January Reinforcements

sage

Find it incredibly frustrating that Fornah and Ward are being linked with leaving.

Warnes signings (mostly) haven’t shown much of anything to improve us, and if we’re already looking at letting two of them go 6 months after signing then surely we need to be asking big questions of Warne and the recruitment team again? 

12 minutes ago, BPV said:

Find it incredibly frustrating that Fornah and Ward are being linked with leaving.

They're only really being linked with leaving by posters on here though, aren't they? Nobody in the outside world has identified them as the players on the fringes we may move on.

28 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Yet here we are with only one credible link to a player that's seemingly out of our price range. YAY.

All that means is the press don't know what's going on, let's not conflate that with nothing happening behind the scenes. Let's just wait and see; if this season's taught us one thing, it's that sometimes those who are quick to criticise often wind up eating their words... 👀

16 minutes ago, BPV said:

Warnes signings (mostly) haven’t shown much of anything to improve us, and if we’re already looking at letting two of them go 6 months after signing then surely we need to be asking big questions of Warne and the recruitment team again? 

Way I see it is that if letting players go is the only chance of bringing players in, let’s utilise the value of those not considered our regular starters.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fornah is rated in the same way DPFG was, lots of leggy effort little real ability. He got caught again in the middle of the park for them to break on Sat. Would rather we'd have tried Fapetu and rather see him now.

Ward - bye

Collo, another year to keep him happy?

I think Ward is the best crosser of a ball at the club.  Doesn't need to beat a player to put it in with accuracy.  Remember Curtis Davies saying he was a fantastic signing at the start of the season for this reason. He should be tailor made for Warneball.  He can't defend though.  

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fornah is rated in the same way DPFG was, lots of leggy effort little real ability. He got caught again in the middle of the park for them to break on Sat. Would rather we'd have tried Fapetu and rather see him now.

Ward - bye

Collo, another year to keep him happy?

Sorry but he’s miles away from being a DPFG…. He was very underrated…. Valuable member of that team…. And gave us real bite in centre midfield …just what we need right now in fact.

But I know what u r trying to say 👍

3 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Sorry but he’s miles away from being a DPFG…. He was very underrated…. Valuable member of that team…. And gave us real bite in centre midfield …just what we need right now in fact.

But I know what u r trying to say 👍

A midfield 3 of Powell, Van Der Laan and Carsley was always friendly.

7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think Ward is the best crosser of a ball at the club.  Doesn't need to beat a player to put it in with accuracy.  Remember Curtis Davies saying he was a fantastic signing at the start of the season for this reason. He should be tailor made for Warneball.  He can't defend though.  

Yes, I don’t think we’ve used him well so far. He’d be excellent if we got Smith, even if one or more of them only came on as sub.

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Feel like Ward has been a bit unfortunate, signed for a system that we haven't regularly played, as we rarely look convincing playing it, and picked up an injury that kept him out for a while. Then when he does come back, gives away a poor penalty, and it seems Warne can't trust him defensively.

He'd look okay in a 5, but would rely on him getting support from t'midfield - and are you really picking him ahead of NML or Wilson (though thought the latter had a poor game vs. Cheltenham)?

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Very good crosser but like you say can’t defend so can’t play right back in a back 4 and doesn’t score goals to play on the wing in a front 3.

So 3-5-2 or 4-4-2. Not a bad signing if we persisted with 3 at the back for more than 5 minutes but at this point simply doesn’t have a place. 

26 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Wonder if this was the striker we've been outbid on? Can't remember Derby ever being linked with him mind

Sounds like Bolton have gone for him over Ennis could we go for Ennis now?

1 hour ago, BPV said:

My recollection is of Mark Thomas being on his notice period at Oxford until the summer started (a quick browse couldn't confirm this). I therefore think it's reasonable to assume the majority of the summer signings were 'Warne signings'. The likes of Bradley, Elder, etc. would have been lined up very quickly, and most liekly before Thomas had officially started working for us. I therefore have confidence that the success rate of our signigns will improve going forward.

However, it is a concern how so many signings aren't playing as much as we had liked - whether through injury or performance. When weighing up value for money (availability/minutes played vs wages), it's signings from this season who come out of it worst - Ward, Bradley, Elder, Embleton, John-Jules, Washington.. It's clear we can't afford to have another summer like last.

1 hour ago, May Contain Nuts said:

They're only really being linked with leaving by posters on here though, aren't they? Nobody in the outside world has identified them as the players on the fringes we may move on.

Gives people something else to moan about though doesn't it?  Let them wallow in it.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If he goes somewhere else he will be really effective and look like exactly the sort of player we could do with.  Absolutely guarantee it.  Needs chance to show what he can do before the fans and the club bin him off.