January- An opportunity to be in the race for the automatics

If I was Paul Warne I'd be looking at January and thinking we should by no means be dropping any points against these sides

If we hoover up these points against some fairly poor teams it will give us a real push for automatics and hopefully and boost in January unlike last year with the additional signings to bolster our chances, whoever comes in will be crucial and they must be better than the players currently in the squad as minimum criteria 

January could be the pivotal part of the season for The Rams 🐏 

Let's believe!

20240103_144055.jpg

Edited by TheRamOfSwad

5 minutes ago, TheRamOfSwad said:

If I was Paul Warne I'd be looking at January and thinking we should by no means be dropping any points against these sides

If we hoover up these points against some fairly poor teams it will give us a real push for automatics and hopefully and boost in January unlike last year with the additional signings to bolster our chances, whoever comes in will be crucial and they must be better than the players currently in the squad as minimum criteria 

January could be the pivotal part of the season for The Rams 🐏 

Let's believe!

20240103_144055.jpg

Reading will be a tough one as they're finally hitting some good form. Unbeaten in 6 (including draws vs Peterborough and Oxford) and only 1 defeat in 9 in the league.

Form over the last 6 games:
Fleetwood - 2 points (24th)
Burton - 7 points (16th)
Lincoln - 2 points (23rd)
Reading - 10 points (9th)
Cheltenham - 8 points (14th)

Honestly, anything less than 13 points from those 5 games would be a disappointment.

55 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Reading will be a tough one as they're finally hitting some good form. Unbeaten in 6 (including draws vs Peterborough and Oxford) and only 1 defeat in 9 in the league.

Form over the last 6 games:
Fleetwood - 2 points (24th)
Burton - 7 points (16th)
Lincoln - 2 points (23rd)
Reading - 10 points (9th)
Cheltenham - 8 points (14th)

Honestly, anything less than 13 points from those 5 games would be a disappointment.

So less than 4 wins and 1 draw would be disappointing 🤨

Whilst a good opportunity to push on, imo football is never as simple as looking at league positions to determine if we will win or not.

8 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Whilst a good opportunity to push on, imo football is never as simple as looking at league positions to determine if we will win or not.

Good to know that you'd be content with dropping points against Fleetwood, Burton, Lincoln and Cheltenham, but I won't be. We don't have a divine right to beat those sides, but a side competing for automatics definitely should be beating them.

7 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

He hasn't. He's also looked at current league form.

Over the same period (6 games), we've picked up 13 points and are therefore in better form than all of those teams.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Good to know that you'd be content with dropping points against Fleetwood, Burton, Lincoln and Cheltenham, but I won't be. We don't have a divine right to beat those sides, but a side competing for automatics definitely should be beating them.

13 from 15 would be a great return. You're a stat man, look at how many games teams during a season get that return, I don't know answer but I'd be surprised if Man City do it more than a couple a season.  

4 wins from 5 would not be a disappointment, I'd be happy with that and anything over is a bonus. 

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Last season we drew at Fleetwood and lost at Lincoln under the previous manager.

Posted (edited)

Just think if we want to be automatically promoted we should beating these teams, we will have a much harder run in later in the season and this is a opportunity to get a winning run together and set us up to finish strong

Last year after January we fell off and the lack of signings was a factor in that 

Edited by TheRamOfSwad

21 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Last season we drew at Fleetwood and lost at Lincoln under the previous manager.

Last season we also lost to Fleetwood at home 0-2 and drew against 10 man Lincoln at home under the current manager.

Edited by Jubbs

34 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

4 wins from 5 would not be a disappointment, I'd be happy with that and anything over is a bonus. 

This would be a great return but we ALSO need to win most of the 6 pointers, when they come along. 

33 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

13 from 15 would be a great return. You're a stat man, look at how many games teams during a season get that return, I don't know answer but I'd be surprised if Man City do it more than a couple a season.  

I agree 4 wins from 5 would be good enough.

That would mean 12 points from a possible 15 on top of our 25 points from the last 30 available.

Which would total at 37 points from a possible 45 points topping the desired 2 points per game by 7 points over a 15 game stretch. Aka as automatic promotion form.

