Paul Warne

Day

On 12/06/2024 at 20:25, Ram-Alf said:

Go on guess how Lampard got the job...give in...then I'll tell ya, Mel Morris was a mate of Uncle Harry...you know the gob s**** cockney spiv...who happens to be Lampard's Nephew.

Almost worked aint good enough...the wages paid out hung heavy on Morris, And don't get me started on the Wembley starting 11 😡

Not disagreeing with any of that, aside from Harry being more than just friends with Mel. Didn't he have some kind of director of football/advisory job with us?

I too remember sitting in my seat at Wembley, trying to work out what the eff Lampard had done. I couldn't make a formation out of the 11 he picked. Turns out neither could he.

My point was at the time, I don't think he was a bad appointment. We'd tried managers with decent CVs at this level, and they'd failed too. So going with something new gets no complaints from me.

33 minutes ago, Walkley Ram said:

Not disagreeing with any of that, aside from Harry being more than just friends with Mel. Didn't he have some kind of director of football/advisory job with us?

I too remember sitting in my seat at Wembley, trying to work out what the eff Lampard had done. I couldn't make a formation out of the 11 he picked. Turns out neither could he.

My point was at the time, I don't think he was a bad appointment. We'd tried managers with decent CVs at this level, and they'd failed too. So going with something new gets no complaints from me.

Lampard jnr came as a rookie, An unknown quantity, Initially he done well then when Mason Mount was out for 8+games we went through a bad patch.

Yes Uncle Harry was some sort of adviser on the football front I guess.

Getting to Wembley after a great result at Leeds then seeing the starting 11 I was amazed...but others think otherwise, Some say injured, Others say a fall out 🤷‍♂️

My gripe with Junior was how he fiddled while Derby burned, Swanning around the Med with wives and mates mulling over a move to Chelsea, We moved for Cocu only for him to introduce himself to the players in the USA while on a training/playing tour.

Chelsea twice and Everton he didn't do a great deal, Now hearing he could be in line for the Burnley job 🤷‍♂️

14 hours ago, Steadybreeze said:

Missing Warne ball after watching that England crap.

If I'm right, you'll be missing Warneball completely.

I don't think he will be utilising his L1 tactics in the SBC. He did in his 2 full season relegations with Rotherham. Didn't in his 3rd and had them 8th, provisionally 5th.

My guess is that we'll see Liverpool-like tactics with a high press and playing "football" rather than Warneball. However, I have been wrong before... 😉

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

If I'm right, you'll be missing Warneball completely.

I don't think he will be utilising his L1 tactics in the SBC. He did in his 2 full season relegations with Rotherham. Didn't in his 3rd and had them 8th, provisionally 5th.

My guess is that we'll see Liverpool-like tactics with a high press and playing "football" rather than Warneball. However, I have been wrong before... 😉

What I like about Warne is I get the impression he thinks his job is results, not to be some purist Arsene Wenger type who first things first wants good football and hopes everything fits to the philosophy.  

If he thinks Warneball will work he will use it; if he thinks being Chelsea c2005 and so on and so forth.

On 17/06/2024 at 21:34, CornwallRam said:

I wonder how people will feel when we're top at Christmas and Paul Warne leaves to take the Everton job?

If we are top at Xmas , I would put him forward for the England job . The circumstances would be similar to our situation . He has to bring players in at short notice , invent a style that suits the players and gets results . First job on the “to do” list is to put a midfield engine room together that can produce goals and stop goals at Championship level . 

23 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

What I like about Warne is I get the impression he thinks his job is results, not to be some purist Arsene Wenger type who first things first wants good football and hopes everything fits to the philosophy.  

If he thinks Warneball will work he will use it; if he thinks being Chelsea c2005 and so on and so forth.

Your right who wants a purist like Wenger and his 3x Premier League titles 1x French League titles 7 x FA Cup winners  1x French Cup winners 7x English Super Cup winners 1x Japanese Cup winners whilst playing scintillating football and rising hundreds of millions for his club when we have Warne. 

31 minutes ago, superfit said:

Your right who wants a purist like Wenger and his 3x Premier League titles 1x French League titles 7 x FA Cup winners  1x French Cup winners 7x English Super Cup winners 1x Japanese Cup winners whilst playing scintillating football and rising hundreds of millions for his club when we have Warne. 

Everyone; of course - at the peak of his powers he found the magic sauce that made things work: the "professor of football".  Wonderful football, great ethos.  Superb.

Then those tactics became stale and defendable; the players he had were not as good as the players he used to have.  His approach was - stick with the scintillating football, rather than "win at all costs".   Arsenal were probably the most entertaining side in the EPL until he left, but they could never again meaningfully challenge for the title under him for nearly twenty years.  Chelsea were tedious, but were always there or there abouts.

I don't think Warne cares about style but for winning.  I think it is whatever gets over the line.  I want the team to win and would rather a turgid drawn out game with a last minute winner than a game that is 5-5 and then we concede in the last minute. 

47 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

Everyone; of course - at the peak of his powers he found the magic sauce that made things work: the "professor of football".  Wonderful football, great ethos.  Superb.

Then those tactics became stale and defendable; the players he had were not as good as the players he used to have.  His approach was - stick with the scintillating football, rather than "win at all costs".   Arsenal were probably the most entertaining side in the EPL until he left, but they could never again meaningfully challenge for the title under him for nearly twenty years.  Chelsea were tedious, but were always there or there abouts.

