Ebou Adams - Signed on 3 year deal

I can't really see any reason for concern over such a fee when we're talking about a player essential to our chances of success, a player who's presence is regularly offered up as the difference between promotion or not.

The reason for concern would be that one player should be that important to us, to be so pivotal to us either having a functioning midfield or not, because what happens if he gets injured? 

I guess some may compare the situation to the McClaren team and Martin's importance or Thorne's impact / subsequent injury but I don't think either player on an individual basis had quite the transformational effect Adams had, the system still worked when you swapped out one or two players, just not as well. It fell apart when 3-4 key players were all missing at once.

Perhaps Adams' impact is overstated though?

Edited by May Contain Nuts

55 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I think you can put us getting over the line down to three factors. Firstly, Ebou being the "missing piece" was absolutely crucial. Warneball just clicked the second he got into the team, the classic "doing the dirty work" midfielder to break up play and run through walls that we just didn't have 

Secondly, the amount of sheer experience available in the squad. Most of them had been there and done it, and several at a higher level too. Hourihane, Fozzy, Smith, Bradley, Collo and even a couple of our home grown boys in Bird and Cash. All leaders. We paid for it over the season with injuries and a lack of pace, but the experience was absolutely crucial.

Thirdly, the fans. I've been watching Derby since 1994 and I've never felt emotion like the final whistle against Carlisle. We love to big ourselves up as a big club with great fans, but that was something else. Home and away last season, we were loud and passionate and I'm sure it passed on to performances. Sure, every "big" club who ends up in League One has the numbers but it meant more to us after coming so close to losing our club.

17 minutes ago, FKANorwichExile said:

I think you can put us getting over the line down to three factors. Firstly, Ebou being the "missing piece" was absolutely crucial. Warneball just clicked the second he got into the team, the classic "doing the dirty work" midfielder to break up play and run through walls that we just didn't have 

Secondly, the amount of sheer experience available in the squad. Most of them had been there and done it, and several at a higher level too. Hourihane, Fozzy, Smith, Bradley, Collo and even a couple of our home grown boys in Bird and Cash. All leaders. We paid for it over the season with injuries and a lack of pace, but the experience was absolutely crucial.

Thirdly, the fans. I've been watching Derby since 1994 and I've never felt emotion like the final whistle against Carlisle. We love to big ourselves up as a big club with great fans, but that was something else. Home and away last season, we were loud and passionate and I'm sure it passed on to performances. Sure, every "big" club who ends up in League One has the numbers but it meant more to us after coming so close to losing our club.

From the beginning of the points deduction era something changed. The fans at home became one voice, even when it wasn’t going that well. I am convinced that found its way to the pitch and played its part in building the dressing room unity that was so obvious of last season. 

2 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

I just want to put one little tiny caveat in there if you don't mind

Adams will be playing against better players...so unproven 👍

All this he's worth it...he aint worth it...Adams is worth what DCFC will pay or any other club...there...simple aint it.

When did i say he was proven at championship level?

Unsurprisingly I never really joined in with the "one voice" thing. It felt like a waste of energy in the face of the inevitable once a certain point was passed and I didn't really celebrate the goals against Fulham, the win against Sheffield Utd etc. The last minute Bielik equaliser against Birmingham was special (the occasion plus rallying against their Bamford fanbase)  but I think that's the last time I genuinely felt anything other than flat where Derby are concerned.

Life in general over the past few years seems to have killed any real enthusiasm I have for anything beyond an initial spell of enthusiasm. Music, football, beer, technology, whatever.

The Carlisle game last season even felt anticlimactic because of how routine it was. I did go onto the pitch and 'breathe it in' a bit but that was it in terms of celebration.

I didn't go to Friday's game against Matlock and the highlights haven't elicited any real feeling, I genuinely hope England lose tonight because I can't be arsed with the resultant wankfest in the coming months for an achievement that to me is only slightly greater than Derby's promotion. I've spent the past however long feeling mostly alien to the world around me and my supposed peers even though we're all supposed to have the same goal in mind.

Yours, Mr Miseryguts.

Sorry, MiseryNuts.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

21 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Unsurprisingly I never really joined in with the "one voice" thing. It felt like a waste of energy in the face of the inevitable once a certain point was passed and I didn't really celebrate the goals against Fulham, the win against Sheffield Utd etc. The last minute Bielik equaliser against Birmingham was special (the occasion plus rallying against their Bamford fanbase)  but I think that's the last time I genuinely felt anything other than flat where Derby are concerned.

Life in general over the past few years seems to have killed any real enthusiasm I have for anything beyond an initial spell of enthusiasm. Music, football, beer, technology, whatever.

