Andy Yiadom

Dartmouth Ram

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

If we're ditching the 5 at the back we do need someone who's somewhat competent defensively at RB (we can't really move Smith back there if we lose Bird and/or don't get a new midfielder)... although tbh I have no idea whether Yiadom is actually any good.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Who are our right backs? 

Ward is a winger/wingback 

Wilson isn't a right back. That's why he couldn't get in Bristol City's team cos they switched to a four at the back.

So in terms of an out and out right back who can play in a 4. Where are all our right backs that we have a team of?

We're on about playing 4 at the back on Saturday and right now it looks like Smith is going to have to play there.

50 minutes ago, BPV said:

Although I think signing a right back and playing 4 at the back is the right move, it doesn’t half get on my t*ts that Warne couldn’t see the players he’s splashed all our wage budget on wouldn’t fit that system. So needs to now spend our remaining budget signing a 3rd player capable of playing on the right hand side of our defence. 
Either that or Wards injury is a bad one. 

Yet again another player over the age of 30 with absolutely no resale value or room to improve. I just don’t understand what is going on with our recruitment this year at all. 

We played with Cyrus Christie as a right back in a fairly successful championship season and he was rarely conservative. Elder hardly seems the type to be bombing down the wing so a back 4 with Elder and Ward/Wilson as full backs has the right balance for me. Don’t need another bloody defender in their 30s. 

38 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

We played with Cyrus Christie as a right back in a fairly successful championship season and he was rarely conservative. Elder hardly seems the type to be bombing down the wing so a back 4 with Elder and Ward/Wilson as full backs has the right balance for me. Don’t need another bloody defender in their 30s. 

I'll join you in the Christie anti-appreciation but that was in a far more competent defence overall with plenty of quality throughout the rest of the squad.

Christie's desertion of defensive duties was annoying in the extreme but Keogh at least had some pace to cover for his forward forays.

Elder's record for LB the last time he was in League One with Hull was 10 assists I think? Suggests he's quite attacking?

I do sort of agree with you, but we have to remember that Warne & McLaren's tactical awareness were somewhat distant from one another.

33 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Yiadom plays RB in a back 4, LB in a back 4, and can play any role in a back 3. He's far more versatile than just pigeon holing him as a RB. If he's free and it's a low wages then I'd have no problem with this signing at all.

That's all well and good, but the real question is..  Will he be Warnes mate?

7 hours ago, Magicman said:

We don't need another RB now but he would have been a good option before.

We did ok with Corey Smith and Sibs there so I say we concentrate on getting a good central midfielder in. 
To be honest I expected much more from Smith in midfield (albeit early days) but he’s been pretty pants so far… anonymous .

If we were looking for a RB who can play across a back 4 wouldn't either Ryan Nyambe or Steven Sessegnon be better options? 

Both currently out of contract, both right side of 30 and both realistic signings for L1.

I totally get the need for having experience through the squad but we should also be looking long term. With this current model we'll be rebuilding the squad every two years with very little or no resale value to show for it.

Bonkers.