Ring Sting

Day

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Anyone who ever considered subscribing to a doorbell in the first place deserves everything that they get. Sorry but!

Think of it more as a security subscription than just a doorbell. 

Anyone trying door handles, causing damage, attempted robbery, anything it’s all there on camera with the subscription allowing you to look back.

Few months ago we had a resident from down the road that ask us for footage from a specific time as a car hit his without leaving any details. Heard the bang but by time he got to the window the car had gone.

We got the colour, make and model for him, reg plate obscured but gave him the footage and maybe he got more from down the road piecing it all together. 

It was a relatively low price to pay at £25 a year.

Not only that but Ring do indoor cameras, we have one in their bedroom which has solved many a mystery of who ripped up the book, who hit who first complete with audio.

The subscription covers that as well.

IMG_1868.png

1 hour ago, David said:

Anyone trying door handles, causing damage, attempted robbery, anything it’s all there on camera with the subscription allowing you to look back.

Few months ago we had a resident from down the road that ask us for footage from a specific time as a car hit his without leaving any details. Heard the bang but by time he got to the window the car had gone.

We got the colour, make and model for him, reg plate obscured but gave him the footage and maybe he got more from down the road piecing it all together. 

Not only that but Ring do indoor cameras, we have one in their bedroom which has solved many a mystery of who ripped up the book, who hit who first complete with audio.

IMG_1868.png

You might want to switch the bedroom ones off as they towards their teenage years 😉

2 hours ago, David said:

We've got the ring doorbell and half a dozen of the external cameras as well dotted around our property - we just pay the £8/month which I thought was a pretty decent deal for the amount of coverage we get. 

We went for the solar powered cameras (mainly because I'm allergic to heights and don't want to be up and down ladders every 3 months changing batteries!) and I've been very impressed.  Despite the fact that some of the solar panels aren't in the best locations - facing away from the sun and in the shade most of the day, the lowest I have seen their charge rate go is 96%.  Only 2 of the 6 are currently below 100% (99%) which isn't bad considering we're still only in February and I haven't seen any sun for days!

Picture quality is good and any footage captured is stored for approx 6 months iirc and the dogs don't generally trigger the motion capture.  If you can afford the cost (and I can appreciate the 100% rise in a couple of years is not something you signed up for) I'd recommend them as a good home security option. 

13 minutes ago, maxjam said:

We've got the ring doorbell and half a dozen of the external cameras as well dotted around our property - we just pay the £8/month which I thought was a pretty decent deal for the amount of coverage we get. 

We went for the solar powered cameras (mainly because I'm allergic to heights and don't want to be up and down ladders every 3 months changing batteries!) and I've been very impressed.  Despite the fact that some of the solar panels aren't in the best locations - facing away from the sun and in the shade most of the day, the lowest I have seen their charge rate go is 96%.  Only 2 of the 6 are currently below 100% (99%) which isn't bad considering we're still only in February and I haven't seen any sun for days!

Picture quality is good and any footage captured is stored for approx 6 months iirc and the dogs don't generally trigger the motion capture.  If you can afford the cost (and I can appreciate the 100% rise in a couple of years is not something you signed up for) I'd recommend them as a good home security option. 

I'm just moaning, I'll pay it even if it doubled, annoying though as Amazon know it.

That wasn't even my renewal email, saw it online and was like no no no, come on. Like you we pay the monthly fee now as it includes all cameras you attach, prior to the kids arriving I think it was something like £2.50 a month.

I'm hoping our plan is not increasing and it's just the singular options, which you can see the thinking, bridge the price gap tempting people to go all out and kit the house out with their cameras which to be fair, are reasonably priced for the quality.

All comes out the joint account which is solely ran by the Mrs, starting to question why I started the topic and if I'm honest, it was probably just the opportunity to create a topic called Ring Sting was too good to pass on.

6 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

I’ve trained the post person to try a revolutionary new procedure when he has a recorded or signed for delivery for me.

He knocks the door. 

He was a bit reticent at first, but I think he’s got the hang of it now.

Until a Nymphomaniac couple move in next door and you're not sure if you have post or they are at it again. 

18 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

I’ve trained the post person to try a revolutionary new procedure when he has a recorded or signed for delivery for me.

He knocks the door. 

He was a bit reticent at first, but I think he’s got the hang of it now.

I knew it!  He was a postman all along.  Yer canna deny it now!   😁

Anyway, these fancy-dan ringer-stingers come with an ergonomic notification button... that even lights up in the dark.

There's just no need anymore, for fumbling about in the dark, handling other people's knockers! 

Oh! 😲

Edited by Mucker1884

8 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

We haven’t even got a knocker between us.

If you’ve not been here, I’d better explain. Some areas of Stockport should really be twinned with Beirut....

I lived on the egde of Adswood in the 80's, I'd say more Gaza City than Beirut.

On 10/02/2024 at 10:29, David said:

It's a relatively low price to pay at £50 a year too, and I'd be willing to bet £50 that the majority of people who want this sort of thing would not have baulked at that price had it been in place from the beginning.

The price hike I would agree is very poor form, but people have paid far more for far less.

This price rise is designed to push people to use the Protect Plus subscription and add more devices. 

The new price of £49.99 is £100 for two devices, so people might as well get protect plus at £80 to cover any number of devices. They will then invest in extra cameras and become captive to the service. Ring can then jack up the £80 protect plus subscription and wring more cash out of its customers. 

Meanwhile, people are chucking Ring and changing to alternatives that don't need subscription. 

29 minutes ago, Bigunder said:

This price rise is designed to push people to use the Protect Plus subscription and add more devices. 

The new price of £49.99 is £100 for two devices, so people might as well get protect plus at £80 to cover any number of devices. They will then invest in extra cameras and become captive to the service. Ring can then jack up the £80 protect plus subscription and wring more cash out of its customers. 

Meanwhile, people are chucking Ring and changing to alternatives that don't need subscription. 

Oooh!  Now that's clever!

#isawwhatyoudidthere

On 09/02/2024 at 12:28, David said:

£24.99 to £34.99 in 2022

£34.99 to £49.99 in 2024

Who owns Ring? Of course, Amazon.

IMG_1849.png

I ditched my payment package after one year. Couldn't justify the rise. If I get burgled and show the Police the video, they won't be interested anyway!