Shaun Barker says last night was

Curtains

33 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

If we're being pedantic, it looked more like a 4-3-3 to me - Bird and Sibley were pretty much level with each other for most of the game, with Hourihane sat behind them.

but sibley was always closer to the striiker and bird was the one getting back making tackles and helping hourihane out, so more like a 4-2-3-1 to me

4 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

but sibley was always closer to the striiker and bird was the one getting back making tackles and helping hourihane out, so more like a 4-2-3-1 to me

It looked more like the McClaren 4-3-3 to me, where Bryson (Sibley) was definitely pushing on more than Hughes (Bird), but they were both clearly playing in front of Eustace (Hourihane).

The key difference with a 4231 compared to 433 is the 2 sitting midfielders, which I don't think we had.  At no point was Bird's starting position alongside Hourihane, he was always more advanced than him and had license to make runs beyond the play (the first goal being the obvious example).

45 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

32 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

It looked more like the McClaren 4-3-3 to me, where Bryson (Sibley) was definitely pushing on more than Hughes (Bird), but they were both clearly playing in front of Eustace (Hourihane).

The key difference with a 4231 compared to 433 is the 2 sitting midfielders, which I don't think we had.  At no point was Bird's starting position alongside Hourihane, he was always more advanced than him and had license to make runs beyond the play (the first goal being the obvious example).

Let's just agree on it being 411121