January Reinforcements

sage

I think from Warne's comments we face competition from a number of Championship clubs as well as ambitious league 1 clubs like Bolton and Portsmouth for any players we might be interested in in league 1 and probably players in league 2 as well. Everyone is looking for these players who are coming to the end of the contracts and might be available without a fee because nobody has got much money.    This is where we need our recruitment team to earn their money by finding us a couple of players that aren't on the radar of everyone else which means looking outside of the lower English leagues and players like Blackett - Taylor  

11 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think from Warne's comments we face competition from a number of Championship clubs as well as ambitious league 1 clubs like Bolton and Portsmouth for any players we might be interested in in league 1 and probably players in league 2 as well. Everyone is looking for these players who are coming to the end of the contracts and might be available without a fee because nobody has got much money.    This is where we need our recruitment team to earn their money by finding us a couple of players that aren't on the radar of everyone else which means looking outside of the lower English leagues and players like Blackett - Taylor  

Spurs under 21s for a loan or two it is then!

19 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

Femi Azeez from Reading looks a talent. Pacey attacker, plays mostly from the right cutting onto his left so would provide a different option to what we have. Only 22 and coming to his contract end I think

I'd chuck a really cheeky lowball bid in for him, Savage, and maybe even Ehibhatiomhan. They might not be in a position to say no with the state of their finances...

17 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I can understand a gamble if you are wanting to break into the top 6, but if you’re going for the title you need players of a certain calibre. Signing a Blackett Taylor or a Al-Hamadi would put you in pole position for promotion.

Part of our problem last Jan was hoping players like Harvey White and Springett would add something. This didn’t pay off and we ultimately fell out of the playoff’s. Let’s hope we don’t make the same mistake again! 

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Can't wait for the reaction on here when we ship either Cashin/Bird and get no one else into the club 

It would be a meltdown, and quite rightly so.

However, there is not a single ounce of evidence to suggest that is going to happen, but don't let that spoil your fun.

2 hours ago, Big Trav said:

I've heard this could be a tasty January. Looking at creative players mainly. Top priority's are winger and 10. DET have said we're interesed in Blackett-Taylor at Charlton, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I'd also take a punt on Dobra at Chesterfield, who's reportedly turned down a contract their. There's no plans for outs but everyone does have a price and i would assume their would be plans in place for that already. 

Emma Stone Food GIF

2 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

I can understand a gamble if you are wanting to break into the top 6, but if you’re going for the title you need players of a certain calibre. Signing a Blackett Taylor or a Al-Hamadi would put you in pole position for promotion.

Part of our problem last Jan was hoping players like Harvey White and Springett would add something. This didn’t pay off and we ultimately fell out of the playoff’s. Let’s hope we don’t make the same mistake again! 

Yeah but if you read my post, my first point is maybe we can't get such players 'into the building' because of the competition! We will see soon enough. Certainly we can do better than the likes of Harvey White and Springett though  

Edited by Gerry Daly

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

It would be a meltdown, and quite rightly so.

However, there is not a single ounce of evidence to suggest that is going to happen, but don't let that spoil your fun.

There are some stories doing the rounds that Hull, Birmingham are interested in NML. Likely to be lazy journo’s or his agent stirring the pot , but his contract expires end of season. Not one we’d like to lose. Lots of short term contracts, lots of challenges in just keeping what we have.

8 hours ago, davenportram said:

39 goals in 22 matches would indicate we have enough up top. Issues have been conceding sloppy in close games. Workhorses are required

Yet we have scored 1 or less in 12 of our 22 games resulting in just 13 points. It's in these games where we need more options to breakdown those defences - a couple of players who can score or create different types of goals to our existing squad.

Aside from Mendez-Laing, our other wide mids/forwards have just 4 goals combined. Our attacking mids have just 4 assists.

John-Jules returns to Arsenal in January, Washington is out until March and Waghorn is probably going to be hit and miss for the rest of the season. Relying on just Collins to see us through to the end of the season would be a risky move, especially after going into the 2nd half of last season with just Collins and McGoldrick proved costly.

15 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

I Wimbledon mate says Al-Hamadi unlikely to move before summer. He’s off to the Africans Nations Cup. Championship clubs linked with him too

He’s Iraqi, so if he’s going to the African Cup of Nations, he’s not likely to play!

However, the Asian Cup is also being played in Jan/Feb, so he’ll be there.

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Yet we have scored 1 or less in 12 of our 22 games resulting in just 13 points. It's in these games where we need more options to breakdown those defences - a couple of players who can score or create different types of goals to our existing squad.

Aside from Mendez-Laing, our other wide mids/forwards have just 4 goals combined. Our attacking mids have just 4 assists.

John-Jules returns to Arsenal in January, Washington is out until March and Waghorn is probably going to be hit and miss for the rest of the season. Relying on just Collins to see us through to the end of the season would be a risky move, especially after going into the 2nd half of last season with just Collins and McGoldrick proved costly.

Do we have any real idea how long Waggy is out for ??