Reading v Derby match day thread.

Boycie

2 hours ago, Archied said:

You see this is my problem ( not you alone but the many fronted attacks ) , we have people saying that with the players / squad we have ,ie much better than other clubs , we should be smashing the division , jeez even any fan off this forum could have them top 6 at least ,,,,, then warne warne signs absolute dross is the cry ,

surely you can see why any fans who are ok with seeing how warne pans out can be frustrated at the amount of sticks chosen to beat him with 🤷🏻‍♂️

They can be good players (in the right system) and bad players (in Warne's system). For example, you could get Huddlestone and Ledley to bomb up and down the pitch and they'll tire quickly, get caught out of position defensively and leave large gaps in the middle of the field (sound familiar?), or you could have them sitting deep, leave very little gap between themselves and the defence and they'll look very good.

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm deeply saddened that you can't take my comments seriously. I've read your comments to other posters you don't make snidey personal comments to them on reply, so just ignore mine then. 

If I wanted to say things I like about Warne's time at Derby it would only be that the end of it must be getting nearer. 😄

You've sort of justified any perceived snideness with that facetious remark there though... You seem to come into most conversations with a negative bias towards Warne which seemingly stops you debating anything with any nuance because your remarks have zero balance. The ironic thing here was that I was trying to get you to engage in a more balanced conversation, your inability to do so confirms why people don't bother engaging with you properly. 

14 hours ago, nottingram said:

Fair enough in that case. Not to move the goalposts too much but I’d be surprised if the players signed by half of those were on our radar, and two of them sold players in the summer for (for them) significant transfer fees. Which brings us on to paragraph 2 of my previous post…

Ultimately it’s a pointless discussion as he’s not going anywhere, but imo he is doing at very best about par. I just really really struggle with the argument he is not backed or is working with his hands tied. In my opinion it is fantasy designed to excuse what so far is a transfer record that is crap if you’re feeling generous. I wonder how much it comes to when you tally up the wages we must be spending on his signings that so far look to be pretty poor either due to a bad initial fit, abandoning 3ATB after 3 games or just that they don’t seem to be very good or he doesn’t trust them anyway. 

or gambles on sick notes,add up all the wasted sick pay,and we could of had one hell of a player at this level

24 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

...The ironic thing here was that I was trying to get you to engage in a more balanced conversation, your inability to do so confirms why people don't bother engaging with you properly. 

Your idea of balanced is not mine. Irony not lost at all. 😄

I think a gauge of how well thought of Warne is is this 

( Its not going to happen but )

if it was announced right now that Warne was being replaced with Warnock who has been given the soul objective of getting us top two would most be excited by that or really disappointed?

I know I’d be putting money on us going up because he wouldn’t put up with lame performances like Tuesday 

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think it's interesting that although in interview after the Lincoln game players were saying words to the effect that they had a frank exchange of views nothing really changed apart from they were worse at Reading. 

Also am I the only one that gets aggravated hearing players in pre-match interviews saying " we know what we've got in the dressing room" meaning they think they're good. Don't say it, show it...... 

Maybe they mean they know they’re not very good.😀

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

You've sort of justified any perceived snideness with that facetious remark there though... You seem to come into most conversations with a negative bias towards Warne which seemingly stops you debating anything with any nuance because your remarks have zero balance. The ironic thing here was that I was trying to get you to engage in a more balanced conversation, your inability to do so confirms why people don't bother engaging with you properly. 

Hide Help GIF by ADWEEK Roy Mac crawling back under his rock to wait for the next defeat

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

if it was announced right now that Warne was being replaced with Warnock who has been given the soul objective of getting us top two would most be excited by that or really disappointed?

I know I’d be putting money on us going up because he wouldn’t put up with lame performances like Tuesday 

It would annoy me as it would represent even more short terminism. 

4 hours ago, Gaspode said:

An even bigger concern is how the manager would cope in the Championship - his lack of tactical acumen would kill us at a higher level. I'm beginning to think that the reason Rotherham got relegated so often after getting proomoted had far more to do with the limitations of the manger than any financial issues.....

Weren't Rotherham in the play-offs slots when he left? Not too many games in obviously, but it does rather throw some doubt on this argument. That said, it's still the major concern for me too, though given he's not going anywhere, I don't dwell on it too much. I think Clowes will make the hard decisions if it becomes obvious he needs to anyway.

15 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Weren't Rotherham in the play-offs slots when he left? Not too many games in obviously, but it does rather throw some doubt on this argument. That said, it's still the major concern for me too, though given he's not going anywhere, I don't dwell on it too much. I think Clowes will make the hard decisions if it becomes obvious he needs to anyway.

Yes I do think Clowes would he is a proper fan as we know …

29 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

It would annoy me as it would represent even more short terminism. 

Fair enough 

isn’t Warne short term though really ? or would you want him as manager in the championship ?if we got up I’d want to be able to select someone who could take us to the next level 

And to most people outside looking in Warne is doing a good job.

We could have gone top last night and people are calling for the manager to be sacked. We didn't play well but sometimes we just don't, same as every other team.

I reckon we'll beat Cheltenham this weekend.

Edited by Beetle

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

I remember when Nigel Pearson went full Tonto after we lost badly at home to Blackburn - that sure did work out well....

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

Fair enough 

isn’t Warne short term though really ? or would you want him as manager in the championship ?if we got up I’d want to be able to select someone who could take us to the next level 

Aye, hence 'even more' short terminism. I'd accept Warne as a manager in the Championship if he gets us up, but I struggle to see past some fundamental flaws in his approach which are unlikely to ever change, and will cause us problems, regardless of who we sign.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

2 hours ago, Beetle said:

And to most people outside looking in Warne is doing a good job.

We could have gone top last night and people are calling for the manager to be sacked. We didn't play well but sometimes we just don't, same as every other team.

I reckon we'll beat Cheltenham this weekend.

Unfortunately occasionally playing badly would be acceptable. But it isn’t occasionally. Even on the “good run” we rarely played well, we just “got away with it”. 

The problem is with the way Warne wants us to play. Despite 3 transfer windows he still hasn’t got the players he wants, but insists on “straightjacketing” the team into his system but can’t explain (or maybe even see) why, with said straightjacket rammed onto the players why they can’t move freely. Most people can see that we need to take the straightjacket off. How about it, Paul?

Edited by DavesaRam

to state the bleeding obvious.............

I would think by now young Mr Warne would know the shortcomings of the squad and each individual player therein.

We went on a run because we were limiting the opposition to a few shots/goals, and we had the ability to outscore them as they tried to get the better of us.

This goal scoring has now been all but eradicated by packing the box and having a player or two, who can use the ball at speed and overcome our defences.

The lack of goals is more of an issue for me than anything, hopefully, new signings and players returning from injury will go some way to easing this.

One thing else, we need to leave someone back who can match the speed and /or read the game, of their attacker.

Cashin is wanting in both departments and neither he or Nelson seem able to match the speed, Elder doesn,t read the game well enough.

Maybe leave two back is the answer?   🦍