Match Thread: vs Bolton (A)

Rampant

1 hour ago, The_Sheriff said:

So frustrating reading this thread. Too many waiting to say warne out at the first chance of things going against us.

We just lost to the best team in the league 2-1 with 10 men and a few pen shouts. 

3 pts from pboro and bolton away is not a bad return.

Get behind the team plenty of games left!

But they weren't particularly good. Our football was poor and the midfield didn't function well together. 

Whilst Bradley might have messed up the pass why did Wildsmith handle outside the box?

Thought we mostly fought hard, but sat too deep with no escape route and were hampered by no real plan other than play for freekicks to lump into the box, or corners to sling over.

Well I've calmed down, a bit, but not much. That was such a tough watch. Bolton were on the up from the first minute, and all e could do was run around hoping we could catch up with them eventually. Smith looked like he hadn't been told which planet the match was scheduled to played on, so to only end up losing 2 - 1 is something of a plus. It is probably the horizontal line part of the plus, the bit that looks like a minus.

Sadly, especially after the transfer window we have possibly the best midfield in League 1, but you'd never know because all we do is by-pass the poor sods. And when they do peradventure get the ball, they too seem to be under strict instructions to simply whack it down the wings and into the channels. What a waste. In the season opener against Wigan I thought we actually played some decent football at times, and was beginning to think the Warne had changed tack and was actually going to try football for a change, but those hopes have been dashed to a pulp since then.

We could point to the series of unfortunate events during today's match contributing to our downfall, which to a degree they did. But mostly setting a team up like ours to sit deep and play on the counter attack needs a team that can play counter attack football. We can't, in just the same way we can't play 3 at the back with wing backs, especially when we have not-wing-backs playing as wing backs. It is the tactics which are letting us down. Or should I say tactic, because clearly we only have one of them. 

And we were badly hindered by the match officials yet again. The signs were there from the start. Very early on, with a Bolton defender climbing all over Mendez-Laing's back such that our man was left dumped on the floor. Nothing given, but by direct contrast Bradley's header late on which was tipped over the bar was a free-kick to Bolton. Bradley  bumping into the defender as part of jumping for the ball was seen as hindering the defender. And MNL giving the defender a piggy-back ride as he was being pushed to the ground wasn't? We had the blatant handball just before our penalty, with the ref looking totally bemused that a load of our players were appealing for handball. He probably assumed that we were used to being denied blatant penalties. The biggest irony is that the only time this season that we have been given a penalty was when he should have let our goal stand. But there was another handball in the second half when the ball clearly hit the defender's hand at ground level, Bradley was slam-dunked in the area in possibly the clearest denied penalty of the season so far, and still nothing given. And again when NML was blocked and barged to the ground just inside the box later on. Presumably we were adjudged as being mardy because of the soft/dodgy penalty he gave against us in his assignment to even things up. Grittstone Ram stated that the ref didn't cost us the match, and in that it was our tactics which were at fault, and I am with him on that. But to have so many penalties turned down - we could have had 3 or 4 if we weren't Derby County in just this match alone, and it is already 8 or 9 for the season. After only 5 matches! Just one of those decent shouts for a penno would have given us a point. The one he gave to Bolton doesn't concern me so much whether it was a penalty or not, just that it was a clear example of penalties we are never given, but which always get given against us, with no benefit of the doubt ever going in our favour.

So the ref did cost us the match today, to a degree, but it should have been academical. Bolton are soooooo shaky at the back that if we had played football we would have beaten them comfortably.

At least we haven't got to put with any more of that for 2 weeks now!

Edited by DavesaRam

7 minutes ago, DerbyAleMan said:

For me, and my glass is always half full, watched it on tv, and believe me we could not pass or hold the ball up, our tactics today was hit and hope load the box and hope something drops, needs to start playing through midfield more, and at least mix it up, even I have to admit that was poor today, if you was a neutral, you would have turned that game off. 

Have to agree. Paid my £10 to Rams TV ( I was in Malmo for the game ) and the commentary was dire, almost as dire as the football. I’m conflicted because I love my team and will be eternally grateful to DC for saving the club. This League is very poor and we haven’t got the players for 352. Desperately need to see some cohesion and control, as we got nowhere near Bolton for 20 minutes. Need to play 433 and go for it, with Fornah sat in front of the back four, NML attacking and getting runners into the box. I think Embleton will be key.

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Nobody expects us to win every game. 

Just tired of watching our opponents play really decent football with a coherent plan whilst we do pass pass hoof to the channel until something drops our way or we earn a set piece. 

We played 45 mins with 10 men and don’t Remember them having a chance? They scored from a fluke cross 

1 minute ago, Topram said:

We played 45 mins with 10 men and don’t Remember them having a chance? They scored from a fluke cross 

And for that first 45 minutes how many times did we have possession for more than 4 passes? We look panic stricken on the ball. Genuinely frightened to have possession. 
I had today down as a probably loss but we’ve now watched Oxford, Blackpool, Bolton, Wigan and Posh (other than when they froze after we banged in 4 in 15 mins) play decent progressive football stretching the opposition around with a clear identity whilst we keep listening to our gaffer bemoaning a lack of energy, a lack of bravery etc. 

To name one obvious chance they hit the cross bar… 

8 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Well I've calmed down, a bit, but not much. That was such a tough watch. Bolton were on the up from the first minute, and all e could do was run around hoping we could catch up with them eventually. Smith looked like he hadn't been told which planet the match was scheduled to played on, so to only end up losing 2 - 1 is something of a plus. It is probably the horizontal line part of the plus, the bit that looks like a minus.

