Ring Sting

Day

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I was never too bothered, but got one (Doorbell/Cam) as a present.

I rarely use the contact/intercom thing to be fair, but it's sometimes handy to see who's there (*When we're out).

I've since added a camera (only) to the rear garden, which covers 90% of the garden, plus the all important access to the shed.**
I've turned off the phone notifications for the latter, as it goes off when sheets/towels/large pants are a-blowing in the breeze!  

*I have never used the mobile app thingy to check and/or answer, when we're in.  I just walk through "The Great Hall to the door, and open it... a bit like a human being!... Unlike a friend who will literally sit on his sofa and talk to the caller via the doorcam!  Idle Bugger!

**There is absolutely no need to keep a permanent eye on my shed, of course, as there is absolutely nothing of value in there.  But it's such a lovely looking shed.  Etc... 
full

I once considered getting a second shed and made the mistake of telling my friends.

2 hours ago, David said:

£24.99 to £34.99 in 2022

£34.99 to £49.99 in 2024

Who owns Ring? Of course, Amazon.

IMG_1849.png

I think your cunning linguistics used in your thread title deserved so much more love 😂

On thread, it definitely is a sting though. You know their overhead isn't getting anywhere near that much dearer so it's basically a 'we want more money or we brick your device' type piece of marketing. I hadn't even realised it is a subscription service, as I thought it's just an IP camera attached to a doorbell. What service do they provide?

2 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I think your cunning linguistics used in your thread title deserved so much more love 😂

On thread, it definitely is a sting though. You know their overhead isn't getting anywhere near that much dearer so it's basically a 'we want more money or we brick your device' type piece of marketing. I hadn't even realised it is a subscription service, as I thought it's just an IP camera attached to a doorbell. What service do they provide?

You can use the doorbell without a subscription but it’s a live view only, where as the subscription will record snapshots and any activity through the day where you can go back and look at.

So basically a CCTV camera that can only be looked at in real time.

14 minutes ago, David said:

You can use the doorbell without a subscription but it’s a live view only, where as the subscription will record snapshots and any activity through the day where you can go back and look at.

So basically a CCTV camera that can only be looked at in real time.

Obviously folk start off paying because it was reasonably priced and convenient, but I guess those who understandably baulk at the increases could provision their own recording device to maintain the recordings without using the 'service', though there might be something in the Ring T & Cs though. Either way, I agree it's too steep a charge and will irritate existing users and put off potential new ones. You can build the functionality with OEM tech for a one off cost of about £35 or use existing home tech to mimic it. 

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-save-video-ring-doorbell-free/

1 hour ago, Alph said:

I've never ever thought I needed a Ring doorbell. For me it solves a problem that doesn't exist. 

I dunno. In my youth in London I've lived in some seriously rough old spots. If I'd been an elderly or vulnerable person, then I might have thought the security aspects were comforting, but I agree, it's not something I feel I need personally and if I did, I'd probably build it having read this thread.

I guess the point is that it is a service plenty do value, but maybe not as much as Amazon do. I'd love to see the context for the hikes. Tech and rack space pricing has increased, but at nowhere near the rate the increases suggest. I'd be pretty miffed to be fair. I was actually going to suggest to my dad that he got one, but I won't bother now.

32 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Your pants are as big as sheets?. Sounds like a brag to me.

Where TF did I mention about them being mine?

There is another arse in the house, yer know!

I've a good mind to ignore your offensive comment, and turn the other cheek

... so to speak!  

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

We have one too.

It's a right nasty piece of work and keeps attacking the visiting birds in the summer.

We call it Laurence. 

Completely off topic, but used to see a fox in our back garden occasionally in the middle of the day (last house).

One day a magpie was mobbing it and the fox jumped about six foot in the air, grabbed and killed the bugger.

Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

Maybe I should have had a 'Ring' on the back door?