January Reinforcements

sage

6 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Lose a fringe player in an area of the pitch with lots of options, and gain a proven goalscorer to add to our threadbare forwards?

Yes, 100% if we have to move out to bring in. Our focus right now has to be on getting out of this league 

But we have other fringe players we could get rid of first? 

Bird likely off in summer. Hourihane the same. New lad unproven really above league 2 level and is only a loan. We can’t just plan for the next 5 months. Smith clearly surplus to requirements. 

Leaves Fornah, Thompson, Robinson? 

Smith, Ward, Bradley are likely the players to try and loan out/move on to free up wages and get minutes. Perhaps not even Bradley as we’d be thin on the ground at CB. 

The fact we seem to get more late deals done these days gives me hope that we will get a striker in tonight.

It also gives me hope that we seem to have a bit more nerve in negotiations and stand our ground, stick to our own budgets and boundaries, and have backup plans if things don't go how we want them to.

Time will tell but I am quietly confident we can steer away from panic decisions and do only what we need to do

2 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Young strikers from Norwich and Brighton I’ve heard recently 

plus exploring championship players with few minutes - Gregory , Juke , Joseph at Leeds, and Maja at West Brom are some of the names I’ve heard.

Oxford guy has been allegedly concentrating on summer recruitment. 

Very interesting. One from each category (youngster and champ exp) would be amazing push for promotion! Obviously not realistic given that we expect are least one other of Washington or Waghorn to be available next month.

I like the sound of the range of options and reckon youngsters will be lower down the pick list.

21 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

But we have other fringe players we could get rid of first? 

Bird likely off in summer. Hourihane the same. New lad unproven really above league 2 level and is only a loan. We can’t just plan for the next 5 months. Smith clearly surplus to requirements. 

Leaves Fornah, Thompson, Robinson? 

Smith, Ward, Bradley are likely the players to try and loan out/move on to free up wages and get minutes. Perhaps not even Bradley as we’d be thin on the ground at CB. 

Other teams have to want them. If Fornah is the only one attracting enough interest to allow us to complete a deal then it's him or nothing.

As for the rest, you can't plan for next season until we know what league we're in. If we go up, Bird stays, for example.

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not had chance to go back far through the thread, so apologies if already discussed. Seems legit we've been turned down for Liverpool's Bobby Clark 

Just saw the same on X, I wonder if that’s what led to the Adams deal instead, tried for Clark then moved onto another target. 
Again highlights that the club is quietly going about things in the background, even though this was unsuccessful it’s not been splashed all over the place as a rumour. 

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not had chance to go back far through the thread, so apologies if already discussed. Seems legit we've been turned down for Liverpool's Bobby Clark 

He’s the lad we nearly signed in summer wasn’t he? 

2 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Young strikers from Norwich and Brighton I’ve heard recently 

plus exploring championship players with few minutes - Gregory , Juke , Joseph at Leeds, and Maja at West Brom are some of the names I’ve heard.

Oxford guy has been allegedly concentrating on summer recruitment. 

Can you share which league we'll be recruiting for?

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Just saw the same on X, I wonder if that’s what led to the Adams deal instead, tried for Clark then moved onto another target. 
Again highlights that the club is quietly going about things in the background, even though this was unsuccessful it’s not been splashed all over the place as a rumour. 

Very different players so don’t think the 2 deals would be linked but who knows. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

To me, he's shown enough to be worthy of game time here. Take minutes from Hourihane, he doesn't need them and maybe he can actually be more useful with more energy in the tank.

I don't disagree, srg, but it's not how Warne thinks, so I'd rather the young man was getting minutes than getting frustrated.

Edited by angieram
Sorry!

Interesting to see us go in for Clark , would of been a very good addition from what i've seen of him in the Cup games and a few brief league appearances.

With that in mind does that then mean we are after another midfielder (Creative?) as well as a Striker. 

Think it will be an interesting night with a few surprises on the way. 

14 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Thought i'd read somewhere that Liverpool were willing to let him go on loan this month. 

Hoping he doesn't rock up at another league 1 club otherwise my head will explode.

4 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Thought i'd read somewhere that Liverpool were willing to let him go on loan this month. 

Hoping he doesn't rock up at another league 1 club otherwise my head will explode.

He got on last night against Chelsea so Klopp must see some value in keeping him.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There's a 'Championship Pot' and a 'League 1 Pot' depending on the outcome at the end of the season. Some targets may even appear in both pots

Potty mouth! This confirms it; our recruitment has gone potty.

3 hours ago, Rample said:

In some semblance of order based on PW's likely preference for CM

1. Bird

2. Hourihane

3. Thompson

4. Adams

5. Smith

6. Fornah

7. SIbley?

8. Robinson or Fapetu

I would have though midfielder could also include the likes of Ward

I think Adams will go. he's had long enough and just hasn't impressed me. 🙂 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Maybe a loan out? He does need game time, and to learn the role a bit more.

I always thought he'd be one for the future, given Hourihane and probably Bird departing at season end. So a development loan would make more sense to me. 

Can't see a transfer fee generating much? 

wouldn't the gumps want coin if we got a fee for fornah?