashtags of Boro, Bristol, & Cardiff, and they're all similarly negative about the way there team played after we'd wiped the floor with them.  Which is understandable because they've lost, and fans will always call out something when it doesn't work, and achieve the desired outcome.  But to call out styles of play, when it is getting the result is a little odd in my opinion.

We don't play anything like Pulis' Stoke.  Yeah Cashin is going long into the channels a little more, but when you have a left peg like his, why wouldn't you use it to your advantage.  What kind of football would you like to see us play?  Cardiff played some lovely stuff up our final 3rd, then didn't do a single thing with it.  They only threatened when they started lumping it into the box, which thanks to Warne switching to a back 3, played right into our hands.  Same goes for the other 2 home game.  It's not gymnastics, you don't get points for style.

I think the fact you don't feel a connection with this bunch of honest pros, and hungry youngsters says more about you than it does the team.  Would you prefer going back to the good ol' days of Smiler Butterfield or Blackman stealing an inflated wage for very little output?  Or supposed senior pros letting youngsters get smashed out their face of Jeagars and trying to drive home?

20 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I think some of the signings are excellent and obviously our home form is impressive, there are 3-4 really nice bits of play per match and I just don't see us conceding...

...but I still don't really feel any connection to the team or manager, don't feel any sort of elation when we score (it barely registers even as enjoyment), find the games boring to watch beyond the first 45 minutes/hour, get frustrated with the ineptitude of our opposition, find the declarations of 'love' for Warne utterly cringe (he's just a football manager, you mad b****** 😉) and find the idea that physically bullying the opposition and playing the percentages on set pieces is some sort of revolutionary tactic (hyperbole intended) bizarre when that's basically just Tony Pulis' Stoke.

Each to their own. I drove from Northumberland to watch the game, thoroughly enjoyed watching the team ( my team) fight for 97 minutes to win the match, “sprung” off my seat when Kenzo scored and felt total connection with both management and players. 

I don’t dispute that we’re both Rams fans. I have been for nearly 60 years. I fully appreciate what David Clowes has done to keep the Club alive. I think Paul Warne has done an excellent job in very difficult circumstances. 

Happily, I have realistic expectations so am unlikely to be disappointed whatever happens next. I might even be pleasantly surprised as some of our new players appear to be a great improvement on last season. 

I think it’s a shame that you can’t enjoy what’s happening. That’s your right. I might not quite understand it but I’m sure neither of us cares how the other one feels😎

Jacob is going to get a lot of clean sheets this season

We have a back 3/4/5 that is as good as any in this League.

Adams is an absolute beast.

Ozoh looked dodgy in his first game but has got better with each subsequent game. Here's hoping he's not out too long with his hammy.

Kenzo. Has adapted quickly to the hustle and bustle of SBC football. How anyone can't be purring at his passes is a mystery.

Yates is an excellent link up man. Just needs to add some goals.

Jackson does a great job attacking and defending, creates, scores.

NML is NML.

We're doing all this on a league game average of 38% possession. We're setting up to be a counter team. Even at home. Not my preferred style but it seems to be working. We're seeing some great defending and we're also seeing good attacking play with lots of quick interchange passing. I'm enjoying it. I even enjoyed the 2 defeats. Deserved a draw at Watford and lost at Blackburn thanks to leaving ourselves open at the back as we had them pressed back into their defensive third and got sucker punched on the break, 3 times in 15 minutes. IMO, this squad will continue to evolve and give us lots to enjoy, even if results don't always go our way.

2 defeats out of two away so far. Next 2 away are at Sheff U and S'land. 1 point, at best, is my expectation. We've played #3 and #5 away. The next 2 are #6 and #2. Away games should get a little easier after the S'land game. 

I have been critical and thought we underperformed in L1 but when the job was done, Warne has earned his chance in the Championship and so far it is going beyond expectations.

Even the latest player signings have so far delivered and the football being played is definitely sharper now.

The only question mark that remains, in my opinion, is how we can integrate younger players with an eye on the team of the future. There doesn't seem to be a clear path into the team yet, but hopefully it will develop in the coming months.

12 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Jacob is going to get a lot of clean sheets this season

We have a back 3/4/5 that is as good as any in this League.

Adams is an absolute beast.

