Tyreece John-Jules

McMuffin

I would take him back.  I think we saw some promising moments with him and he clearly fits the age/pace/good human characteristics elements. And he knows the club, and the demands. So far so good.

His injury record being the problem which I would mitigate not on a play for pay contract but a limited contract renewal in our favour  eg one year with a second year dependant on numbers of games played, bonuses based on appearances as well as goals etc. In the end he may have clubs willing to take more of a risk than us financially - he has a good reputation in a position that’s in short supply and therefore valuable. But if we want him enough he appeared to enjoy his time with us so that may work in our favour. 

3 hours ago, eddy779h34 said:

For me 6 months to prove his fitness, look at it again at christmas 

I think there is a talented player if you can get him fit 

We did that last year and all he proved was that sadly, he couldn’t manage it! Agreed, he is an undoubted talent but he’s played the equivalent of 22 full matches in the last 3 seasons, and just 377 minutes for us before breaking down again. At 23, and with the athletic demands likely expected by PW I can’t see it being a smart signing, whatever the deal.

6 hours ago, Terry Hennessy said:

"And why would he sign up for a pay as you play..."

It would get his career back on track. I'll give you an example. At the age of 62 I found myself unemployed. I had some years previously been a Recruitment Consultant. Surprise surprise nobody wanted to employ me. I joined a company on just that basis. Make a placement...get commission. I had no basic pay. I became the biggest earner in that company until I retired some years later....the same could work for him if he could prove his fitness...

Good point Tez, apart from the fact that you probably didn’t break your wrist when you picked up the phone to call your first client 😎

A lot of talent, but his body couldn't hack the rigours of League One. Poor lad has been injured most of his time career, and I see no reason for that to change with a step up into the Championship. 

Maybe someone who can afford gamble will get a bargain? But despite everyone wishing it was a thing, I've never heard of an actual "pay as you play" contract in high-level footy. We should pass. In the loan market, our move into the Championship should make us more attractive to top Prem clubs and less in need of having to gamble. 

We need developmental talents and TJJ is a great option, but it's a problem how easily he gets injured. As long as he isn't cost prohibitive then keeping his talent in the building is the important thing.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

We need developmental talents and TJJ is a great option, but it's a problem how easily he gets injured. As long as he isn't cost prohibitive then keeping his talent in the building is the important thing.

And if we were still in L1 I might (but probably still wouldn’t) consider the risk just about worth taking. We were his 6th loan in 4 years though, and in that time he’s only made 66 appearances. How long do we risk on him developing into a consistently available Champ CF? Do we bung him in our U21s as an over-age player for 6-months? How might that aid his development and our Champ survival hopes? On a risk-reward basis it just doesn’t stack up for me.

Edited by DiggerB

1 minute ago, DiggerB said:

And if we were still in L1 I might (but probably still wouldn’t) consider the risk just about worth taking. We were his 6th loan in 4 years though, and in that time he’s only made 66 appearances. How long do we risk on him developing into a consistently available Champ CF? Do we bung him in our U21s as an over-age player for 6-months? How might that aid his development and our Champ survival hopes? On a risk-reward basis it just doesn’t stack up for me.

Depends on his wages, but if they’re reasonable then you give him a home and see if he comes on. We know talent isn’t an issue and that’s usually the biggest problem when recruiting. TJJ has fitness problems, for sure, and if someone gives him a great deal when walk away but otherwise put him with Dej Brown and try and progress him. Worst case is that he doesn’t progress but sign him on low wages and no fee and we’re no worse off. He has ability to play at Championship level, at one point he was seen as one of the most elite prospects in the country. Take the gamble, seems like a good kid. 

If we weren't needing to extract every the penny's worth of value from available funds, I'd definitely take a punt as the lad has bags of ability. If there is any interest though, the club will have access to medical data that we don't and also the option of an extended trial through pre-season, if they wanted to properly evaluate him.

As things stand, I'd be reticent though, though more based on instinct than anything salient. It's a great shame, as he seems to be a top lad and it was obvious how much he wanted things to work out, but my hunch is that we'll likely pass him up this time around.

Sidenote, for those saying pay as you play contracts are a myth, two words... Jordan Ibe. It does happen, being the point. 

Posted (edited)

Yea, I see suggestions all the time for 'Pay as you play contracts' but I don't think they are even a thing, I cant recall hearing about any players in the EFL that play on that basis.

I think he is worth the gamble, has obvious talent if he can stay injury free long enough to get match sharp. Personally I'd go in with a really low wage offer with a decent increase based on appearances. E.g, 2-3k p/w doubling if/when he gets to 20 appearances. Gives him a bit of incentive to be doing extra work outside of hours to do some strength & conditioning.

Edited by Dan_Ram

18 minutes ago, Dan_Ram said:

Yea, I see suggestions all the time for 'Pay as you play contracts' but I don't think they are even a thing, I cant recall hearing about any players in the EFL that play on that basis.

I think he is worth the gamble, has obvious talent if he can stay injury free long enough to get match sharp. Personally I'd go in with a really low wage offer with a decent increase based on appearances. E.g, 2-3k p/w doubling if/when he gets to 20 appearances. Gives him a bit of incentive to be doing extra work outside of hours to do some strength & conditioning.

You've basically explained what a pay as you play deal is these days. Low weekly wage, big bonuses on appearances/minutes.

We already have Elder, Washington and Ward who seem to be injury prone. Rooney’s also returning from a serious (hopefully one off) injury. I know every signing is a risk but just don’t think it’s worth it with TJJ. It’s mot just last season but now several seasons where he seems to have been injured for significant periods. Massive shame as he obviously has talent, is still young and seems to be one of Warne’s “right types”.

I seem to remember someone from the club saying that the rams medical team had managed to get to the bottom of the long term issues that he’d been suffering with - if that’s true then the season ending injury may just have been a case of us being desperate for a striker and rushing him back and him being over keen to show what he could do. He may not be quite such a risk if he can get a ‘Warne’ full preseason under his belt….