Portsmouth or Bolton?

Sussex Ram

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How come we're not top then? 😄

I wasn't impressed with Portsmouth at PP, but they're clinical from corners, a third of their goals coming from corners, I don't know how many more from free kicks. That's the difference in points explained, our conversion rate is poor by comparison and we have had more corners than any other team in this league, so there's a number of goals gone begging there.

1 minute ago, ram59 said:

I wasn't impressed with Portsmouth at PP, but they're clinical from corners, a third of their goals coming from corners, I don't know how many more from free kicks. That's the difference in points explained, our conversion rate is poor by comparison and we have had more corners than any other team in this league, so there's a number of goals gone begging there.

Right. All those crosses we've slung over too. I imagine when Bradley is further integrated that we'll see more conversions.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Right. All those crosses we've slung over too. I imagine when Bradley is further integrated that we'll see more conversions.

I would imagine that was the original plan behind his signing, to add his goal threat at set pieces, but he has to be on the pitch first. I wonder if a player who is more dominant in the air, is on our shopping list? Having said that we have been more imaginative with our crosses of late, which have reaped better rewards, so maybe that kind of player isn't so urgently needed?

On the positive side, we could be in the autos on Saturday night, providing 4 results go our way.

I would happily have taken the position we are in a week before christmas, 3 points off automatic promotion back in August.

Plenty of room for improvement but winning is a nice habit and confidence will give us an extra boost going into the next few games.

We won't win them all, we will lose one or two soon enough but thats when you need to go on another run. The other teams wont win every game either.

Its all to play for, enjoy it! Look forward to a proper scrap for those top 2 positions over the coming weeks and months.

COYR

42 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

I hope you’re right 👍

As I said, you win nowt in December - we still have time for the confidence a run of good results brings to translate into better football. 

I thought the Portsmouth which sneaked a last minute equaliser against us and the one that played last night were like night and day. 

In what way ? Do you think they look better now ? As I say , to my eye neither side looked any better than us and I fact I would fancy us against them , Bolton away I thought we were robbed and I think we are far more settled now than then and finding some form , confidence and momentum, both sides last night gave the ball away extremely easily and decision making in the final third along with finishing was poor , certainly no better than us🤷🏻‍♂️

21 hours ago, ram59 said:

Ahh yes... both teams have scored 34 goals and conceded 16. Portsmouth even have the benefit of playing 1 extra game. 

Getting only 2 points from Cambridge, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury and Stevenage whilst conceding 5 goals is one of the main reasons why we're 9 points behind Portsmouth.

8 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

They pressed more effectively and gradually more as the second half progressed - some would say Bolton were poor in the second half, I’d say they were made to look poor by Portsmouth. 

They dominated for parts of the game, and their game management was excellent for the last half hour. 

We never look safe - we don’t keep the ball well enough to manage a game that well, it’s not a by product of how we set up and play. 

When was he last time we scored after a period of say 10-15 minutes of being clearly on top and “in control” ?

Portsmouth have scored 10 and conceded zero goals in the league between minutes 31-45 of their last 20 league games - that doesn’t happen by chance. You could see that they were looking for Bolton’s weaknesses and addressing their own throughout the first half hour, and had a good 10-15 minutes up to their goal. A regular set piece plan, I think they are top or joint top scorers from corners this season in League One. 

We’ve had 6 good results but as yet only marginal improvement in the football. It may come if we get to 20 plus like Pompey - I’d love that to happen.

That’s what I see anyway - the beauty of this game is that we all see it differently.

Yep and I agree that I see some stuff they do well and of course they are above us for a reason but over all I personally didn’t see them as far superior a side to us 🤷🏻‍♂️

I enjoyed the game as a spectacle. I don't think there was loads of quality, but what did worry me was the high intensity pressing of both teams.

I personally don't think we have a team that can match that sort of energy for 90 minutes, nor do I fancy our back four under that kind of pressure (even though they've been solid as a unit).

On 14/12/2023 at 11:19, Scott129 said:

I enjoyed the game as a spectacle. I don't think there was loads of quality, but what did worry me was the high intensity pressing of both teams.

I personally don't think we have a team that can match that sort of energy for 90 minutes, nor do I fancy our back four under that kind of pressure (even though they've been solid as a unit).

We held against the energy and pressure against Portsmouth for 94 minutes in September.😀