Pass and move

jono

There have been one or two old player birthdays recently along with glory day clips of golden goals. Interesting in the build ups how the great players move to receive the ball or move when they’ve passed, that old mantra, make your self available. I’m here, put it there, anticipation. 

I see a lot of zonal coaching, keeping shape, clichees like “transition” and “phase” … All well and good but we seem to be losing a lot of the basics and instincts of pass, move, anticipate. We don’t look for the player making a run, we don’t work enough in 2’s and 3’s with the ball or for say throw ins and overlaps. It’s this sort of basic attacking stuff that catches opponents flat footed while they are all trying to “keep their shape”

Nyambe yesterday did it at least 3 times, the difference was palpable. NML used to do lot when he first arrived but has gone off the boil. Thommo could do it too. Most of the players have it in their locker from their youth but I think it’s getting lost in the “tactical theorems” of the game at this level. Just Sunday morning musings 

Edited by jono

1 hour ago, jono said:

There have been one or two old player birthdays recently along with glory day clips of golden goals. Interesting in the build ups how the great players move to receive the ball or move when they’ve passed, that old mantra, make your self available. I’m here, put it there, anticipation. 

I see a lot of zonal coaching, keeping shape, clichees like “transition” and “phase” … All well and good but we seem to be losing a lot of the basics and instincts of pass, move, anticipate. We don’t look for the player making a run, we don’t work enough in 2’s and 3’s with the ball or for say throw ins and overlaps. It’s this sort of basic attacking stuff that catches opponents flat footed while they are all trying to “keep their shape”

Nyambe yesterday did it at least 3 times, the difference was palpable. NML used to do lot when he first arrived but has gone off the boil. Thommo could do it too. Most of the players have it in their locker from their youth but I think it’s getting lost in the “tactical theorems” of the game at this level. Just Sunday morning musings 

Oh for the days of free-flowing football, when players express themselves and it all looks fluid and fluent and spontaneous. Now it’s mechanical and slow and stereotyped. And boring. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

👏

This is why some posters want Warne out.

Seriously Roy .. and I am appealing to your thoughtful self rather than your meldrew self 😉

Cocu was all be patient play out from the back, don’t rush sidey backwards

We had a bit of an up with Frank on the back of having future England international in the team

Rooney back to the 2 DM’s attempting to pull strings from deep and pick a pass (eventually)

Clement .. same as Cocu

Pearson .. one dimension run at them and let Vydra hope to pick up scraps

Rowett .. bit more organised but there we are “organised” not instinctive. 

I can’t think of one manager in recent times who advanced flair / goals as a focal point. Mac had a system that was frail because it depended on having a reliable DM but he did have a front foot intent and a plan to get goals. It had its flaws that got found out from time to time. 

15 minutes ago, jono said:

Seriously Roy .. and I am appealing to your thoughtful self rather than your meldrew self 😉

Cocu was all be patient play out from the back, don’t rush sidey backwards

We had a bit of an up with Frank on the back of having future England international in the team

Rooney back to the 2 DM’s attempting to pull strings from deep and pick a pass (eventually)

Clement .. same as Cocu

Pearson .. one dimension run at them and let Vydra hope to pick up scraps

Rowett .. bit more organised but there we are “organised” not instinctive. 

I can’t think of one manager in recent times who advanced flair / goals as a focal point. Mac had a system that was frail because it depended on having a reliable DM but he did have a front foot intent and a plan to get goals. It had its flaws that got found out from time to time. 

All of those managers even Rowett managed to pass and move. Warne's team does it sometimes, but it's a struggle and does he really want them to? 

I don't think you can be critical of those managers attempts at playing football. It seems because we're in League 1 it is acceptable to play the turgid messy football that we do play, because Warne is an expert at promotion. We've gone around and around, he's so not a long-term manager for this club, I cannot understand what would be achieved in him sticking around longer.

I think Warne was happy with the chummy small club atmosphere, little pressure, little ambition that the job at Rotherham gave him. He can't have wanted the pressure he gets now? 

Edited by RoyMac5

“Pass and move” is so basic, 6 year olds are taught it . I would like to see some “Third man running”, also basic. While the ball is played between two players - a third player is running into the space . Nyambe was holding out for a Championship club , his wages must be high . I would like to see him try some overlapping.

On 01/10/2023 at 10:54, RoyMac5 said:

All of those managers even Rowett managed to pass and move. Warne's team does it sometimes, but it's a struggle and does he really want them to? 

I don't think you can be critical of those managers attempts at playing football. It seems because we're in League 1 it is acceptable to play the turgid messy football that we do play, because Warne is an expert at promotion. We've gone around and around, he's so not a long-term manager for this club, I cannot understand what would be achieved in him sticking around longer.

I think Warne was happy with the chummy small club atmosphere, little pressure, little ambition that the job at Rotherham gave him. He can't have wanted the pressure he gets now? 

Pease stop using idle speculation as a stick to beat Warne with. I respect your opinion and that you don't like him, but remarks like this do your credibility no favours. Given that pass and move is the basis of modern football, I can't think of a viable reason any manager would be against this notion, including Warne. Barkhuizen's goal in the cup the other week was a great move with incisive passing- that happened recently under Warne so I'm struggling to see where you could have got this idea from?

Just now, YorkshireRam said:

Pease stop using idle speculation as a stick to beat Warne with. I respect your opinion and that you don't like him, but remarks like this do your credibility no favours. Given that pass and move is the basis of modern football, I can't think of a viable reason any manager would be against this notion, including Warne. Barkhuizen's goal in the cup the other week was a great move with incisive passing- that happened recently under Warne so I'm struggling to see where you could have got this idea from?

Why is it idle speculation? It's not possible to tell how he wants them to play a lot of the time - especially after a substitution. One move doesn't a football style make!

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Why is it idle speculation? It's not possible to tell how he wants them to play a lot of the time - especially after a substitution. One move doesn't a football style make!

Because you have no evidence to support your assertion... Plus, there's recent examples of it happening, and has been consistently when we're performing well.

I also don't agree it's hard to see what the gameplan is. Until recently, it was 'get the ball to the wingbacks and pump crosses into the box'. Oxford figured that out and nullified us offensively. If you were critical of how one-dimensional this gameplan is, fair play, but saying ''does Warne even want us to pass and move?'' I just think is a little bit silly, because of course he does- I doubt you'd find a manager ever that didn't...