The Carlisle game last season even felt anticlimactic because of how routine it was. I did go onto the pitch and 'breathe it in' a bit but that was it in terms of celebration.

I didn't go to Friday's game against Matlock and the highlights haven't elicited any real feeling, I genuinely hope England lose tonight because I can't be arsed with the resultant wankfest in the coming months for an achievement that to me is only slightly greater than Derby's promotion. I've spent the past however long feeling mostly alien to the world around me and my supposed peers even though we're all supposed to have the same goal in mind.

Yours, Mr Miseryguts.

Sorry, MiseryNuts.

There’s lots wrong with the world, and plenty of joy still to be found…. Might not be in watching a certain brand of football, or listening to what passes for music these days, technology peaked with the Sega Megadrive but again there’s some good stuff out in the world. 
If you’re genuinely feeling at odds with the world around you then I can understand it to a point and tentatively suggest seeking support as there is plenty out there. Chin up Nuts. 

15 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

There’s lots wrong with the world, and plenty of joy still to be found…. Might not be in watching a certain brand of football, or listening to what passes for music these days, technology peaked with the Sega Megadrive but again there’s some good stuff out in the world. 
If you’re genuinely feeling at odds with the world around you then I can understand it to a point and tentatively suggest seeking support as there is plenty out there. Chin up Nuts. 

I agree, there's lots of stuff to look forward to 

https://www.sfu.ca/~wainwrig/desiderata.htm

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

21 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I can't really see any reason for concern over such a fee when we're talking about a player essential to our chances of success, a player who's presence is regularly offered up as the difference between promotion or not.

The reason for concern would be that one player should be that important to us, to be so pivotal to us either having a functioning midfield or not, because what happens if he gets injured? 

I guess some may compare the situation to the McClaren team and Martin's importance or Thorne's impact / subsequent injury but I don't think either player on an individual basis had quite the transformational effect Adams had, the system still worked when you swapped out one or two players, just not as well. It fell apart when 3-4 key players were all missing at once.

McClaren's team functioned without Thorne when Eustace was his direct replacement, because Eustace was (like Thorne, and Ebou in last season's team) absolutely perfect for that role.  It came unstuck because Schteve only had one way of playing and ended up sticking square pegs in round holes (Warnock as DM for christ sake), whereas Warne has shown how adaptable he can be when he's without key players.  Would we have been promoted without Ebou?  Who knows, I think we would've been in the play offs for sure. 

Hopefully a deal for Ebou can be finalised soon so he can go to Spain the rest of the sqaud. I feel once we sign him and a first choice goalkeeper signed we have some sort of sqaud together at least to work with (with further additions needed for possibly later on in the window).

1 hour ago, Ram1988 said:

Hopefully a deal for Ebou can be finalised soon so he can go to Spain the rest of the sqaud. I feel once we sign him and a first choice goalkeeper signed we have some sort of sqaud together at least to work with (with further additions needed for possibly later on in the window).

Yes the keeper is quite important and can’t help thinking this behaviour from players and agents waiting until end of window exploring all possibilities etc etc does not help teams at all 

going on a tour when we are 8 players short ( Warnes numbers ) looks a bit pointless 

scrap the transfer window and let players move when they want was and is better imo 

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

Yes the keeper is quite important and can’t help thinking this behaviour from players and agents waiting until end of window exploring all possibilities etc etc does not help teams at all 

going on a tour when we are 8 players short ( Warnes numbers ) looks a bit pointless 

scrap the transfer window and let players move when they want was and is better imo 

I agree it doesn't help clubs at all. At least if we sign Ebou and a keeper we can field a competitive starting 11 at least (even if the sqaud depth if light) to ramp up pre season with.

4 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Reading the Cardiff fan forum, a resident itk who seems to know a lot is saying it’s 900k after add ons but 650k up front and 200k of the potential 250k add ons are if we’re promoted to the premier league. Surely Ebou signs tomorrow or Wednesday if figures are agreed I can’t see personal terms being any issue.

They are usually sorted well before the deal I think these days 

3 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

We are very light in midfield even if Ebou signs I think we need at least a further 2. I am yet to be convinced we can score enough goals with the current players available so I would also be hoping for another striker and shipping out Washington assuming someone will buy him

1 minute ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

We are very light in midfield even if Ebou signs I think we need at least a further 2. I am yet to be convinced we can score enough goals with the current players available so I would also be hoping for another striker and shipping out Washington assuming someone will buy him

Warne said himself after Matlock he wants another 3-4 midfielders in.