I don't think Warne cares about style but for winning.  I think it is whatever gets over the line.  I want the team to win and would rather a turgid drawn out game with a last minute winner than a game that is 5-5 and then we concede in the last minute. 

Some fair points well made. 

Thing is there were a number of factors that led to Wenger’s decline. That period saw the emergence of Barcelona, smaller diminutive players that passed teams of the park and dominated football and Wenger unsuccessfully went down that road, as opposed to the more robust style of Mourinho’s Chelsea. 

However there were mitigating circumstances such as the move to the Emirates that meant that Wenger couldn’t spend the money his counterparts were spending on players. Obviously Wenger got things wrong too but his reputation as a winner above everything else is there, truly one of the games great mangers. 

So a question if Warne is such a winner why has he failed in both full seasons at championship level? 

Don’t say money because you’ve dismissed that argument with reference to Wenger’s demise stating it was his desire to play entertaining football at all costs as opposed to a pragmatic winning mentality. 

11 minutes ago, superfit said:

Some fair points well made. 

Thing is there were a number of factors that led to Wenger’s decline. That period saw the emergence of Barcelona, smaller diminutive players that passed teams of the park and dominated football and Wenger unsuccessfully went down that road, as opposed to the more robust style of Mourinho’s Chelsea. 

However there were mitigating circumstances such as the move to the Emirates that meant that Wenger couldn’t spend the money his counterparts were spending on players. Obviously Wenger got things wrong too but his reputation as a winner above everything else is there, truly one of the games great mangers. 

So a question if Warne is such a winner why has he failed in both full seasons at championship level? 

Don’t say money because you’ve dismissed that argument with reference to Wenger’s demise stating it was his desire to play entertaining football at all costs as opposed to a pragmatic winning mentality. 

The team clearly comes into it; but I grant you relatively lowly sides can become great under truly world class managers - see DCFC and NFFC under Brian Clough; alongside Aberdeen under Alex Ferguson. 

What I would say is that time plays a big part.  Rotherham were fully set up for winning promotion from Lg1, but had no time to adapt (as the players they had were all they could hope to have).  I saw on here that the same players, more or less, came up with him.  The final (part) season he was there they were high up the league.  Without him they then crumbled the next year.  My point to you is: had Warne learnt his lesson in that final season with them on what makes a good Championship, as opposed to Lg 1, team?  What part of that experience will he take into this season to benefit us?

Being adaptable often involves failure and lots of it.  Our team pre October was awful and losing; afterwards was not much better but seemed to win every week.    

I am not saying Warne is a winner.  But he cares about winning more than looking good - and is open about that.  I think that is a step in a good direction.

9 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

The team clearly comes into it; but I grant you relatively lowly sides can become great under truly world class managers - see DCFC and NFFC under Brian Clough; alongside Aberdeen under Alex Ferguson. 

What I would say is that time plays a big part.  Rotherham were fully set up for winning promotion from Lg1, but had no time to adapt (as the players they had were all they could hope to have).  I saw on here that the same players, more or less, came up with him.  The final (part) season he was there they were high up the league.  Without him they then crumbled the next year.  My point to you is: had Warne learnt his lesson in that final season with them on what makes a good Championship, as opposed to Lg 1, team?  What part of that experience will he take into this season to benefit us?

Being adaptable often involves failure and lots of it.  Our team pre October was awful and losing; afterwards was not much better but seemed to win every week.    

I am not saying Warne is a winner.  But he cares about winning more than looking good - and is open about that.  I think that is a step in a good direction.

Not wanting to get dragged into a Warne good Warne bad argument I will simply respond to your final point that ‘Warne cares more about winning more than looking good’ I would say every manager out of the 92 league clubs cares about winning more than looking good. Playing football that is easy on the eye is borne out of a manager’s philosophy on how to win games of football, not the other way round. 

Up the Rams. 

57 minutes ago, superfit said:

Not wanting to get dragged into a Warne good Warne bad argument I will simply respond to your final point that ‘Warne cares more about winning more than looking good’ I would say every manager out of the 92 league clubs cares about winning more than looking good. Playing football that is easy on the eye is borne out of a manager’s philosophy on how to win games of football, not the other way round. 

Up the Rams. 

Thanks.  I have vacillated wildly in my view of him but I do think he has some good characteristics and values.   I think he is about the best we are going to get, notwithstanding there are plainly better, or more established, managers out there (just not in our price bracket).

8 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

Thanks.  I have vacillated wildly in my view of him but I do think he has some good characteristics and values.   I think he is about the best we are going to get, notwithstanding there are plainly better, or more established, managers out there (just not in our price bracket).

I think Clowes chose Warne because of that last season, him being to Clowes/Pearce the best known manager we were going to get. But interestingly with the new appointments to the Clubs backroom staff it shows that we will 'experiment' now we are in the Championship.

5 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Am I going mad or is that Warne on the LMA Diploma in Football Management?

I saw Hourihane had gone on it but surely Warne has already done this?

IMG_9119.thumb.png.3146bf9edc3972c2a3f64e1fbcdedd2f.png

Maybe he's there as a mentor? Also, the fella opposite passes a resemblance to Steve cotterill

18 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Maybe he's there as a mentor? Also, the fella opposite passes a resemblance to Steve cotterill

Was going to say, maybe I’m reading too much into the table set up, but looks like everyone around the table is sort of squared at him with him talking.