Sadly, especially after the transfer window we have possibly the best midfield in League 1, but you'd never know because all we do is by-pass the poor sods. And when they do peradventure get the ball, they too seem to be under strict instructions to simply whack it down the wings and into the channels. What a waste. In the season opener against Wigan I thought we actually played some decent football at times, and was beginning to think the Warne had changed tack and was actually going to try football for a change, but those hopes have been dashed to a pulp since then.

We could point to the series of unfortunate events during today's match contributing to our downfall, which to a degree they did. But mostly setting a team up like ours to sit deep and play on the counter attack needs a team that can play counter attack football. We can't, in just the same way we can't play 3 at the back with wing backs, especially when we have not-wing-backs playing as wing backs. It is the tactics which are letting us down. Or should I say tactic, because clearly we only have one of them. 

And we were badly hindered by the match officials yet again. The signs were there from the start. Very early on, with a Bolton defender climbing all over Mendez-Laing's back such that our man was left dumped on the floor. Nothing given, but by direct contrast Bradley's header late on which was tipped over the bar was a free-kick to Bolton. Bradley  bumping into the defender as part of jumping for the ball was seen as hindering the defender. And MNL giving the defender a piggy-back ride as he was being pushed to the ground wasn't? We had the blatant handball just before our penalty, with the ref looking totally bemused that a load of our players were appealing for handball. He probably assumed that we were used to being denied blatant penalties. The biggest irony is that the only time this season that we have been given a penalty was when he should have let our goal stand. But there was another handball in the second half when the ball clearly hit the defender's hand at ground level, Bradley was slam-dunked in the area in possibly the clearest denied penalty of the season so far, and still nothing given. And again when NML was blocked and barged to the ground just inside the box later on. Presumably we were adjudged as being mardy because of the soft/dodgy penalty he gave against us in his assignment to even things up. Grittstone Ram stated that the ref didn't cost us the match, and in that it was our tactics which were at fault, and I am with him on that. But to have so many penalties turned down - we could have had 3 or 4 if we weren't Derby County in just this match alone, and it is already 8 or 9 for the season. After only 5 matches! Just one of those decent shouts for a penno would have given us a point. The one he gave to Bolton doesn't concern me so much whether it was a penalty or not, just that it was a clear example of penalties we are never given, but which always get given against us, with no benefit of the doubt ever going in our favour.

So the ref did cost us the match today, to a degree, but it should have been academical. Bolton are soooooo shaky at the back that if we had played football we would have beaten them comfortably.

At least we haven't got to put with any more of that for 2 weeks now!

I think we get it Dave, you weren’t too impressed with the ref 🤣

17 minutes ago, Topram said:

We had 45 mins with 10 Men you expect 60% to us? The football isn’t the best but fed up of people expecting us to win every game how many big clubs been stuck in league 1!? People need to get a grip 

How much possession do you think we had before the red card? You saw that first half didn’t you?

I don’t expect us to win every game, I expect us to play a brand of football that gets the best out of the squad of players we have. Ideally, it would be enjoyable to watch but I’d take results over that.

15 minutes ago, Topram said:

I understand that, I just wish we played through our midfield more, and not just play for set pieces and play percentage football, I deffo don't want to be sacking managers every 5 mins either, just think last season there was no reason to sack Liam, we are a team building back the club after what happened to us thanks to Mel, and I will support Derby and Warne every game, just think at times we need to mix it up a bit more, just my opinion. Still believe we will be in the play offs this season as the division is very poor, also think if Liam was here as manager still, we would also be in the play offs at the very least. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

Haven't had time to catch up with this thread but my take on today was that we didn't do the ugly stuff well at all today. Fozzy looked like the only one that was up for it and won the majority of his battles.

The amount of times we let their centre halves just stroll 10/15 yards forward unchallenged was embarrassing. They will not have an easier afternoon than we gave them today. 

I think we missed Thompson ratting about, picking up second balls. We also could have done with him to sit on their lad Dempsey(I think that's his name). He also had an easy afternoon and we made him look a world beater.

It was a poor performance that was confounded by the the sending off. Making it an almost impossible task. However we bizarrely did seem more up for it once we went down to 10 men. Anybody seen the sending off back? Was it a fair decision? 

56 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Warne: all that was missing today was some more energy… 

…it wasn’t a bad game. 

Stood shaking my head. Energy? Not being able to knit more than 3 passes together for me but I’m not a football manager.

Oh FFS. Did you listen to the new Academy manager's interview on RamsTV? When he talked about getting academy players ready for the first team, the first quality he mentioned was they have to be fit enough. 

8 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

How much possession do you think we had before the red card? You saw that first half didn’t you?

I don’t expect us to win every game, I expect us to play a brand of football that gets the best out of the squad of players we have. Ideally, it would be enjoyable to watch but I’d take results over that.

Yes i Saw it I was there like most games, Pw was brought in for a reason not pretty football but promotion maybe if people got behind it and not call for his head after every loss would help, Ipswich Sunderland Bolton loads like us we’re stuck we aren’t entitled like people think it’s a tough league 

3 minutes ago, Topram said:

Yes i Saw it I was there like most games, Pw was brought in for a reason not pretty football but promotion maybe if people got behind it and not call for his head after every loss would help, Ipswich Sunderland Bolton loads like us we’re stuck we aren’t entitled like people think it’s a tough league 

Do you think we'd win more games if the forum was empty of comments? 😄

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? Really? What on earth did he mean? 

He's losing touch with reality, interview by interview, it seems.

Astounded, if he thinks Bradley doesn’t make us worse than playing Cashin, then he may be at the beginning of the end of his tenure.