Derby v Shrewsbury (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

My one main frustration/concern with Warne has been his inability to react/change things in-game. The narrow pitch and Shrewsbury’s efforts are negating the way we normally play (which I know isn’t everyone’s cup of tea anyway) but when plan A isn’t working we should be doing something different. 
We can’t play round em, so maybe change it to play through them, or as they’re sitting in let’s get shots away from range, or play for set pieces as Warne is so often saying. 
We just don’t seem at it which for me is on Warne and the players. 
Don’t care if it’s 4-3-3, 4-4-2, a back 3 or a change of personnel second half but it’s there to be won…if Warne is bold enough to go for it.

6 minutes ago, DRBee said:

As so often a lacklustre first half - no energy no effective press no real goal threat, giving the ball away cheaply all over the park.

Seems almost every week recently I’ve heard PW say he wants the ball moved quicker. Steele saying the same on RD, so why aren’t players whose one job it is to play football able to manage it? 

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

My one main frustration/concern with Warne has been his inability to react/change things in-game. The narrow pitch and Shrewsbury’s efforts are negating the way we normally play (which I know isn’t everyone’s cup of tea anyway) but when plan A isn’t working we should be doing something different. 
We can’t play round em, so maybe change it to play through them, or as they’re sitting in let’s get shots away from range, or play for set pieces as Warne is so often saying. 
We just don’t seem at it which for me is on Warne and the players. 
Don’t care if it’s 4-3-3, 4-4-2, a back 3 or a change of personnel second half but it’s there to be won…if Warne is bold enough to go for it.

Good observation on the narrow pitch. Have to be pretty smart to spot details like that.

2 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Not a great half at all, Fornah having a shocker.

sibley is really not suited to playing wide. It’s number ten or nothing I think.

cashin about the only one to come out of that half with any credit.

Yet the manager persists in playing him there. 

HT

Firstly absolutely disgraceful cheating from Mata and the ref, we’re going to have to be really careful if that’s the refs level for penos.

Onto us………,started off comatose, but fought our way back into it and looked the better team without creating too many clear cut chances.

Then we went completely off the boil from 35 mins on. 

The forward line isn’t working, Sibley’s having a bad time of it on the right, barks looks like he’s given up and Collins is everywhere but where we need him as usual.

Midfield is also a problem, Fornah isn’t in the game, he’s playing too high. Smith’s a bit better but getting caught out of position a lot and Bird has been good when he can get on the ball.

I’d bring Wags on for Collins and maybe NML for Barks. 

Midfield is a bit more difficult, either play Fornah deeper, or swap him out for Hourihane is probably the best option.

Now it’s down to Warne to get the tactical side right and get them motivated 

Poor performance overall, too many players off it. Not sure we can just put it down to tactics though, tactics dont prevent a player from putting a foot in, making runs or putting a cross in. I dont think 1 cross has gone in from Barkhuizen or Sibley in open play.

I think our players have looked spooked during halloween season & have every reason too as the ghost following them around committed a foul on their striker to give them a penalty, im sure he was last 'man' so the ref has sent the ghost off so fully expect a much improved performance 2nd half now....we will go from ghouls to goals.

PW picks pretty much the same team as wanted by the armchair managers. And they are still whining.

Once they are on the pitch it is out of his hands till half time.

The Shrews are playing better than their league position shows.

The pitch has been narrowed to help them stop the runs down the side restricting crosses. Only 2 in the first half.

We need to play quicker and need someone on to control the centre of the pitch.

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Cash? He made some good blocks but he’s been part of a back 4 that has been ran through 3 times and has over hit almost every pass he’s attempted. 

Honestly take out his passes to Foz and Nelson and I bet his pass completion % is about 15%

Yeah I think the two or three blocks were what I was basing it on. Has not been good at all has it.

1 minute ago, DiggerB said:

Seems almost every week recently I’ve heard PW say he wants the ball moved quicker. Steele saying the same on RD, so why aren’t players whose one job it is to play football able to manage it? 

Need players in the right place. Shape is everything. No point telling them to play it quicker if the formation is essentially the same as 10 dogs chasing the ball round a park.

Next time a player gets the ball, look at his options. Look who's making a move, and what you'd do if you had the ball. You'll see there's never usually much on when we have it. That's 100% down to coaching and formation imo.

A better game is to look when we have the ball, and see what runs we should be making. See what movement you'd like the wingers/midfield/strikers to make in order to get into a dangerous position. Then, if you're like me, bang your head against the wall when none of them effing move.

1 minute ago, MickD said:

PW picks pretty much the same team as wanted by the armchair managers. And they are still whining.

Once they are on the pitch it is out of his hands till half time.

The Shrews are playing better than their league position shows.

The pitch has been narrowed to help them stop the runs down the side restricting crosses. Only 2 in the first half.

We need to play quicker and need someone on to control the centre of the pitch.

They also play how he teaches them in training which by the looks of it includes playing in trenches and a rugby post