Derby v Notts County (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

5 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

b******* it’s about building momentum. If we get beat by these who probably will be a league 1 club next year imagine how awful the international break is going to feel. 

I'll reply without the swearing. 

Wouldn't be able to build much momentum in the league if some of our better players became injured playing in this competition 

On 07/10/2023 at 19:53, strawhillram said:

Cba

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/10/prize-money-and-player-development-why-the-efl-trophy-is-on-the-rise?CMP=share_btn_link

Clubs like it because the prize money, in addition to a £20,000 participation fee, brings £10,000 per victory and £5,000 per draw in the group stage, with the figures for a win rising through the rounds to £100,000 for winning the final.Bradford City see the benefits of the competition. “We struggle in the early rounds but the crowds have been higher in recent years,” their chief executive, Ryan Sparks, says. “We have been clear that we will name better teams and take the competition seriously but they are still low four figures.

Edited by Ellafella

I think we will end up playing a strong team: 

image.png.e6e028b49ff3e730f2e943a82834f233.png

Vickers will absolutely start in goal and hopefully gets a good reception from the Derby fans. Forsyth, Nyambe both start due to the injuries to their alternates. Bradley needs minutes so will undoubtedly play and will play on the left hand side, hence why Nelson starts at RCB. Barkhuizen, Hourihane, Bird & Wilson are all in need of minutes - Bird and Hourihane in particular. Sibley, like Bradley, is almost guaranteed to start. Upfront, Waghorn will likely get a chance in the nine rather than the 10 with Collins rested. Equally, we may choose to give Brown a first competitive start. 

Notts County I imagine will play a similar line up to the one they did against Wolves which included about 6/7 backup players who very rarely get a game a couple of rotational players and then a couple of starters in Bostock & Baldwin. I can't imagine McGoldrick is going to see the pitch or even Langstaff. 

Comfortable Derby win - in a ground where there will be 2 Derby fans for every home supporter. 

15 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Vickers will absolutely start in goal and hopefully gets a good reception from the Derby fans. Forsyth, Nyambe both start due to the injuries to their alternates. Bradley needs minutes so will undoubtedly play and will play on the left hand side, hence why Nelson starts at RCB. Barkhuizen, Hourihane, Bird & Wilson are all in need of minutes - Bird and Hourihane in particular. Sibley, like Bradley, is almost guaranteed to start. Upfront, Waghorn will likely get a chance in the nine rather than the 10 with Collins rested. Equally, we may choose to give Brown a first competitive start. 

Notts County I imagine will play a similar line up to the one they did against Wolves which included about 6/7 backup players who very rarely get a game a couple of rotational players and then a couple of starters in Bostock & Baldwin. I can't imagine McGoldrick is going to see the pitch or even Langstaff. 

Comfortable Derby win - in a ground where there will be 2 Derby fans for every home supporter. 

Exactly this, hopefully 😂

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'm expecting some players (such as Forsyth) to be given a rest, whilst others who haven't played much to be given a run out.

The one I'm least sure on is RCB. Nelson is our only natural right sided CB in a back 4, whilst Cashin or Nyambe could be played there "to see how they get on". Washington would have started (LW) if not with the N.Ireland squad, with Barkhuizen at RW and Wilson RB. Without him a little shuffle round to this:

Vickers
Nyambe   Cashin   Bradley   Sibley
Fornah   Hourihane
Wilson   Bird   Barkhuizen
Waghorn

Subs: Wildsmith, Nelson, Forsyth, Smith, Radcliffe, Brown, Collins

Edited by Ghost of Clough
Only 7 subs in this cup?

Unless he thinks Forsyth only needs a rest from LB duties, and decides it's a good opportunity to have a go at the wing back system again, forces Sibley to LWB, wants Bird to get more time further forward...

Waghorn   Washington

Bird

Hourihane          Smith

Sibley                                                  Wilson

Forsyth     Bradley     Nelson

Vickers

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/10/prize-money-and-player-development-why-the-efl-trophy-is-on-the-rise?CMP=share_btn_link

Clubs like it because the prize money, in addition to a £20,000 participation fee, brings £10,000 per victory and £5,000 per draw in the group stage, with the figures for a win rising through the rounds to £100,000 for winning the final.Bradford City see the benefits of the competition. “We struggle in the early rounds but the crowds have been higher in recent years,” their chief executive, Ryan Sparks, says. “We have been clear that we will name better teams and take the competition seriously but they are still low four figures.

Good point well made

54 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

They have sold decent amount in the last few days and will probably have a similar number to us.

I don't care what anyone says, if we lose to Notts County then a chunk of fans will moan, even if it's just the EFL Trophy. A good win would be a good way to go into the break.

I'd like to see them have a proper go at winning this game and to go as far as we can. There is prize money and a possible Wembley appearance up for grabs! What's not to like....? Apart from potential injuries....?

21 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I don't care what anyone says, if we lose to Notts County then a chunk of fans will moan, even if it's just the EFL Trophy. A good win would be a good way to go into the break.

I'd like to see them have a proper go at winning this game and to go as far as we can. There is prize money and a possible Wembley appearance up for grabs! What's not to like....? Apart from potential injuries....?

People on this forum moan when we lose a game?

Can't believe that 

4 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

I'll reply without the swearing. 

Wouldn't be able to build much momentum in the league if some of our better players became injured playing in this competition 

It’s literally a match of football before a week off. We go for the win including the whole tournament. 

lots of fans paying their £15 and outselling the home fans. Deserve to watch a strong team. 

5 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Wow! Big bucks. Not.