Ozoh looked dodgy in his first game but has got better with each subsequent game. Here's hoping he's not out too long with his hammy.

Kenzo. Has adapted quickly to the hustle and bustle of SBC football. How anyone can't be purring at his passes is a mystery.

Yates is an excellent link up man. Just needs to add some goals.

Jackson does a great job attacking and defending, creates, scores.

NML is NML.

We're doing all this on a league game average of 38% possession. We're setting up to be a counter team. Even at home. Not my preferred style but it seems to be working. We're seeing some great defending and we're also seeing good attacking play with lots of quick interchange passing. I'm enjoying it. I even enjoyed the 2 defeats. Deserved a draw at Watford and lost at Blackburn thanks to leaving ourselves open at the back as we had them pressed back into their defensive third and got sucker punched on the break, 3 times in 15 minutes. IMO, this squad will continue to evolve and give us lots to enjoy, even if results don't always go our way.

2 defeats out of two away so far. Next 2 away are at Sheff U and S'land. 1 point, at best, is my expectation. We've played #3 and #5 away. The next 2 are #6 and #2. Away games should get a little easier after the S'land game. 

Really liked that post 🍻👍🏼. Sums it up for me and as newbies in this league it is what is is or we are what we are. I honestly think we are carving an identity. Tidy, hungry, some skill and a whole lot of team play. I’d like to hope for 2 points out of the next 6 . 1 would be a bit of a downer but I’d put up with it and 3 would be a good result. 

Expecting nothing at Sunderland but there’s more than a chance we can do a smash and grab on Saturday. 1 game at a time though !

COYR

23 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I've browsed the forums & hashtags of Boro, Bristol, & Cardiff, and they're all similarly negative about the way there team played after we'd wiped the floor with them.  Which is understandable because they've lost, and fans will always call out something when it doesn't work, and achieve the desired outcome.  But to call out styles of play, when it is getting the result is a little odd in my opinion.

We don't play anything like Pulis' Stoke.  Yeah Cashin is going long into the channels a little more, but when you have a left peg like his, why wouldn't you use it to your advantage.  What kind of football would you like to see us play?  Cardiff played some lovely stuff up our final 3rd, then didn't do a single thing with it.  They only threatened when they started lumping it into the box, which thanks to Warne switching to a back 3, played right into our hands.  Same goes for the other 2 home game.  It's not gymnastics, you don't get points for style.

I think the fact you don't feel a connection with this bunch of honest pros, and hungry youngsters says more about you than it does the team.  Would you prefer going back to the good ol' days of Smiler Butterfield or Blackman stealing an inflated wage for very little output?  Or supposed senior pros letting youngsters get smashed out their face of Jeagars and trying to drive home?

I guess this is where the fault line is between fans like yourself who are pragmatic about the style of football we play and fans like me and the poster you are responding to. Personally I hate the way we play; I think it’s industrial and boring. Football is meant to be a form of entertainment but for someone like me who has a 230 round trip each home game it’s really hard to motivate myself to make the effort this season, even though I’m a ST holder. I don’t feel any connection with any professional footballer regardless of whether they’re ‘honest pros’ or not; they live a life totally divorced from the rest of us so that’s not a thing for me, never has been. I’m genuinely pleased that we are picking up results but the style in which we’re doing it is not for me. 

Edited by Jayram

45 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I guess this is where the fault line is between fans like yourself who are pragmatic about the style of football we play and fans like me and the poster you are responding to. Personally I hate the way we play; I think it’s industrial and boring. Football is meant to be a form of entertainment but for someone like me who has a 230 round trip each home game it’s really hard to motivate myself to make the effort this season, even though I’m a ST holder. I don’t feel any connection with any professional footballer regardless of whether they’re ‘honest pros’ or not; they live a life totally divorced from the rest of us so that’s not a thing for me, never has been. I’m genuinely pleased that we are picking up results but the style in which we’re doing it is not for me. 

Football is a sport and is about getting results for me.

If I want to be guaranteed entertainment,  I'll go and watch a band I like or pop to the pictures.

If I felt like you,  I'd seriously find something else to do with my time and money and save myself from the misery.

49 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Honestly suggest you stay at home. Life is too precious to waste on something you don’t enjoy. If you are not enjoying the improved performances both in style and effort this year, I not sure you ever will be.

