Holiday Plans - 2024

Stagtime

Same old Eurotunnel now booked for 1st June.
Same old France the expected final destination.

... But a whole new, previously unexplored region... Alsace!  Chocolate-box villages and all!  

*Unless the last minute weather forecast is crap, (and better elsewhere).  In which case, we'll head somewhere else!  Gotta love semi-planned and unbooked campsite holidays in France, where you can just rock up, pitch the tent, and do whatever yer want!

floss-camping.gif

11 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Same old Eurotunnel now booked for 1st June.
Same old France the expected final destination.

... But a whole new, previously unexplored region... Alsace!  Chocolate-box villages and all!  

*Unless the last minute weather forecast is crap, (and better elsewhere).  In which case, we'll head somewhere else!  Gotta love semi-planned and unbooked campsite holidays in France, where you can just rock up, pitch the tent, and do whatever yer want!

floss-camping.gif

Alsace is a lovely part of France. I found the German influenced food a bit of a disappointment, but the wine and beer more than compensated for that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Early morning from our flat in Belper. Day 10 heading into the Silk Mill and found the address where my grandfather lived in Belper so we’ll go stalking the neighbourhood. Highlights this week, walking from Bakewell to Chatsworth, cycling the Monsal Trail, going to the Arboretum where there was a memorial towards the children displaced from home ( my father and uncle sent to Oz) and a great Sunday with relatives at the Nadee and the Dragon. Sadly after 5 weeks we start winding down before heading home next Monday.

IMG_1448.thumb.jpeg.bfeb2253c581ebbd79f283f37ab6cf8d.jpegIMG_1450.thumb.jpeg.82bea37d02c0fdd83fcbd62012d88412.jpegIMG_1451.thumb.jpeg.e424e5418f283fb8af13363450b1927c.jpeg

This morning’s brekkie.

just got back from a 4 day trip with the boys/lads for a joint-50th birthday, in Riga, Latvia.

Whilst we had a great laugh, and the food and beers were very good, it seemed very pricey, almost topping English prices, and wasn't too special. We found lots of little pockets of bars and restaurants and I was happy with some of the outside sitting areas, it's not a patch on other big cities, such as Prague and Budapest.

I am off to Stalis, Crete next Friday for a week of relaxing Tournament Football watching. I think it's the 8th tournament I've done there.

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

just got back from a 4 day trip with the boys/lads for a joint-50th birthday, in Riga, Latvia.

Whilst we had a great laugh, and the food and beers were very good, it seemed very pricey, almost topping English prices, and wasn't too special. We found lots of little pockets of bars and restaurants and I was happy with some of the outside sitting areas, it's not a patch on other big cities, such as Prague and Budapest.

I am off to Stalis, Crete next Friday for a week of relaxing Tournament Football watching. I think it's the 8th tournament I've done there.

It was right seedy when I went there about 15 years ago - a bit like Soho in the 1970s/80s - first bar we drank in had a knocking shop in the basement and attractive young students chatting us up to try to tempt us downstairs for a ride on the much older 'attractions'. Lots of 'gentlemen's clubs and so on. Have they cleaned it up at all?

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Don't ask me why, but in August we're heading to the seaside in Poland - absolutely no idea what it's going to be like. A place called Władysławowo near to Gdansk

Anyone ever been? 😬

I know from mates who've been that Gdansk is good, but never heard of the other place.

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Don't ask me why, but in August we're heading to the seaside in Poland - absolutely no idea what it's going to be like. A place called Władysławowo near to Gdansk

Anyone ever been? 😬

Like your style TBH. 
Go somewhere different, do something different. 
Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

I know a guy who gets a map out of the UK or Europe closes his eyes randomly picks a place then goes camping there.

Always enjoyed his holidays 

3 hours ago, cstand said:

Like your style TBH. 
Go somewhere different, do something different. 
Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

I know a guy who gets a map out of the UK or Europe closes his eyes randomly picks a place then goes camping there.

Always enjoyed his holidays 

I'm afraid Mrs Pesley has to take the credit, she likes an obscure foreign trip#

All I know is that it has a beach

image.thumb.png.e92996ab91a009136da08ad3bea17cb4.png

Could be the Polish equivalent of Blackpool, but on the upside - unlike going to the Med, we won't stand out as being the pastiest milk bottles on the sand

I’m off to Barbados with my lad in a couple of weeks to catch the end of T20 World Cup got tickets for the super 6 matches. Englands game with Scotland just been rained off in Barbados bloody typical I be it chucks it down when we’re out there 

5 hours ago, Crewton said:

It was right seedy when I went there about 15 years ago - a bit like Soho in the 1970s/80s - first bar we drank in had a knocking shop in the basement and attractive young students chatting us up to try to tempt us downstairs for a ride on the much older 'attractions'. Lots of 'gentlemen's clubs and so on. Have they cleaned it up at all?

We stumbled across a bar called the Victory, where the bloke assumed we were after that sort of thing and started telling us about the club downstairs where it's €20 to get in,  €10 a beer and €60 a dance. We declined to partake due to combination of price, state of the place (toilet) and wanting to watch CL final.  Think there was another that had been researched called The Royal, but it was thought to be a scam.  There are girls there trying to get you to specific bars to buy them drinks, but they only drink champagne and you get stung for like €150. We took time to speak with the lads that ride the tuktuk bikes and looked after them with tips to see us right.  

8 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Anyone ever been? 😬

No but I heard that Gdańsk was a kind of Polish Liverpool so the seaside part might be a bit like Southport. Bring us a stick of rock 🍻

Posted (edited)

Currently venturing out around the Route de vin from our campsite base in Sélestat, Alsace, in Le Grand Est of France. It’s very much akin to our very own NE enclave of Geordieland!  👀

We’re literally surrounded by (and cycling through) acres and acres of the makings of the local Alsace wines, and Muckerette’s just left the supermarché clutching a bottle of Bordeaux! 🤣

Wet when we arrived (on Saturday) and all day Sunday, but it’s been cracking the cobblestones today, and we’re in for at least a week of mid-20’s sunshine, which suits us just fine!

We have a very loose plan to visit the local Chateau, but not convinced either we or our mid-range (pedal-assist) E-bikes are up to scaling 16% inclines up The Vosges Mountains, so we’ll spend a week building up to it, then see what happens in week two!  We may try and fail, or we may just opt to take the shuttle bus from town! 😲😁😎🥂🚴‍♀️

Edited by Mucker1884

On 24/09/2023 at 03:24, Stagtime said:

6 week UK trip booked for next year, leave Brisbane 28 April and 38 hours later land in Inverness. 3 days in Inverness then 7 days walking the Great Glen Way from Fort William to Inverness. Nothing confirmed after that but looking to stay somewhere around Derby for 3 weeks then head south. 

How's it going mate? Has it stopped raining yet?

23 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

How's it going mate? Has it stopped raining yet?

Had bugger all rain so far. I think the most was in Manchester but that sounds normal for that part of the country. Loving the 2 weeks here doing walks in the Peak District.