15 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

There's a big gulf in quality between the top 8 and the rest of the league. It's why a lot of the top sides go on long runs and why it can be difficult to gain points on the top sides even when you go on a very good run yourself. The run we were just on had that return (8 wins and 1 draw). 
Portsmouth have done it twice - 02/09 to 07/1 (7 wins and 1 draw), followed by 28/11 to 23/12 (4 wins and a draw)
Bolton - 21-10 to 28/11 (6 wins and 1 draw), 23/12 to present (4 wins with Cheltenham up next)
Peterborough - 25/11 to 23/12 (4 wins and a draw)
Oxford - 16/09 to 21/10 (5 wins and a draw)
Stevenage - 28/10 to 09/12 (5 wins and a draw)

10 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

There's a bit of a difference. At the start of last season, general expectation was a mixture of mid-table and top 6. This season, it's a mixture of top 6 and automatics. Squads change so much in L1 you can't judge teams this season off last season either. Just look at Oxford who were challenging for promotion in the 3 seasons from 2019-2022, only to be 19th last season (just 2 points clear of relegation), and now back up challenging for promotion again.
Fleetwood had also only lost 1 of their opening 4 games before playing us (beating Plymouth), with our draw being halfway through their 9 game unbeaten run. Lincoln had a slow start to their season, but beat Barnsley in the cup 3-0 2 weeks before playing us, and were up to 8th in the table after scoring 6 goals against Bristol Rovers just 4 days after our game.

Even so, we were all disappointed with those results just like we will be if we don't beat them this time around.

11 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Last season we also lost to Fleetwood at home 0-2 and drew against 10 man Lincoln at home under the current manager.

This season we have beaten Fleetwood at home and Lincoln at home in the cup under the current manager 🤷🏻‍♂️

42 minutes ago, TheRamOfSwad said:

Just think if we want to be automatically promoted we should beating these teams, we will have a much harder run in later in the season and this is a opportunity to get a winning run together and set us up to finish strong

Last year after January we fell off and the lack of signings was a factor in that 

You can’t take anything for granted in this league. Portsmouth and Peterborough (both of whom I’m sure have ambitions of automatic promotion) have dropped points (at home) against teams on that list.

Having said that, January really does look like an great opportunity to strengthen our challenge. What could possibly go wrong. 😮

If we're to challenge for the automatic places, with three teams above us, we have to be relentless and average a fair bit over 2 points a game (if we're going to lose to rivals like Peterborough). Really we need to be aiming for and expecting 15 points from these 5 games, which puts us back in the mix. But football is not straightforward and things can go wrong, so we might not manage that tally. However, as @Ghost of Cloughsays, and because of the big gulf in quality he mentions, anything less than 13 points will be a disappointment. It will also likely see us fall a little away from the race for automatics. You cannot ease off in this division or you'll find your rivals are away over the horizon.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Portsmouth have done it twice - 02/09 to 07/1 (7 wins and 1 draw), followed by 28/11 to 23/12 (4 wins and a draw)
Bolton - 21-10 to 28/11 (6 wins and 1 draw), 23/12 to present (4 wins with Cheltenham up next)
Peterborough - 25/11 to 23/12 (4 wins and a draw)
Oxford - 16/09 to 21/10 (5 wins and a draw)
Stevenage - 28/10 to 09/12 (5 wins and a draw)

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

So not many, I'm willing to wager that you can pick any team in the top three leagues to get four wins and a draw, they won't do it.

I accept there is a gulf, however a refs call, a key injury, a freak result etc etc, means that over 5 games it's difficult always to get positive results regards of the opponent.

It’s a cliche but the best approach to take things one game at a time.

The first step is bouncing back quickly and getting a positive result v Fleetwood to consolidate our position in the top six. We can’t take that for granted in itself.

There is no point focusing on other teams and getting wrapped up in chasing them down. They are not going to be worrying about us.

Portsmouth, Bolton and Peterborough will simply be looking to win the next game and maintain their own pace. Barnsley, Oxford and Stevenage will be pushing hard too.

We have to focus on ourselves and get the small wins and things will snowball. If we can stay laser focused and routinely win the games we would be expected to, it puts less pressure on the games v the top 6/7.

2 hours ago, Scott129 said:

He hasn't. He's also looked at current league form.

Over the same period (6 games), we've picked up 13 points and are therefore in better form than all of those teams.

If only football was that simple 😊