10 hours ago, jono said:

Really liked that post 🍻👍🏼. Sums it up for me and as newbies in this league it is what is is or we are what we are. I honestly think we are carving an identity. Tidy, hungry, some skill and a whole lot of team play. I’d like to hope for 2 points out of the next 6 . 1 would be a bit of a downer but I’d put up with it and 3 would be a good result. 

Expecting nothing at Sunderland but there’s more than a chance we can do a smash and grab on Saturday. 1 game at a time though !

COYR

1 - 0 smash and grab 

Burgess Meredith Meme GIF

21 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Football is a sport and is about getting results for me.

If I want to be guaranteed entertainment,  I'll go and watch a band I like or pop to the pictures.

If I felt like you,  I'd seriously find something else to do with my time and money and save myself from the misery.

On the down side kiddo that is a pretty ridiculous response. Why wouldn’t anyone want to see as much of the beauty of football from their team as possible. 

On the upside, we are starting to show more style in many different ways. Kenzo has a vision and passing ability that I have not seen from a Derby player for a long time. We have a centre forward who plays the position. Those two alone help other players around them. With the exception of the Boro game I am enjoying the football. 

The manager and his staff have really upped their game it seems. 

Football is more than popping the ball into the net, it is how you get there. 

4 minutes ago, bcnram said:

On the down side kiddo that is a pretty ridiculous response. Why wouldn’t anyone want to see as much of the beauty of football from their team as possible. 

On the upside, we are starting to show more style in many different ways. Kenzo has a vision and passing ability that I have not seen from a Derby player for a long time. We have a centre forward who plays the position. Those two alone help other players around them. With the exception of the Boro game I am enjoying the football. 

Sort of agree but winning is everything to me. If you don’t pop the ball into the net, you don’t win. What’s the point of playing attractive, entertaining football if you’re always losing

12 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Sort of agree but winning is everything to me. If you don’t pop the ball into the net, you don’t win. What’s the point of playing attractive, entertaining football if you’re always losing

None but playing well leads to good results more often than not

2 hours ago, Jayram said:

Bit surprised at your post Jayram, i would of totally agreed with you last year, (had to check this wasnt last years post) i thought the football was shocking and was debating renewing my ST. But luckily i have and have thoroughly enjoyed the first 3 home games. My expectations have lowered considerably and will be happy if were not floating with relegation all year. When you consider the amount of new players we brought in this summer i think they have gelled remarkably well. Well done to Warne and the scouting team. Yes Middlesbro at home we rode our luck, but defended as a team very well. On to Bristol, the first 20 mins we looked decidedly second best, then when our confidence grew i thought we played really well and it could of ended up 5 or 6 nil. Cardiff on Saturday i was expecting an hangover from the Bristol game, yes we wernt great but always looked dangerous on the break and deserved the win. 

For me we have performed so far, a lot better than i expected, Kenzo is a breath of fresh air and the others around him have all looked good. Onwards and upwards for me. Would like to know what your expectations were/are for this season?

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

I'm not saying that I don't like to see Derby playing good skillful football,  but that is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned. 

I watched man city last night play out a 0-0 draw and I bet you that most city fans would have been happier with a scrappy 1-0 win than what they got last night. 

5 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I'm not saying that I don't like to see Derby playing good skillful football,  but that is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned. 

I watched man city last night play out a 0-0 draw and I bet you that most city fans would have been happier with a scrappy 1-0 win than what they got last night. 

That is what I find weird. Of course we love to see a win and sometimes it can be via a scrappy performance; but that is football. 
Give me an entertaining performance any day otherwise you may just as well sit through the highlights to watch a goal go in. 
I am happy with what I see this season  

Ah, the eternal argument between style and results.

I think ultimately for me, results are the bread and butter, then the style is the filling. People can argue about whether ham and cheese is best, or egg mayo, but that's a matter of taste.

I think you have to take into account where we are in our 'lifecycle' right now. We can't really afford to be picky as it is. It's all well and good wanting the Wiltshire cured ham with multi-seeded bread from the top tier, but we don't have the cash, have to be pragmatic and settle for the normal wafer thin ham.

Damn. I've made myself hungry now. Did I take the sandwich analogy too far?