Shaun Barker says last night was

Curtains

26 minutes ago, Curtains said:

It’s really 3 at the back when defending  moving to a 5   

Nyambe   Nelson and Cashin

Wilson                                     NML

Got to go now mate. Have a nice day 

It was 100% 4 at the back, Nyambe was pushing on and joining in with the attacks.

9 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

This is the average player positions from last night:

image.png.35c0cbd6aea5d4d3519de73acc9377f2.png

That's clearly a standard back 4.  I'm not saying Wilson didn't help out defensively or anything, but we didn't seem to be doing the thing where Niambe tucks in as a 3rd centre half and Wilson drops back to wingback.  He was playing as winger who helped out his fullback at times.

Backs up what I thought I saw which was pretty much a 4-1-4-1 'base' which occasionally looked like a 4-3-3. For about 70 minutes of the match, anyway,

We were very attacking. Bird & Sibley essentially both playing as no. 10s, NML & Wilson wingers who stayed high up the pitch. Waghorn dropping in to further help link play. Occasionally Bird & Sibley dropped back a bit with NML/Wilson tucking in when needed (hence the 4-3-3).

The issue is of course that it left Hourihane pretty exposed and while they did go through us a few times, it didn't matter in this game because Exeter were so poor. We'd need someone with more pace/presence in Hourihane's role against better teams but surely that's Fornah.

I think what's good about this though is you can tell any of the any of the 'units' to move further forward or fall back (or spread apart / get closer together) to suit the opposition,  without completely altering the shape. The players should then still know how/where to find each other on the pitch which will help us if we need to score on the break.

I'm not saying it doesn't need work or it will bve viable every game, but it makes more sense (to me at least!) than what we've been trying to do for the past 13 months!

4-1-4-1

lineup(2).png.1d8894760de772b8f2edb7a8b629dee8.png

turns to 4-3-3

lineup(3).png.2eda1ed856740703536bf21333f3af67.png

13 minutes ago, Curtains said:

So if you back Warne and try and analyse systems you are made to be an outcast.  Right I get it 

Eh? Nothing to do with backing Warne or otherwise - I was just pointing out that you were talking out of your bum....

13 minutes ago, Curtains said:

So if you back Warne and try and analyse systems you are made to be an outcast.  Right I get it 

I don't see anything anti-Warne in this thread. I don't know why you're getting so defensive (and abusive) when everyone else thinks you're wrong regarding our basic formation last night.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't see anything anti-Warne in this thread. I don't know why you're getting so defensive (and abusive) when everyone else thinks you're wrong regarding our basic formation last 

You constantly knock Warne. Try saying something nice occasionally.

We are all Derby fans.  Get off your high horse