Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

57 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

If we could get a deal done for Adam Phillips it would be perfect. Plays well in a midfield 2 or 3 as an 8 or 10. He’s 26 so coming into his prime years and his style of play could see him still playing his best football into his mid 30s. 
I suggested him previously this window but after watching him again last night he’s undeniable quality. Has a great delivery and is great at finding pockets of space in and around the box and not to mention his knack for goals. 

In his last 3 seasons with Barnsley and Morecambe in league one, he’s gotten 26 goals and 23 assists in 120 games. Thats averaging nearly 19 goal contributions a season. If we could get a deal done for him it wouldn’t surprise me if he took to the championship seamlessly.

Said to my mates in the ground last night that Phillips would be ideal for us, think he would command a big fee though

3 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Said to my mates in the ground last night that Phillips would be ideal for us, think he would command a big fee though

I’d imagine around 1.5-2 million. I seen Preston were heavily interested early on in the window but got Thordarsson (who we also looked at) instead as he was only 700-800k reportedly. 

8 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

He was someone I mentioned early doors on the transfer thread.  I'm quite surprised Styles is back there as well. Been blooded in the championship so knows what it's about now and looks better than League 1.  I also like Jordan Houghton at Plymouth.  Good at retaining the ball and a decent range of passing.  A year left on his contract.

I’m glad we’ve sorted our midfield and striker concerns with Philips and Coburn. Hopefully the acquisitions team have loaded the cheque book into the van and are on their way.

Our usual fee applies.

Now, who can suggest a quick young CB?

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m glad we’ve sorted our midfield and striker concerns with Philips and Coburn. Hopefully the acquisitions team have loaded the cheque book into the van and are on their way.

Our usual fee applies.

Now, who can suggest a quick young CB?

Quick CBs are like rocking horse s***, especially the ones we can afford. You only have to be a half-decent defender with pace and you’re worth £20m in this day and age. 

Take a chance on a loan player, but ultimately understand that he may be completely overwhelmed with poor positioning.

Just now, Ambitious said:

Quick CBs are like rocking horse s***, especially the ones we can afford. You only have to be a half-decent defender with pace and you’re worth £20m in this day and age. 

Take a chance on a loan player, but ultimately understand that he may be completely overwhelmed with poor positioning.

What is that Rhys Williams like that's been made available by Liverpool?

I know he's had an unsuccessful time in recent years but didn't he perform reasonably well in the Premier league a few years ago when Liverpool had an injury crisis in defence? 

28 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

19 year old Ashley Phillips from Spurs a shout? Signed from Blackburn at a young age as being a sort of “next big thing”, spent the second half of last season on loan at Plymouth in the championship playing in 18 games. No idea what he’s actually like, but could be the right profile for a younger prem loan looking for another champ loan to build his experience. 

I know it’s a simplistic view but if we can consider forking out 1m+ for a gk then we need to be looking at spending the same and more to get a proven and good striker.

Whilst I will judge things at the start of the season it does worry me that we haven’t already tied up that striker seeing as it’s been seen as our number one priority since most of last season. I thought we would have tied someone up early…. And I mean on a permanent not a loan.

If we don’t get goals we will struggle it’s as simple as that.

27 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

I know it’s a simplistic view but if we can consider forking out 1m+ for a gk then we need to be looking at spending the same and more to get a proven and good striker.

Whilst I will judge things at the start of the season it does worry me that we haven’t already tied up that striker seeing as it’s been seen as our number one priority since most of last season. I thought we would have tied someone up early…. And I mean on a permanent not a loan.

Has it been the number one priority since most of last season?

We scored goals last year, have extended Collins’ contract and signed Yates, it’s not like we’ve done nothing up front.

I’d argue not having a first choice goalkeeper and needing to replace the several bodies in midfield was a more pressing priority. Yes we don’t have a “marquee” striker (yet), but we have some options, the GK and Midfield departments needed sorting. All the noise from Warne’s most recent post match interviews suggest we’re pursuing a loan for a striker that will improve the options. 

32 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

I've said this before but honestly what striker do you expect us to sign for between £1-£2 million.

When you consider Osula is going for £10 million, Fulham want £6 million got Jay Stansfield.

The striker will more than likely be a loan or we might get lucky with one from abroad. But that will come with risks.

Curtis Davies just retired, may not be a transfer suggestion but a coaching one. I really hope we get him involved in the 21’s or 18’s, having someone like him here would be great. He just gets it and loves the rams. Obviously that’s only if he wants to be a coach at some stage.

Edited by Eoghan1884

3 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Curtis Davies just retired, may not be a transfer suggestion but a coaching one. I really hope we get him involved in the 21’s or 18’s, having someone like him here would be great. He just gets it and loves the rams. Obviously that’s only if he wants to be a coach at some stage.

Pretty sure he did some badges while he was still playing with us, unless I imagined it. Agree though, born to coach, but he's also a very intelligent and articulate guy and won't be short of media opportunities either.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

19 year old Ashley Phillips from Spurs a shout? Signed from Blackburn at a young age as being a sort of “next big thing”, spent the second half of last season on loan at Plymouth in the championship playing in 18 games. No idea what he’s actually like, but could be the right profile for a younger prem loan looking for another champ loan to build his experience. 

We shouldn’t ever consider signing players from Tottenham as they have always been rather poor and we might as well chuck Arsenal into that pot as well unless it’s Charlie George and we are top of the league and in the European cup.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Has it been the number one priority since most of last season?

We scored goals last year, have extended Collins’ contract and signed Yates, it’s not like we’ve done nothing up front.

I’d argue not having a first choice goalkeeper and needing to replace the several bodies in midfield was a more pressing priority. Yes we don’t have a “marquee” striker (yet), but we have some options, the GK and Midfield departments needed sorting. All the noise from Warne’s most recent post match interviews suggest we’re pursuing a loan for a striker that will improve the options. 

Yes…. It was talked about endlessly….

It’s a priority and has been for a while… well, that’s how i have read it… and yes, we scored goals last year but we were far off being top scorers… and that was L1…. The new additions I see as adequate support players but not the quality striker we really need.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

We shouldn’t ever consider signing players from Tottenham as they have always been rather poor and we might as well chuck Arsenal into that pot as well unless it’s Charlie George and we are top of the league and in the European cup.

Arturo lupoli is hurt by this.